Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2014, 11:39 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is my lens kit up to K3 standards???

My kit of lenses isn't spectacular, and seems to be very Pentax-A type manual prime heavy, so the focus peeking has me sold on it over the deals offered on the K5ii-S. I'm wondering if they'll hold up to the increased resolution of the K3. They do fine on my current K-x but will the K3 out resolve them? How do you tell exactly when a camera has outstriped the resolving power of your lens exactly? I've heard it mentioned allot, but nobody seems to explain the what or why of it.

Tamron XR-Di 28-75 f2.8
Vivitar Series 1 13mm f2.8
Elicar VH-Q K/R-A 90mm f2.8 Macro
Pentax-A 50mm f1.4
Pentax-A 28mm f2.8
Sears K/R-A 135mm f2.8 (macro version)

11-23-2014, 12:15 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I think you may find that all of your lenses will do better on the K-3 than on the K-x. Use magnified focus peaking to get the most out of the manual focus. In regards to the sensor out-resolving a lens...That situation is preferable than having the lens out-resolve the sensor.

Steve
11-23-2014, 12:32 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
The Elicar is the only one I can't speak for (although it does have a good reputation) , but with the Tamron, and Pentaxes, and Viv, you will be fine. The Sears is always fuzzy in macro mode, but for regular shooting and stopped down, it will probably be fine, too.

Yeah, the macro function has really only been used in a few creative shots where the "dreamy" soft focus effect is warranted. It's use is very limited however. One things for sure though.........the macro versions seem to be of better quality (build and image rendering) than the non-macros across the board from mine and many others experience. Hence, the reason I kept it and sold an old Pentax-M 135mm when I realized the soft focus effect didn't work how I wanted. My copy was actually a better lens than the Pentax I had.