Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2014, 12:01 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-3 Firmware Update

I just downloaded the firmware update for my K-3. I copied the bin file as instructed onto a reformatted sd card. Loaded it into my camera, turned the camera on while holding down the menu button as instructed. The LCD showed firmware version to be updated and I was instructed, using the four-way controller to click on start. Immediately it began flashing on my LCD screen " Now Loading". The instructions said that at the end of the uploading a message complete would appear on the LCD screen. Okay so while it is loading I went back to working on my computer and when I turned to check on the loading process the LCD screen is black. So if the word complete showed up I missed it. My question is did it upload? Is it safe to turn the camera off and check to see if the firmware uploaded correctly? It says do not turn off until complete. By the way I had two fully charged batteries in the camera. John

11-15-2014, 12:22 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

It sounds like the camera may have completed the update and turned itself off. In order to verify that the firmware update was successful, go to the firmware option under the setup (wrench icon) menu tab, and confirm that the indicated firmware version matches that of the update.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-15-2014, 12:25 PM   #3
Forum Member

When I updated the firmware on my K-3, the word "Complete" appeared only for a few seconds, then the screen went black.
11-15-2014, 12:26 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The 'completed' shows only for a second, very easy to miss if you are not watching. The update takes about 2 minutes so if it has been longer than that just check the new version as Adam mentioned.

11-15-2014, 12:58 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
That's exactly what my K3 did when I updated from 1.00 to 1.11 day before yesterday. Things are fine.
11-15-2014, 01:07 PM   #6
Unregistered User

About the firmware version. Why does the US site show 1.03 as the latest?
11-15-2014, 03:12 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
About the firmware version. Why does the US site show 1.03 as the latest?
We are backward over here.

Steve