Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2014, 11:17 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
If the main issue here i weight, which it seems to be, why even look at a DSLR.... why not look at something like an XG-1?
Of course weight is not the main factor but as you have sometimes remarked it can make a difference. Weight is a factor but only a factor. I toyed with the Sony NEX cameras and the A6000 but came back to Pentax not for the ovf but for the lenses and camera ergonomics and toughness. Many of us think Pentax can give us the best of both: mirrorless I-mount, smaller body, Pentax toughness and ergonomics plus a superior EVF to aid manual focusing. I am quite happy with my K3 but it can be improved.

11-27-2014, 11:32 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
And, though I'm not sure where Nikon and Canon are at, the mirrorless competitors' prices haven't come down nearly as much as the K-3 has, either. X-T1? $1200. E-M1? Same. NX1 hasn't even shipped, I think, so let's not expect rebates on it's $1500 price-tag anytime soon. Even the two year-old GH3 is still selling for $900. Only the Olympus E-M5 has come down to ~$600 body-only and it's a much older model than the K-3.

That being said, this morning I'm having a few second thoughts about my $620 body-only, semi-impulse purchase of last night. It's still, for me, a lot of money, and perhaps more camera than I need/want. I'd resolved to stick with the K-01 for 6 more months, but the deal just seemed irresistible...
@Doundounba; good for you... I did the same last night, for comparison purpose, the latest Lumix bridge camera from the same seller costs more than the k-3 (top APS-C); similar top line APS-C models from other vendors are still around 1K or more, go figure...
11-28-2014, 01:14 AM   #33

Original Poster
The size and weight is a consideration but not my main reason for choosing one camera over the other. The GX7 is priced quite nicely right now: $597 for body only with a $100 gift certificate through either B & H or Adorama. Can easily use the $100 towards something else. Panasonic is also doubling the warranty. The GH3 body is selling for the same price as the K-3 body right now but I'd rather have the GX7. Since I have a Lumix G3 I am used to the EVF and have no problems with that. I've been very pleased with the image quality from my G3. I like the weather proofing on the K-3, the greater number of megapixels, the top LCD panel, etc. The K-3 deal was enhanced by that $50 flash offer and that offer is no more. Economically both cameras are currently priced well below their release prices. The GX7 body was initially being sold for about $1000.