Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2014, 07:55 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K3 Exposure Button

On my Pentax PZ1P when set to manual exposure I could push one button and the exposure would be set but on the K3 in manual I need to use the dial to set the correct exposure. Is there a method on the K3 in order for it to set the exposure as on the PZ1P? I really don't want to use the exposure lock and the green button changes the f stop setting when pressed so that is not good for me.

11-02-2014, 09:01 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Try setting the camera on tav...it will adjust the iso according to your settings......or the av if you prefer to have the camera adjust the speed....
11-02-2014, 09:02 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yes, K3 has Hyper-Manual where you use the green-button to set exposure.

I believe it set to P-shift by default (camera set both aperture and shutter speed), but in custom setting you can change it to Av- or Tv-shift.
If you don't want it to change aperture you need to set it to Tv-shift.
11-02-2014, 09:10 AM   #4
Forum Member

More to that, you can actually assign green button to have different function in different modes, so while it would do Tv-shift in one mode, it can do Av or sensitivity shift in another.
You'll find it in Menu, page 4, E-dial programming.

11-02-2014, 09:39 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To expand on the above comments, you can change how the green button behaves in M-mode using the E-Dial Programming (menu/capture/4/E-Dial Programming/2/M). Available options are:
  • P (default) : Sets both aperture and shutter speed according to the program line, the same as in P mode
  • Tv Shift : Changes shutter speed only
  • Av Shift : Changes aperture only
  • -- : Does nothing
The default should be closest to how your PZ-1P works when it is in hyper-manual mode. When using the aperture ring for lenses that have that feature, the green button behavior defaults to Tv Shift and behaves similarly to your PZ-1P.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-02-2014 at 10:01 AM.
11-02-2014, 11:11 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The green button has been one of the best features on Pentax bodies. Just sayin'.
11-02-2014, 02:30 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks so much to everyone I now have the green button working in the manual setting as per my photo method. And you are right this green button is great I did not know it had so many options and up until now I was a little disappointed that I didn't have my old PZ1P button. You guys are great.

11-03-2014, 08:01 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Thanks for the tips guys! Correct me if I'm wrong, can't you assign 2 different settings to front and back edial?
11-03-2014, 10:13 AM   #9
Forum Member

you can indeed. I actually didn#t found yet an option to assign same function to both dials.You can choose between Av, Tv, Exp. compensation, sensitivity value, TAv....although not every option is available in every mode.
11-03-2014, 03:22 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bulldogface Quote
you can indeed. I actually didn#t found yet an option to assign same function to both dials.You can choose between Av, Tv, Exp. compensation, sensitivity value, TAv....although not every option is available in every mode.
I've found this quite frustrating.
When I try to use my K50/1.2 in AV mode I can't set the green button to TV-shift so I have to use manual, annoying when I'm in a changing light situation.
Am I right in assuming that this can't be done?
11-03-2014, 03:42 PM   #11
Forum Member

You cannot assign green button to Tv in Av mode. Which would kinda defeat a purpose of Aperture priority (adjust Tv automatically to match desired Aperture) in the first place, wouldn't it?
11-03-2014, 03:46 PM   #12
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by stubyles Quote
When I try to use my K50/1.2 in AV mode I can't set the green button to TV-shift so I have to use manual, annoying when I'm in a changing light situation.
When in Av you descide the aperture and the camera the shutter speed. Thatīs it. What more do you want to do? The same goes for Tv, you descide the shutter speed and the camera sets the aperture...

Please explain your trail of thoughts.
11-03-2014, 03:59 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
When in Av you descide the aperture and the camera the shutter speed. Thatīs it. What more do you want to do? The same goes for Tv, you descide the shutter speed and the camera sets the aperture...

Please explain your trail of thoughts.
But it won't set the shutter speed with the K50, it will happily with the A50 but not the K so I have to use manual in order to use the green button to meter and set the appropriate speed.
I think it only happens in bright sunlit scenarios with the lens at the fast end of aperture.
Maybe because there is no auto aperture control by the camera it's getting too much light in for it to meter properly?

---------- Post added 11-03-14 at 11:03 PM ----------

You cannot assign green button to Tv in Av mode. Which would kinda defeat a purpose of Aperture priority (adjust Tv automatically to match desired Aperture) in the first place, wouldn't it?
You're right but it won't on my K50.
11-03-2014, 07:39 PM   #14
Inactive Account

I thought that's how I set mine up, didn't have it with me when I asked this question.
When I first got the K3,I thought my green button was useless, until I found the options in the menu to assign to it! Silly me!
11-03-2014, 10:01 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stubyles Quote
Your K 50/1.2 does not have the "A" position on the aperture ring (no "A" contacts on the mount). The body is not able to set the aperture and Av mode is only minimally functional. The lens remains wide open regardless of the aperture set on the lens. The green button also does nothing.

To use your K 50/1.2 on any Pentax dSLR and have the ability to set the aperture, you must enable the aperture ring in the menu settings. You will then be able to operate the camera in M-mode using stop-down metering with the green button. With stop-down metering the green button always operates as Tv shift based on the meter reading with the lens stopped down.

Steve