Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2014, 02:20 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Setting custom bracket intervals

So I was reading this article todayThe Optimum Digital Exposure. Essentially, the writer says to set the following bracket: +1.3EV, +.6EV, and +2.0EV to get the optimum exposure to capture all scene data, then in post process choose the one with whites closest to 99% and adjust to bring your dark levels back down.

I want to try this out. Is there a way to set a custom exposure bracket to use those EV settings instead of 0,+,-?

11-06-2014, 02:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by scotty707 Quote
So I was reading this article todayThe Optimum Digital Exposure. Essentially, the writer says to set the following bracket: +1.3EV, +.6EV, and +2.0EV to get the optimum exposure to capture all scene data, then in post process choose the one with whites closest to 99% and adjust to bring your dark levels back down.

I want to try this out. Is there a way to set a custom exposure bracket to use those EV settings instead of 0,+,-?
You can try setting a global adjustment for EV, which is +0.7 if you're working in thirds of stops and then bracket -2, 0, +2, which will ultimately give you -1.3, +0.7, +2.7
It's not exactly what you're after, but at least on my camera (K-01) bracketing can only be symmetrical (+-1, +-1.3, +-1.7, +-2 etc.).
Advanced cameras have advanced bracketing capabilities, and can bracket more than 3 shots.
Don't know on the K-5II or the K-3, for instance.
11-06-2014, 02:27 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I haven't tried this, so I don't really know if it will work.

Bracketing with 2/3 of a stop between exposures and
a +1-1/3 exposure compensation would give you the above.

it might be worth a try.
Good luck.
11-06-2014, 03:22 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As noted above, set your intervals to what you want, then use exposure compensation to adjust so you get the exposures you want. That's what I do on my k-3, works fine. Until you forget you have exposure comp dialed up by two or three stops when you stop bracketing.

11-06-2014, 03:51 PM - 1 Like   #5
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
As noted above, set your intervals to what you want, then use exposure compensation to adjust so you get the exposures you want. That's what I do on my k-3, works fine. Until you forget you have exposure comp dialed up by two or three stops when you stop bracketing.
I have deselected the memory for the exposure comp so that when you turn it off it goes back to zero.
11-06-2014, 04:34 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
I have deselected the memory for the exposure comp so that when you turn it off it goes back to zero.
Duh..... Why didn't I think of that? Oh, probably because on the k-5 series I always used +2/3 EV. Don't use any on the k-3 so this will work now.
Thanks!
11-06-2014, 05:12 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
Ooh, good tip.

There are a few cameras like my Nikon P7700 where it's a dial at the top that is forever getting moved when brushed against, taken out of a bag, etc ....