Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2014, 02:36 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
in camera lens correction options

As the feedback on the dynamic range settings has been so iiluminating....I would love to get some feedback concerning the in camera lens correction options on the k3. The lens distortion, chromatic abb and peripheral illumination.....Do these adjustments take place before the photo s captured, do they effect the RAW? Are they effective? What is peripheral illumination actually? Thanks again for you feedback, this technology has my head spinning a bit....

11-19-2014, 02:48 AM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No, those settings do now affect RAW.

But lens correction settings can be applied in post processing in Pentax's RAW converter, in Photoshop, Lightroom, and probably other programs as well based on the lens information that is stored in the EXIF data of the file. Even if the lens in use is not recognized by the software, generic lens correction options are often available (depends on the software).
11-19-2014, 03:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So, from what I am understanding, the only in camera adjustment that will effect RAW images is the highlight correction...?
11-19-2014, 04:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Highlight correction (ISO shift)
HDR raw (K-3 only, brackets three photos and puts them in the same file)
Colour space (sRGB, AdobeRGB,..) might have an "effect," but this mostly depends on the decoding software, on how it reads the file. This is also affected by the Colour profile chosen in the raw software (Adobe Standard, Embedded, or some camera-specific profile)
And maybe the in-camera aspect ratio crop (at least on the K-01? I never testes this thoroughly)
White balance, but this doesn't really "affect" the raw data, it only affects how the data is interpreted by the decoding software

Hm, I can't think of anything else. I think all the other options are jpeg-only.

11-20-2014, 02:17 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Highlight correction (ISO shift)
HDR raw (K-3 only, brackets three photos and puts them in the same file)
Colour space (sRGB, AdobeRGB,..) might have an "effect," but this mostly depends on the decoding software, on how it reads the file. This is also affected by the Colour profile chosen in the raw software (Adobe Standard, Embedded, or some camera-specific profile)
And maybe the in-camera aspect ratio crop (at least on the K-01? I never testes this thoroughly)
White balance, but this doesn't really "affect" the raw data, it only affects how the data is interpreted by the decoding software

Hm, I can't think of anything else. I think all the other options are jpeg-only.
Thanks again, for the detailed, informed reply...
12-11-2014, 05:24 AM   #6

Lens correction setting
(K3 v1.11)
the setting on the 1st menu tab is grayed out .. How does one enable this setting?

EDIT: figured it out. the setting did not activate with my Sigma DC 17-50mm EX HSM,, but did when I installed the Pentax 50-135. I would have thought the Sigma would be compatible.

Last edited by dubsider; 12-11-2014 at 05:53 AM.
12-11-2014, 12:57 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dubsider Quote
Lens correction setting
(K3 v1.11)
the setting on the 1st menu tab is grayed out .. How does one enable this setting?

EDIT: figured it out. the setting did not activate with my Sigma DC 17-50mm EX HSM,, but did when I installed the Pentax 50-135. I would have thought the Sigma would be compatible.
Lens corrections are available only with modern Pentax lenses. If you shoot raw only, it can be left off. I shoot raw and apply the correction using Lightroom's lens profiles.

If you are using "consumer" kit zooms and shooting JPEG, it should be turned on. With DA* lenses and most likely Ltds you can turn it off.