Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-04-2014, 04:26 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
you must enable the aperture ring in the menu settings.
This is the first thing I did to my K3

11-04-2014, 05:57 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have never understood why it is not on by default. You never know when you may need to use a lens with an aperture ring. I have never seen any disadvantage to turning the aperture ring option on. Just seems like a needless option.
11-04-2014, 06:00 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
I have never understood why it is not on by default. You never know when you may need to use a lens with an aperture ring. I have never seen any disadvantage to turning the aperture ring option on. Just seems like a needless option.
Agreed, maybe pentax don't want people to think they can use manual lenses on DSLRs.
11-04-2014, 06:02 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

But retention of the Kmount is evidence that Pentax does want people to be able to use all older lenses. I wonder if there is some issue we do not detect with having the aperture ring enabled.

11-04-2014, 06:04 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe, I can't imagine what it might be though?

---------- Post added 11-04-14 at 01:08 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
When in Av you descide the aperture and the camera the shutter speed. Thatīs it. What more do you want to do? The same goes for Tv, you descide the shutter speed and the camera sets the aperture...

Please explain your trail of thoughts.
The other strange thing is that when you look at the picture taken it says the shutter speed was 1/8000 but it's massively over exposed.
If I then set the same settings in manual the picture is massively under exposed as you'd expect at 1/8000.
11-04-2014, 09:17 AM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stubyles Quote
This is the first thing I did to my K3
Based on your comments, you apparently did not read the rest of my suggestion and/or are not familiar with the use of non-A contact lenses on your K-3. You can't use Av mode and expect the lens to stop down if you are controlling the aperture from the ring on the lens. Av mode is used when the aperture is being controlled by the body. Your K 50/1.2 does not support that feature and there is no work-around that will allow it to do so.

Use M mode with stop-down metering or external meter when using lenses that lack the "A" contacts.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-me...k-x-k-7-a.html

Steve
11-04-2014, 10:01 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Agreed, maybe pentax don't want people to think they can use manual lenses on DSLRs.
I believe it's done to avoid operating mirror & shutter without a lens mounted.

11-04-2014, 10:49 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Based on your comments, you apparently did not read the rest of my suggestion and/or are not familiar with the use of non-A contact lenses on your K-3. You can't use Av mode and expect the lens to stop down if you are controlling the aperture from the ring on the lens. Av mode is used when the aperture is being controlled by the body. Your K 50/1.2 does not support that feature and there is no work-around that will allow it to do so.

Use M mode with stop-down metering or external meter when using lenses that lack the "A" contacts.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-me...k-x-k-7-a.html

Steve
I use AV mode on manual aperture lenses all the time and the camera sets the shutter speed perfectly.
Yes, it can't stop the lens down but it meters and sets the shutter speed accordingly.
it just won't do it with my K50 in the scenarios I describe.
11-04-2014, 11:32 AM   #24
Unregistered User

I use AV mode on manual aperture lenses all the time and the camera sets the shutter speed perfectly.
Yes, it can't stop the lens down but it meters and sets the shutter speed accordingly.
it just won't do it with my K50 in the scenarios I describe.
When using my M42-lenses I can use Av for continous measuring but with my Chinon lens, K-mount, no A-setting, I need to use M-mode and stop down metering since I will not be able to get the aperture to close when in Av-mode.

I wonder if the behaviour in Av was different on my K-5 or earlier firmware on the K-3... No.

Remember that if you are using Live View the green button will not work in M-mode unless the contacts are shortened which is not always the case with older lenses. If so, use Av.

Last edited by Unregistered User; 11-04-2014 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Added
11-04-2014, 02:17 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
When using my M42-lenses I can use Av for continous measuring but with my Chinon lens, K-mount, no A-setting, I need to use M-mode and stop down metering since I will not be able to get the aperture to close when in Av-mode.

I wonder if the behaviour in Av was different on my K-5 or earlier firmware on the K-3... No.

Remember that if you are using Live View the green button will not work in M-mode unless the contacts are shortened which is not always the case with older lenses. If so, use Av.
I'll have to have a good look at it, clean the base, etc. Maybe try it on my daughters K-x.
Thanks for the input.