Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-11-2014, 09:20 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

How to find detailed information about advanced settings?

Just got my K-3 and so far I like it. It feels like a K-5ii with everything done better plus useful features from the K-30 (focus peaking).

But I am really confused about the advanced settings of the camera. I have a rough idea what they do but it's hard to tell what they really do and what potential side effects they have.

Examples:
- HDR. It looks like the K-3 takes HDR images in RAW. How does that compare to bracketing and then doing HDR with software?
- What do Highlight And Shadow Correction really do? Are they useful when you shot in RAW?
- What do the High ISO and Low Shutter Speed do? Do they provide an advantage over noise reduction with software?
- What does "Hold AF status" do exactly? are there examples showing the behavior?

There are plenty more settings I wonder about. For Nikon and Canon it's usually possible to find articles and videos on the web but the K-3 I haven't had any luck finding anything.

Does anybody know how to find more info? Is there an expanded/detailed manual somewhere?

10-11-2014, 09:43 AM - 1 Like   #2
Unregistered User

When you do a HDR RAW it packs the three files into one file and you can later extract them in the Pentax software. No difference to doing a bracketing BUT if you develop in camera you will get a finished HDR. Also you can shoot RAW+ to get the jpg directly. No software sees the HDR RAW as HDR, not even Pentax. It will show you one of the packed files.

Highlight and shadow does what is says, lower the highlights and opens up the shadows. If you shoot RAW and use Pentax software it will be applied in the software but if using Adobe it will not have any impact.

The HighISO I always have turned off.

The ISO at slow shutter speed kicks in when slower than 30 seconds and gives you a dark frame subtraction. Meaning if you shoot for 60 secs it will do a dark frame for 60 more seconds to remove sensor errors.

Hold AF. Look at the film they have at the Pentax site. It will hold the focus if something closer to you gets in the way of your subject, a person or a tree or...

---------- Post added 10-11-14 at 06:45 PM ----------

There is a book by someone, I do not remember, but search the forum for "K3 manual Sucks"...

---------- Post added 10-11-14 at 06:47 PM ----------

Found it: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/246364-yvons-k-3-book-available.html
10-11-2014, 10:07 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
When you do a HDR RAW it packs the three files into one file and you can later extract them in the Pentax software. No difference to doing a bracketing BUT if you develop in camera you will get a finished HDR. Also you can shoot RAW+ to get the jpg directly. No software sees the HDR RAW as HDR, not even Pentax. It will show you one of the packed files.

Highlight and shadow does what is says, lower the highlights and opens up the shadows. If you shoot RAW and use Pentax software it will be applied in the software but if using Adobe it will not have any impact.

The HighISO I always have turned off.

The ISO at slow shutter speed kicks in when slower than 30 seconds and gives you a dark frame subtraction. Meaning if you shoot for 60 secs it will do a dark frame for 60 more seconds to remove sensor errors.

Hold AF. Look at the film they have at the Pentax site. It will hold the focus if something closer to you gets in the way of your subject, a person or a tree or...

---------- Post added 10-11-14 at 06:45 PM ----------

There is a book by someone, I do not remember, but search the forum for "K3 manual Sucks"...

---------- Post added 10-11-14 at 06:47 PM ----------

Found it: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/246364-yvons-k-3-book-available.html
Thanks. This is very helpful. I wish they would put this information into the manual. It seems the manual is written by somebody who doesn't really understand how the camera works.
10-11-2014, 10:09 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by maxxxx Quote
Does anybody know how to find more info? Is there an expanded/detailed manual somewhere?
There is an e-book that is supposedly provides greater detail. I have not read it, so can't say whether it is any good.

Pentax K-3 e-book

Steve

10-11-2014, 10:10 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just did a test with the HDR mode. The resulting file is really 3 times as big as the usual size. But Lightroom just shows it as one picture without any indication that this file contains more than one image.

So HDR here really means that it's just a way of stacking bracketed images into one file. And with Lightroom you don't even know that the image is bracketed.

---------- Post added 10-11-14 at 10:12 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
There is an e-book that is supposedly provides greater detail. I have not read it, so can't say whether it is any good.

Pentax K-3 e-book

Steve
I got this book for the K-30 and I didn't find it contained enough information about the details I am looking for.
10-12-2014, 11:16 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by maxxxx Quote
So HDR here really means that it's just a way of stacking bracketed images into one file. And with Lightroom you don't even know that the image is bracketed.
Yes, that is the way it is. For RAW shooting the usual solution is to simply shoot a bracket set and use a software tool to merge the images.

Steve
10-12-2014, 01:26 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can use the supplied Digital Camera Utility 5 to split an HDR image into its component images. [Tools->Separation of HDR RAW file...] The process is a very slow; I don't know why.

Cheers,
Lou

Last edited by lm4187; 10-12-2014 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Wrong topic.
10-26-2014, 04:40 AM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteQuote:

This is try for shadows, but Highlight correction have influence on the RAW files... And with this correction ON minimal ISO is 200...