Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-04-2014, 08:52 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If you come from a point and shoot it is really helpful to get a basic understanding of all the terminology used in manuals and this forum.
I started about a year ago with a dslr and was very happy for some basic information at youtube. I searched for videos that were informative and entertaining.
I would recommend Mike Browne. He got more into marketing himself lately, but i really like his basic instruction videos. I understood them as a total noob.
I canīt stand the manual for the K-3. I donīt get much information out of it. If you donīt know the basics the manual wonīt help you at all.
Perhaps some of his videos will help you as well: https://www.youtube.com/user/photoexposed/playlists
I would recommend the camera controls segment to start with.

11-04-2014, 09:31 AM   #17

Original Poster
Wonderful feedback all. Thanks so much for taking the time to share these insights/experiences/tips :-) Awesome community support!!
11-04-2014, 09:35 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Regarding freezing - just a thought, not a known issue or anything - be sure your e-dials are in detents, not stuck between them.
11-04-2014, 12:31 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I have had my K-3 freeze several times too in the last 4 weeks. So far I haven't been able to find out what's causing this.

11-04-2014, 07:30 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TrailRunner Quote
Hi all,
Question 1: after taking several pics and viewing them on the LCD screen, I set the camera down on the table in front of me. When I picked it up after a minute or so, the screen was frozen. I couldn't even turn off the camera. Eventually, I had to remove the battery. After replacing the battery, all was well. Is this normal? I'm a little freaked, as it's brand new. I read some reviews from people who experienced weird freezing issues as well as mirror flapping. Really really hoping this isn't an indicator of things to come...

Question 2: good God, the manual is dense. Looking forward to getting to the point where I can begin playing with Aperture and Shutter Speed and take pictures. How did other newbies penetrate the amazing amount of info conveyed in this manual? I get that I jumped into a whole new level of camera, but wow, this will take a while... any good vids to help ease the transition?
Answer 1: It happens to me very occasionally, but not enough to really be annoying to me. I just take out the battery, stick it back in, and all is well.

Answer 2: My K-3 was my first DSLR. I didn't read the manual, actually-- I just pestered one of my friends with questions about how I could do different photography things or what various buttons/menus did. You can do the same thing with our forum here!
11-04-2014, 07:44 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Best way is just to start using the camera and see what works and what does not. Read the forum. If you need it perhaps buy a simple beginners book about photography. The forum has a very good set of articles about various camera topics which can be very helpful.
11-24-2014, 11:56 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Today my new K-3 arrived and already had its first lock-up. I had to remove the battery to make it operational again. It happened while reviewing PEF RAW images. The firmware version is 1.11. I hope this was a random fluke and does not turn into a pattern.

11-25-2014, 06:42 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TrailRunner Quote
Hi all,

Okay, so, I'm a total newb. Just stepping up from a point and shoot. So, ignorance aside.. opened my K-3 package, my lens, attached them, read from the rather daunting manual for a while, and took some pics (after inserting my charged battery and new recommended high speed memory card).

Question 1: after taking several pics and viewing them on the LCD screen, I set the camera down on the table in front of me. When I picked it up after a minute or so, the screen was frozen. I couldn't even turn off the camera. Eventually, I had to remove the battery. After replacing the battery, all was well. Is this normal? I'm a little freaked, as it's brand new. I read some reviews from people who experienced weird freezing issues as well as mirror flapping. Really really hoping this isn't an indicator of things to come...
Though there are undoubtedly some faulty k3's out there its also true to say there is some 'hysteria' in the forums around mirror flops / lockups.

The k3 is a computer and as such requires a very clean power supply.
The k3 is a camera is a light portable camera and as such needs the lightest battery that can sport the load
add to this
New batteries tend to sag under load during first few charge/discharge cycles

You can see why lots of computerized electronics portable equipment has reported lockups/reboots when new often with reports that it never happened again

So in summary a couple of random lockups when your equipment is new is not any indication of future behavior, only if it becomes frequent or non random is there cause to worry but then manufacturers give you a warranty to alleviate that worry .

The latest FW causes the camera to issue a reset in the event of a mirror mis-cycle and though it will stop flopping you should still send you camera for service if this happens frequently as it indicates a service error with the mirror box motor system (sync).

Yet again when the camera is new it may lose sync due to bearing tightness so again only worry if it doesn't stop with use.
11-25-2014, 08:25 AM   #24
Veteran Member

The new battery being the culprit does not apply in my case, since I was using the freshly charged identical battery from my K-01 at the time.
11-25-2014, 09:16 AM   #25
Veteran Member

I do not like the manual on the K-3. The K-5 manual was so wonderful and useful. With the K-3, I actually went out and bought that E-Book:

http://www.ebooks4cameras.com/Pentax-K-3-e-book-NOW-AVAILABLE-K-3.htm

That has been much more useful for me than the manual. It's a PDF, so like the manual, I keep it handy on my phone. I did print out parts of the book that I felt were most relevant to me (a few of the initial chapters).

Otherwise, just shooting photos, playing with the settings, and then shooting again can be the best way to learn your camera and figure it out.
11-25-2014, 03:04 PM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ikarus Quote
It happened while reviewing PEF RAW images.
I have had this problem several times in the 9 months since I bought my K-3 and usually while reviewing images. Once or twice it happened while actively shooting resulting in missed shots. There has been speculation regarding batteries, but I am dubious regarding those claims. OTOH, the last time was a few months ago, so maybe it does have something to do with power. Have you talked to Pentax to see what they suggest? Since your camera is brand new, you may want to contact the store and suggest a replacement.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-25-2014 at 03:13 PM.
11-26-2014, 10:16 PM   #27
Veteran Member

If you haven't reached 30 days since delivery (or is it purchase?), order the extended warranty for $20. Three years instead of just one, and a free cleaning ($20 shipping) at any time in year 2 or 3. Even if you don't have another hiccup, its worth the peace of mind. The extended warranty is Ricoh/Pentax authorized.
11-26-2014, 10:27 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Am I the only one to use toilet time to read manuals etc?
11-27-2014, 05:37 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nope!