Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 40 Likes Search this Thread
11-21-2014, 04:19 AM - 2 Likes   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I am not a particular fan of the Fuji line. It is OK, but doesn't really seem to be anything that I'm interested in.

I feel like there isn't a huge difference between the D600 and K3. The D600 will be a stop better at high iso due to having a full frame sensor, but has a slower frame rate and not as deep a buffer for RAW files.

As others have said, it is more about glass. Figuring out what lenses you need/want eventually in a given system and then setting out a plan to fill out your line up. Camera bodies come and go, it is the glass that you mount on them that is most important -- well, and the skill you bring to the equation as well.

Good luck!

11-21-2014, 05:20 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
i think you have the answer you were looking for. and none of us are biased by the way
11-21-2014, 05:37 AM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

You can argue technical details and features until you're blue in the face, but the bottom line is this: It's your money, it's your choice; do what makes you happy and never look back. Buying a camera isn't a lot different than buying a car; very often one choice just feels right. You can't put your finger on why or explain it logically, it just is what it is.
11-21-2014, 06:54 AM - 3 Likes   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What kind of "friends" call you an idiot for not doing what they want you to do? If any of my friends ever did something like that, I'd ask, do you pay my bills?

Just get what you want and let your results speak for themselves.

As for a good reason to get the K-3 - IBIS with great quality primes will allow you to have a nice and very portable system to take great low light pictures even at relatively low shutter speeds. No one can argue with that.

11-21-2014, 10:00 AM - 1 Like   #20

For me, there's one Pentax feature that no one else has (please correct me if I'm wrong) is "TAv" setting exposure. I believe the "program setting" on the Nikon is similar to the the older "program setting" on the old Canon EA1 (from the 1980's) in that if you adjust the aperture, the shutter speed is moved in the opposite direction. Since to me creative control is always focused on shutter and aperture, TAv mode automatically adjusts the ISO. To me it's a dream setup for any kind of action (and use the back focus button and you'll be able to zoom in on a subject on a stage, use spot focus and with the front and rear dials just concentrate on the composition and DOF). In that case I think you'll have your expert friends contemplating a switch.

So in a nutshell, investigate the handling very closely, that's what will really make the difference.

The downside might be to consider video capabilities. I think the difference isn't too great, at least between the Pentax and Nikon "C" cameras (Canons usually comes out on tops from reviews I have read). But I didn't get my K3 for video (there's plenty of parents who do that at my kid's events). To me some video is just enough.

Oh, yea. One more thing: Internal stabilization vs external: besides saving money on lenses, knowing that any lens that gets attached to the Pentax (at least for me) was a great plus (another thing that I think the conikon crowd might get jealous with). And as far as that goes, from the review on the image quality of the K3, the following was written up (see: Review: Pentax K-3 - General Image Quality | PentaxForums.com Reviews. The point is:

QuoteQuote:
Users with steady hands will be able to get sharp hand-helds at shutter speeds as slow as 1/8s with normal lenses. This degree of stabilization combined with the K-3's solid low-light performance makes it an excellent nighttime shooter overall!

Last edited by kjg48359; 11-21-2014 at 10:28 AM.
11-21-2014, 11:02 AM - 3 Likes   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CeciProAm Quote
That DA 55 is calling my name but my bank is saying NO, not now~!
It's....."ok"......

Name:  IMGP0969-Edit.jpg
Views: 1227
Size:  63.6 KB

Name:  IMGP0389-Edit.jpg
Views: 1241
Size:  66.5 KB

Name:  IMGP0198.jpg
Views: 1736
Size:  86.0 KB

Name:  IMGP0206.jpg
Views: 1669
Size:  113.3 KB

Name:  IMGP0297.jpg
Views: 1073
Size:  241.9 KB

-Heie

Edit: Apparently some of them were compressed a bit? They are all tack sharp (except the last one of the girl - that is misfocused by a significant degree accidentally, but I liked it so I kept it) - grr
11-21-2014, 11:03 AM - 2 Likes   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
It's....."ok"......
dude, that first photo is superb!!

11-21-2014, 11:12 AM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

I would pick the X-T1 first, then the K-3, then the D610, because I care about lenses more than bodies.

The X-T1 with the upcoming 16/1.4 and 90/2 added to the currently available 23/1.4, 35/1.4, and 56/1.2 provides a killer small low-light setup. Those lenses are all superb, which is what I care about.

I'm a big fan of the tiny Pentax lenses, but the lenses are slower than the Fuji. Still a tiny setup but at expense of needing higher ISO/slower shutter speed. (The DA*55 is an exception here of course.)

I had a D600 and sold it. It isn't anything special, and to add decent Nikon lenses you're talking about a big & heavy kit. Not for me.
11-21-2014, 12:01 PM - 2 Likes   #24

Superb photos, Alex. You've inspired me to mount up my 55mm and take her for a spin this weekend.
11-21-2014, 12:15 PM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by schnitzer79 Quote
dude, that first photo is superb!!
QuoteOriginally posted by freerider Quote
Superb photos, Alex. You've inspired me to mount up my 55mm and take her for a spin this weekend.
Thanks!

Yea I love that lens. Here's the full set from that shoot:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/279809-abstract-logan...13-images.html

Thanks again

-Heie
11-21-2014, 11:04 PM   #26
Forum Member

What lens do you have right? If you don't have a big collection of pentax lens, then I would say D610 is first choice
11-21-2014, 11:29 PM - 2 Likes   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I spent a lot of time with a D610 today. I am spacing out on the lens but it had a battery grip attached
& no flash & I thought my arm was going to fall off after about 15 minutes. It felt like I was carrying a
gun, not a camera.

I am going with the K3 as soon as B&H opens.
Thank you all~

ps. Ruoyun.huang, I have more nikon glass than pentax but I am selling it all to get the best pentax
collection I can....anticipating my use of the k3 and the full frame that it is coming soon~
11-21-2014, 11:45 PM - 2 Likes   #28
Pentaxian

great choice
11-22-2014, 04:23 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CeciProAm Quote
I spent a lot of time with a D610 today. I am spacing out on the lens but it had a battery grip attached
& no flash & I thought my arm was going to fall off after about 15 minutes. It felt like I was carrying a
gun, not a camera.

I am going with the K3 as soon as B&H opens.
Thank you all~

ps. Ruoyun.huang, I have more nikon glass than pentax but I am selling it all to get the best pentax
collection I can....anticipating my use of the k3 and the full frame that it is coming soon~
I think you'll be pleased. Particularly as you add glass. Alex shared some DA 55 shots that are awesome. I'll just add my voice to saying it is one of my favorite lenses. Just stellar, even on film...

(on a K5)

(on film)

11-22-2014, 07:43 AM   #30

I switched from Canon EOS (20D/30D) to Pentax (K20D/K5) to Nikon (D7000/D600/D610) and also have shot with a Fuji X Pro1 plus primes. I wish I could make up my mind ;-) Also got a Pentax MX-1 which I love.
Reason number one to leave Pentax was AF performance where the Nikons were miles ahead of Pentax. This has been addressed with the K-3 but speed wise Nikon is still better. Handling and ergonomics are second to none with Pentax. Took me ages to get used to Nikon.
Second reason I left Pentax was choice of lenses: primes and Limiteds are brilliant but expensive and Tamron for example does not produce their top glass for Pentax and even Sigma only have a limited selection for Pentax. And the argument that IS free lenses are cheaper than their IS equipped siblings is not true. Built in IS is great on primes though.
Fuji produces brilliantly sharp images but the AF is slower than Pentax. Always spot on though. Prime lenses are brilliant but also not cheap nor small or light (smaller than Nikon or Pentax lenses though).
The AF System on the D610 is next to useless in dim lighting conditions (did a shoot in a dimly lit room and not one pic was in focus, with a calibrated Nikon 24-70mm!!!) - the K3 will beat it easily and the Fuji system slows right down in poor light. AF-C only usable on XT-1 really.
I know it's not in your initial question but if you want to go the Nikon FF way I'd seriously consider the D750 which focusses very well in darker conditions and avoid the D610.
If you are happy with the choice of lenses Pentax has to offer than I can't see a reason not to go that way. I use pro glass on my Nikon and the image quality and detail is amazing - sharper than APS-C with the same glass. But then the K-3 doesn't have an AA filter.

Last edited by Samyo; 11-22-2014 at 07:50 AM.