Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2014, 12:00 AM   #1

K-3 Wireless flash set-up?

Hello everyone.

I just bought my first external flash tonight, a used AF-360FGZ!

My question is: How do I set it up for wireless use with my K-3? I have followed the steps outlined in the user's manual as well as the "Registering the Flash Channel for Wireless Flash" article on the Pentax.com help section but unsuccessfully.

I have also tried following a couple very well made videos on youtube, but still cannot get it to work because the Wireless flash option is greyed-out in the flash menu.

Thank you!

11-05-2014, 12:49 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
first of all make sure the back side of the flash, the plastic light has direct vision with your camera, this simple step I missed when I first used it....then if you just use the info screen, rather than going to menu, and use the arrow pointing down it will take you to the four flash chices, of which you want to choose wireless remote, make sure the flash is on slave....and the camera flash is up.....this should work, let me know what happens....
11-05-2014, 01:58 AM   #3
Veteran Member

pop up flash is up? Not in green Mode? Wireless mode selected on flash?
11-05-2014, 03:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
pop up flash is up? Not in green Mode? Wireless mode selected on flash?
I shoot with the flash up....adds a little key light anyway....don't know if it's neccesary.....it works like this for me using two speedlights, my Pentax and sigma flash...This is remote using the k3 as the master, not a seperate remote controller....

11-08-2014, 07:24 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks all for your replies!

QuoteOriginally posted by phoenixvision Quote
first of all make sure the back side of the flash, the plastic light has direct vision with your camera, this simple step I missed when I first used it....then if you just use the info screen, rather than going to menu, and use the arrow pointing down it will take you to the four flash chices, of which you want to choose wireless remote, make sure the flash is on slave....and the camera flash is up.....this should work, let me know what happens....
@Phoenixvision, I followed all these steps. The flash is in wireless slave mode . Interesting note: whenever I half-press the shutter and metering is on, the the slave mode disappears from the flash screen and It automatically sets itself to a focal length of 16mm and blinks. Whenever metering stops, it returns to where it was before.

I tried accessing the wireless mode as you mentioned, but cannot find it in under the "info" menu, only main camera settings there (ISO limits, file format, ...). When I try to access it under the flash menu on the K-3 screen (bottom key on the 4-way controller), the wireless option is greyed-out and not selectable.
11-08-2014, 08:24 AM   #6
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by pomabille Quote

@Phoenixvision, I followed all these steps. The flash is in wireless slave mode . Interesting note: whenever I half-press the shutter and metering is on, the the slave mode disappears from the flash screen and It automatically sets itself to a focal length of 16mm and blinks. Whenever metering stops, it returns to where it was before.

I tried accessing the wireless mode as you mentioned, but cannot find it in under the "info" menu, only main camera settings there (ISO limits, file format, ...). When I try to access it under the flash menu on the K-3 screen (bottom key on the 4-way controller), the wireless option is greyed-out and not selectable.

What shooting mode are you in? Wireless is not available in "remote 3sec." or "M.UP" modes.
11-08-2014, 02:21 PM   #7
Pentaxian

It's also not available in Green (auto) mode.

11-10-2014, 08:05 AM   #8
Veteran Member

This could only happen if you have th eflash on the camera as 'slave' and on camera makes no sense , so don;t put the flash in slave when flash is on camera .....only master or controller have any revelvance for on camera flash.

quick summay

k3 in shot mode (half press shutter and release)

1 press flash icon on k3 ( may need to press (1-2) button if selector is in AF mode)
2 select wflash icon
3 cursor down select master or control as required
4 pop up flash

1 MCS switch to S
2 on off switch to middle position (wireless)

test
11-15-2014, 12:12 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Al_Kahollick Quote
What shooting mode are you in? Wireless is not available in "remote 3sec." or "M.UP" modes.
I'm in all the most basic modes, either P, Av or M, single frame shooting.

QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
quick summay

k3 in shot mode (half press shutter and release)

1 press flash icon on k3 ( may need to press (1-2) button if selector is in AF mode)
2 select wflash icon
3 cursor down select master or control as required
4 pop up flash

1 MCS switch to S
2 on off switch to middle position (wireless)

test
This is the procedure that I tried to follow, but the wflash icon is greyed-out and not selectable.
11-15-2014, 07:42 PM   #10
Banned

I'm in all the most basic modes, either P, Av or M, single frame shooting.

This is the procedure that I tried to follow, but the wflash icon is greyed-out and not selectable.

I'm new to the K3 and wireless flash myself, but if wireless flash is not available in those modes (P, Av or M) then something is not right with the camera. Try e-mailing Pentax Customer Service, they should be able to tell you if your camera needs servicing or not.
11-18-2014, 02:50 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
It's also not available in Green (auto) mode.
On mine, that is the only exposure mode where wireless does not appear as an option for the flash.
6 Days Ago   #12

Hi! I have the AF540FGZ II Flash. I'm looking for set the camera channel on the Pentax K3, but I do not find it.

On K3 Manual, page 84, “Functions when Using an external flash”, says: “The set channel can be checked on the status screen, Live View screen, LCD Panel, and in the viewfinder.” It is impossible to check on all screens and viewfinder.

I follow the steps on page 41 of the AF540FGZ II Flash Manual, 'Using this Flash Unit in Combination with a Built-in Flash Unit of the camera.'

Moreover, while searching for instructional videos on how to execute this configuration, I discovered an exceptional configuration on Custom Config 21 titled “Flash In Wireless Mode” where the built-in flash is set to “2”. However, the built-in flash does not emit any light. I can’t find it on my K3.

I would like to check the channel and see if the Flash is working fine in Wireless mode and if the built-in flash doesn't fire a light.
Thanks in advance.