Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2014, 07:20 PM   #1

Weird shutter button delay

hey Guys,
So after a few days with the K3, i'm totally loving the camera except for one small issue i noticed. This is somewhat random, but every now and then when i pick up the camera and try to take a shot, it has this weird delay on the shutter button where the camera focuses and then just sort of does nothing for about a second or two and then takes the shot. I can turn it off and back on, and everything will work fine for a few shots, and i will start to notice the delay again for a shot or two.

This doesn't seem like a "feature" so do you think i need to take it back for warranty repair?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Paul

11-19-2014, 07:42 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I noticed the same today for the first time. I used an FA*24mm lens. Which lens did you use?
11-19-2014, 07:43 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is the delay after focus is locked?
11-19-2014, 08:11 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
I noticed the same today for the first time. I used an FA*24mm lens. Which lens did you use?
i used the 35 f2.4

---------- Post added 11-19-14 at 08:13 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by nicoprod Quote
Is the delay after focus is locked?
yes..seems like it locks focus and just sort of waits

11-19-2014, 08:39 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

2 second delay turned on?
11-20-2014, 05:02 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
2 second delay turned on?
Was about to write just that.
Happened to me once, what a scare! I thought that my new K-01 was acting up, but I was just coming from a tripod session!
I once read cursorly which items reset themselves and was under the impression that drive mode was one of them.
You can make it that way if you like it, BTW, so that when you start the camera it's always in single frame mode.
11-20-2014, 05:37 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Was about to write just that.
Happened to me once, what a scare! I thought that my new K-01 was acting up, but I was just coming from a tripod session!
I once read cursorly which items reset themselves and was under the impression that drive mode was one of them.
You can make it that way if you like it, BTW, so that when you start the camera it's always in single frame mode.
Thanks for the suggestion however this is totally random and I checked that the delay isn't set. I will play with it a bit more before taking it back for any sort of repair

11-20-2014, 06:55 AM   #8

There is a small delay when using P-TTL flash (probably in the range of 0.2 seconds - see other threads on the subject) but I doubt if that is it.
11-20-2014, 12:50 PM   #9
Ole
Administrator

Sleep mode

QuoteOriginally posted by psamoluk Quote
hey Guys,
So after a few days with the K3, i'm totally loving the camera except for one small issue i noticed. This is somewhat random, but every now and then when i pick up the camera and try to take a shot, it has this weird delay on the shutter button where the camera focuses and then just sort of does nothing for about a second or two and then takes the shot. I can turn it off and back on, and everything will work fine for a few shots, and i will start to notice the delay again for a shot or two.

This doesn't seem like a "feature" so do you think i need to take it back for warranty repair?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Paul
As I wrote earlier, it happened to me the other day. I've come to the conclusion that the camera had gone into "sleep" mode and that's the cause for the delay. It must wake up before it can shoot.

In other words, nothing wrong with the camera.
11-20-2014, 05:26 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Firmware update ??
11-20-2014, 05:34 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
I've come to the conclusion that the camera had gone into "sleep" mode and that's the cause for the delay.
I am going to have to give this one a try. I reflexively wake the camera up before bringing it to eye and have never noted this behavior.

Steve
11-20-2014, 10:56 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I am going to have to give this one a try. I reflexively wake the camera up before bringing it to eye and have never noted this behavior.
Has happened to me occasionally. I believe there is a setting for how long before the camera sleeps so that might vary from person to person.

I had a k-5 at one time that the shutter button was just a little off, you could hit it to wake the camera but unless you hit it square nothing would happen, resulting in the camera not responding to the shutter button press when you had it at your eye until that press woke it up. Result was erratic but occasional instances of a 'delay' in the shutter closing. All other camera I have used it just took a slight bump on the shutter button to wake them up, but not this camera.
11-21-2014, 09:03 AM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Has happened to me occasionally.
The part I don't get is that the lag is after AF lock. Let me get the camera and see whether I can get it to do this.

Steve
11-21-2014, 10:16 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The part I don't get is that the lag is after AF lock. Let me get the camera and see whether I can get it to do this.
I missed that part. Does not seem that it could be the camera going to sleep then, it is not going to focus until after it wakes up.

- 2 second delay (or other non-SR mode) with the shooting mode set to not save on shut off
- defective shutter button
- user is not keeping the shutter button down enough to maintain the AF lock
- AF-C mode with focus priority set and focus lost momentarily during a pan
- sleep mode and the OP just thought it was focusing
- some kind of weird lens interaction - dirty contacts

None of those sound particularly likely given the information supplied.

OP - can you try setting the auto focus to the AF button on the rear and testing it that way? It is under button customization. In this mode the autofocus is controlled by the back AF button and all the shutter button does is trigger the shutter release. Might help diagnose the issue.

You could also try turning the timer for sleep mode completely off to see if that makes any difference.
11-21-2014, 10:30 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yea I have experienced this as well. It's definitely not camera falling asleep or using flash and is definitely AFTER the lens has obtained focus. (I actually use back button focus and have camera set to take photos even if it doesn't have focus.) I always thought it's some camera metering bug. It happened maybe twice for the last 10 months or so.