Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
11-08-2014, 11:15 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am finally getting my K3

I have been shooting the last few years with my Pentax Kx. I have a couple of pretty decent lenses that were fine for the Kx that I want to use with the K3 but I am certain that I will be wanting better lenses in the near future. I have a Tamron AF 70-300 mm Tele-Macro. I also have a Tamron AF Aspherical 28-80 mm and the SMC Pentax DAL 18-55 mm lens that came with the Kx. I understand that some might not look at that list and think that those lenses are very special, but they have served me well and brought me to the next level of photography.

Now that I have my money saved up and am ready to take advantage of the year end deals listed here on the forum, I need some advice. I am getting the body and the grip as part of my purchase, but I want some opinions as to what two or three items that other photographers might want to bundle into the purchase and why. I take a lot of mountain photos, wildlife and mining era architecture. My passion is shooting architecture in low light situations in the mountains. I am also fond of shooting the night sky. I work almost exclusively with a tripod as my hands are a bit shaky from a life long benign tremor. It is a pain in low light and no issue at all in the bright sun.

Any advice or comments are welcomed. I am a retired teacher. I have a fair eye for composition. I am a writer and like to use my photos to help illustrate my work. I can take criticism. I have the ability to laugh at myself and my limitations. I look forward to making your acquaintance.

Robert "Badger Logic" Thomasson
Elbert, Colorado
US

Last edited by Badger Logic; 11-09-2014 at 02:38 AM. Reason: omission
11-09-2014, 12:26 AM - 1 Like   #2

Photos: Albums
Hi!

K3 a good choice, but to it good quality, prefer fixed lenses are needed.
(FA / DA - Limited)
IMHO the existing ones will not create better picture than the Kx.

Regards, pretty lights!
11-09-2014, 12:35 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you'll have lots of fun with your new K-3.
11-09-2014, 01:35 AM - 1 Like   #4
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Badger Logic Quote
Any advice or comments are welcomed. I am a retired teacher. I have a fair eye for composition. I am a writer and like to use my photos to help illustrate my work. I can take criticism. I have the ability to laugh at myself and my limitations. I look forward to making your acquaintance.

Robert "Badger Logic" Thomasson
Elbert, Colorado
Hi Robert, Ross here - from NZ, I also enjoy landscapes, and own a K3 and a number of lenses.

The K3 is going to be a big step up from your Kx in terms of functionality and the image quality. It will take some time to get used to. I stepped up from a K5, and there was still a learning curve. A couple of nice things you will find using the K3 - firstly enjoy using it with the AA filter off - you will find your images are a lot shaper, second - since you work in low light - the K3 is quite useable up to ISO6400, so you will find that quite useful compared with the Kx.

With regard to lenses - what you have is what you have, and any lens is better than no lens. If you are looking to purchase some different lenses I have found the Pentax DA Limited wide lenses - the 15mm and the 21mm are very good for landscapes. Both render differently - if I had to choose one it would be the 15mm.

I do a lot of my landscape photography now with a Zeiss 35mm f2 - the focal length is equal to approximately 50mm on full frame, but it still works very well for landscapes. I used to have the DA35mm Macro Limited, and again it is a very good lens and well worth considering. I found I would always grab the Zeiss if I was looking for a 35mm, so in the end I sold the DA35mm Limited, but it is still a very good lens.

If you look at your shooting records with your zoom, you will see which focal lengths that you favour, and that will help guide you if you move to prime lenses. You really can't miss with any of the Pentax Limited lenses - DA or FA, what you purchase really will be dependant on the size of your budget. One thing that is really nice about the DA Limited is they are small and light, which is great when you are hiking.

I am sure you will really enjoy your K3.

All the best.

Ross

11-09-2014, 02:22 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I made the step from K20 to K3 in October and was also worried about the lenses in my cupboard but needn't have. I am still surprised by how much better the lenses I currently have render on the K3. Don't worry about it and just upgrade as you can.

Now dealing with the huge file sizes is another issue so will be getting a more powerful computer in the new year.
11-09-2014, 03:45 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K-3 shines with serious glass, but also makes what you have shine

Looking at your shooting preferences, I think you might come to appreciate a lens selection that includes
  • DA15 (for your mining architecture and landscapes)
  • DA35 Macro or DFA100 Macro WR (as your macro standard or weather-sealed telephoto macro lenses, respectively)
  • DA55-300 (as your lightweight telephoto workhorse, which, despite being comfortably outresolved by the K-3's sensor, will likely give you better contrast at the long end than your Tamron 70-300), or the truly marvellous DA*300 (if you really need that nth degree of sharpness in your wildlife shots, are willing to lug it around with you, and can afford it)
Whether you get the slightly microcontrast-enhanced HD versions where available or stick to the old smc versions with their famous starburst capability (DA15, DA35 Macro) depends on your personal preference. The upcoming DA16-85 WR strikes me as a highly versatile walkaround option, if you only want to take one or two lenses with you.

That said, I've also found that, despite its sensor potential (or maybe precisely because of it), the K-3 tends to bring out the best in whatever lenses are there already. I for one, with my kit of both Limited and consumer lenses, haven't yet felt a sore need to upgrade my lenses.

Happy shooting. I'm confident you'll enjoy your K-3 a lot.
11-09-2014, 06:51 AM - 1 Like   #7
Inactive Account

I will agree with others that a great sensor requires good lenses.

DA/FA Ltd's, DA* lenses, Sigma Art line.

Paired with something mentioned above, K3 is an extremely capable camera

11-09-2014, 07:05 AM - 1 Like   #8
Banned

Aside from lenses, at B+H, with the Grip Kit, you can get a Pentax AF-540 FGZ flash for only $50.00, a savings of ~$300. Not a bad deal if you even THINK you may want / need a flash in the future.
11-09-2014, 07:26 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The K3 will help any lens produce better photos. It will also, probably make you wish for even better glass but go slowly. High end Pentax zooms (DA*) are superb but are also usually very expensive. You can get some of the wonderful Pentax primes for much less. If you are will to manual focus there are great values in the old M lenses which are little gems of engineering and optics. See if you can find an M 50 1.7. They are usually very inexpensive ($50?) and have superb IQ when properly handled. In any case have fun getting to know your great new camera!
11-09-2014, 08:47 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I knew that if I took this step and I would allow myself to be honest about what I do not know, then this forum would be able to guide me up the steep learning curve that I would inevitably face. I really appreciate the advice has been given to me up to this point. I have read every one and am already investigating my options on the limited budget that retirement provides me.
11-09-2014, 10:23 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

I knew that if I took this step and I would allow myself to be honest about what I do not know, then this forum would be able to guide me up the steep learning curve that I would inevitably face. I really appreciate the advice has been given to me up to this point. I have read every one and am already investigating my options on the limited budget that retirement provides me.

Retirement would be a wonderful thing if it didn't include a cut in pay. I feel your pain!
11-09-2014, 06:50 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dakight Quote
Retirement would be a wonderful thing if it didn't include a cut in pay. I feel your pain!
On the positive - it does leave time for more hobbies - if cheaper ones!
11-09-2014, 07:25 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
On the positive - it does leave time for more hobbies - if cheaper ones!
It provides opportunity to improvise, optimize and learn patience... lots of patience. The new K-50 will have to do instead of the K3 which was my ideal first choice and I'll have the chance to learn and hone skills with the kit lenses and an assortment of older glass. Nonetheless, I'm happy.

11-09-2014, 08:16 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dakight Quote
It provides opportunity to improvise, optimize and learn patience... lots of patience. The new K-50 will have to do instead of the K3 which was my ideal first choice and I'll have the chance to learn and hone skills with the kit lenses and an assortment of older glass. Nonetheless, I'm happy.

Very true!
11-10-2014, 04:29 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

I have been shooting the last few years with my Pentax Kx. I have a couple of pretty decent lenses that were fine for the Kx that I want to use with the K3 but I am certain that I will be wanting better lenses in the near future. I have a Tamron AF 70-300 mm Tele-Macro. I also have a Tamron AF Aspherical 28-80 mm and the SMC Pentax DAL 18-55 mm lens that came with the Kx. I understand that some might not look at that list and think that those lenses are very special, but they have served me well and brought me to the next level of photography.

Speaking from personal experience, the 18-55 did not survive my transition to the K3.

You've got two Tamron zooms that mostly fill the range of lengths.

Off the bat, I'd say you might want something really wide, like the 15mm Limited, and something in the 30-35 range, like the 35 Macro. But the usual advice in your situation is to go through your files and look what focal lengths you use the most, then start there for lens upgrades. Or you may know what your pain points are.

Another consideration is filters. If you've not used them yet, ND and Polarizing filters can have a big impact on outdoor and landscape photography. You may want to include those in your gear budget.