Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2014, 06:57 PM   #1

upgrade to K3?

Hi all,

I have a K100D Super, which is now seven years old. I think I'm going to be able to upgrade the body in the near future (parents have made noises about a PhD defense present and I'd rather have a new camera than a trip).

My question is whether I'm ready for the K3. I know it's not a camera recommended for beginners. With my current camera I shoot pretty much all the time on AV mode, and I always set my own white balance. But I'm not comfortable yet going fully manual. I also don't (yet) do any editing of images on my computer.

Is the K3 going to be too big a learning curve, or will I be able to figure it out fairly swiftly? My lenses are the DA 50 1.8 and the Tamron 28-75 2.8. I mostly take pictures of my kid (he's 3.5) with the occasional foray into landscapes.

Thanks!

11-24-2014, 06:59 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by callmescipio Quote
Hi all,

I have a K100D Super, which is now seven years old. I think I'm going to be able to upgrade the body in the near future (parents have made noises about a PhD defense present and I'd rather have a new camera than a trip).

My question is whether I'm ready for the K3. I know it's not a camera recommended for beginners. With my current camera I shoot pretty much all the time on AV mode, and I always set my own white balance. But I'm not comfortable yet going fully manual. I also don't (yet) do any editing of images on my computer.

Is the K3 going to be too big a learning curve, or will I be able to figure it out fairly swiftly? My lenses are the DA 50 1.8 and the Tamron 28-75 2.8. I mostly take pictures of my kid (he's 3.5) with the occasional foray into landscapes.

Thanks!
I think that if you've been using the K100D, you'll have no trouble adjusting to the K-3. The UI has been made much more user-friendly, and you'll get to enjoy the latest in image quality and AF performance.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-24-2014, 10:21 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
I went to a k3 from a K10d and found it very familiar.... and oh so much better :-) do it you wont look back!
11-25-2014, 02:19 AM   #4
Veteran Member

s the K3 going to be too big a learning curve
not a all. it is a big leap in IQ though and a very fine camera to use.
I would encourage you to start editing raw files though.
It doesn't need to be a tedious process, it's just fun to do and you can do so much more with your images.

You might want to consider K5II also.

11-25-2014, 02:20 AM   #5
Veteran Member

You can still use Av mode on the K3.
Don't be intimidated, many of the switches can be ignored in daily use (e.g. AF mode, just set it to AF-S) so in the end you can use the same controls and use it just like the K100D.
11-25-2014, 06:04 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is the K3 going to be too big a learning curve, or will I be able to figure it out fairly swiftly?
That's the good thing about Pentax, including the K-3: You don't need a PhD in electrical engineering to get started. You can start using it much like you use your K100D, but in addition you will get a camera that you can grow with for years to come.

My only real complaint about the K-3 is the very thin Operating Manual, but as Adam says, the menu system is user friendly and much imroved from the K100D. I could add that, for me at least, the ergonomics and button lay-out of the K-3 is near to perfect.
11-25-2014, 06:06 AM   #7
Pentaxian

its not that you're a total beginner to photography. If you understand the basics of photography : aperture,ISO, shutter speed, then you're good to go.
Start using it in AV mode like your K100d and ease yourself into more advanced controls.

11-25-2014, 06:26 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi all,

Thanks!
K3 is the same as any other camera

There are three variables to a 'correct' exposure they are aperture, sensitivity and shutter period

Whether you choose to control all three are let the camera handle les important (to you) variable there mix of the three must come to an acceptable exposure

The k3 just as the k100d allows you control of all some or none of the variables and the options and reasons are the same

Green mode = idiot proof, camera will disable all setting you could use for 'creative' shooting and handle all exposure variables
Program mode = auto creative mode , camera will allow you to make 'creative' adjustment but will still handle all exposure variables
AV mode = camera will allow you to make 'creative' adjustment and adjust DoF (aperture) but will control exposure with ISO and Shutter speed to achieve correct exposure
TV mode = camera will allow you to make 'creative' adjustment and adjust motion (Shutter Speed) but will control exposure with ISO and Aperture to achieve correct exposure
SV mode = camera will allow you to make 'creative' adjustment and adjust Noise/low light (ISO) but will control exposure with aperture and Shutter speed to achieve correct exposure
Manual = camera will allow you to make 'creative' adjustment and adjust DoF (aperture) , motion (Shutter Speed) and Noise/low light (ISO) it is up-to you to achieve correct exposure

The rest of the options any camera give you are 'aids' to the above either multiple shots with mild exposure adjustment or #Program' directive which alter what is defined as correct exposure.

The k3 is no more ore less complicated than any other 'auto' camera including your k100d it just give you more steps between 'Auto' and Manual. and more 'features' to allow images capture under less normal shooting environments.
11-25-2014, 11:43 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks, everyone. That's given me a boost of confidence. Good incentive to do well on the defense!