Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2014, 10:48 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Does anybody know what to do with K-3 RAW HDR images?

My understanding is that the resulting files are pretty much just several RAW files combined into one file container. The size indicates this too (30MB each vs 100MB for the HDR file).

But what can I do with this (large) file now? Lightroom shows only the first RAW file and the Pentax software shows the file but there really is no indication that the file is HDR and doesn't offer any HDR operations. I thought maybe I could extract the single RAW files and then do the merge myself but I can't see how do to that either.

So my question is: What can I do with these files? As usual the manual offers no help at all.

Last edited by maxxxx; 11-08-2014 at 12:16 PM.
11-08-2014, 11:04 AM   #2
Unregistered User

If you use the Pentax software you can open this file and extract the three RAW images inside and do your own HDR in the computer. Also you can do a RAW to JPG conversion in the camera. Other than that I do not know since the Pentax software also can not show the HDR version. (Like in Lightroom)

The extraction is hidden in the toolbar/the menus/right click menu... Do not have the software installed right now but it is somewhere...
11-08-2014, 12:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
If you use the Pentax software you can open this file and extract the three RAW images inside and do your own HDR in the computer. Also you can do a RAW to JPG conversion in the camera. Other than that I do not know since the Pentax software also can not show the HDR version. (Like in Lightroom)

The extraction is hidden in the toolbar/the menus/right click menu... Do not have the software installed right now but it is somewhere...
Found it. I guess it's good for something then. Still don't know what the difference between this and bracketing is though.
11-08-2014, 12:23 PM   #4
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by maxxxx Quote
Found it. I guess it's good for something then. Still don't know what the difference between this and bracketing is though.
If you dont make an in camera jpeg it is the same as far as I can see.

11-08-2014, 12:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think there should be a function "save only JPEG " or something in a similar way, you can include it, that would not have such files of large size
11-08-2014, 01:53 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gor80 Quote
I think there should be a function "save only JPEG " or something in a similar way, you can include it, that would not have such files of large size

If the camera is in JPEG mode you will get only a JPEG. On the k-5ii there is no HDR option when you are in RAW mode. So I was positively surprised that the K-3 had HDR in RAW mode but it seems it's not very useful.
11-08-2014, 02:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If the camera is in JPEG mode you will get only a JPEG. On the k-5ii there is no HDR option when you are in RAW mode. So I was positively surprised that the K-3 had HDR in RAW mode but it seems it's not very useful.
maybe you're right
HDR is a very interesting feature, but I think that you just have to shoot with a tripod, for a more accurate rendering of the frame, is a beautiful, but too much contrast.

I had often rented HDR now prefer to modify the photo in Lightroom

11-08-2014, 05:42 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Still don't know what the difference between this and bracketing is though.
In exposure bracketing you can chose between taking 2, 3 or 5 images. In HDR capture there are only 3 images captured.

In exposure bracketing you only change your exposure value up to a + or - 2. In HDR capture you can go up to a + or - 3.

What I would like to know is what is the difference between [HDR AUTO], [HDR 1], [HDR 2] and [HDR 3] ?
11-08-2014, 05:47 PM   #9
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by chuck_c Quote
What I would like to know is what is the difference between [HDR AUTO], [HDR 1], [HDR 2] and [HDR 3] ?

The amount of processing, Auto tries to give a clean pic w/ expanded DR, while 3 is the far end of the spectrum, more "cartoonish" looking...........
11-08-2014, 07:48 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Have not used the pre-programed Pentax mode, but,
I set up one of my user modes to do HDR,
*Drive to high speed,
*Bracket in 2/3-stop increments for 5 frames,
*Aperture ƒ8, AV mode (shutter floats to change exposure)
*ISO 100,
*RAW

I've gotten some good results with this set up, Mostly hand held,
In the attached image, I was on a moving ferry, the boat in the foreground was moving,

I've been using the Nik plugins through Apple Aperture to process them,
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
11-08-2014, 10:54 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K-Three Quote
Have not used the pre-programed Pentax mode, but,
I set up one of my user modes to do HDR,
*Drive to high speed,
*Bracket in 2/3-stop increments for 5 frames,
*Aperture ƒ8, AV mode (shutter floats to change exposure)
*ISO 100,
*RAW

I've gotten some good results with this set up, Mostly hand held,
In the attached image, I was on a moving ferry, the boat in the foreground was moving,

I've been using the Nik plugins through Apple Aperture to process them,
Nice picture! One thing I wonder about: How do you keep the different bracketed sequences apart? I have had several occasions where I shot a few of them in short succession and sometimes I couldn't tell which picture belongs to which sequence.
11-09-2014, 07:31 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Does anyone have an example of the in camera raw HDR to post so we can get an idea of what those look like? Are they any better than just using standard bracketing technique?
11-09-2014, 01:09 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice picture! One thing I wonder about: How do you keep the different bracketed sequences apart? I have had several occasions where I shot a few of them in short succession and sometimes I couldn't tell which picture belongs to which sequence.
Mine always brackets from over to under (I think you can control which way, have to dive into the bracketing menus again), so you see them in 5-shot sets, looking at them in the browser view,
If you shoot more than one set in a scene it's pretty obvious where the 2/3-stop difference and the 2-1/3-stop difference is (usually have my view in Aperture sorted by name, and leave the sequential number assigned by the camera, another clue to the sequence). In Aperture, you Shift+select the frames you want to composite and right click to export to the Nik plug-in.

I've done a few where, even though I shot five frames, I only composited 3-frames, depends on the scene and the lighting.
This system works pretty well in contrasty lighting, clouds and water etc. Even if I only pull one frame out of the five I shoot, I can find one that has a good tonal range. In good light you can bang off a set in a second, the Nik software is pretty good about cleaning up movement artifacts if the scene has not shifted too much.
From the User Preset I can easily change either the bracket range, the aperture or the ISO as needed for a scene.
11-13-2014, 04:56 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chuck_c Quote

In exposure bracketing you only change your exposure value up to a + or - 2. In HDR capture you can go up to a + or - 3.
With my K-3 and K-5 I can bracket out to +/- 3. I think this is accomplished based on how you have the exposure steps set up (1/2 stop lets you out to +/-3 while 1/3 stop lets you out to +/-2).

Someone can correct me if I am wrong though. Once I figured it out, I left almost everything alone settings-wise and I don't know the K-3 enough to say the above for certain.