Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2014, 02:45 PM   #1

Changing focus point

When I press the 'change focus point' button, nothing happens. Doesn't seem like the wheels or any of the buttons change anything, the top screen only saus auto.

Hopefully there are smarter men than me out there.

In advance, thanks!

11-25-2014, 02:54 PM   #2
Pentaxian

you need to depress the ok button and hold it for apprx 1 sec. to select either the arrow functions or focal point. Which mode selection will be highlighted in your menu.
11-25-2014, 02:55 PM - 1 Like   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zapper Quote
When I press the 'change focus point' button, nothing happens. Doesn't seem like the wheels or any of the buttons change anything, the top screen only saus auto.

Hopefully there are smarter men than me out there.

In advance, thanks!
If it says auto, you are in, well, auto. Switch to focus point select. You can do this from the control panel or using the AF Mode button in conjunction with the rear e-dial. This is in the manual on page 44. The "select focus point" icon will display and you can use the four-way controller to chose your point. Half-press shutter or OK button to go back to normal mode. If you want to change it again, use the "select focus point" button at lower right at camera rear to go back into select mode.

Steve

---------- Post added 11-25-14 at 02:02 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
you need to depress the ok button and hold it for apprx 1 sec. to select either the arrow functions or focal point. Which mode selection will be highlighted in your menu.
This is how it works on the K-5, but the K-3 is different in how it manages that function. There is a dedicated button.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-25-2014 at 03:00 PM.
11-25-2014, 03:02 PM   #4

Original Poster
I did indeed discover the AF mode button, thought the text was there to describe the AF/MF button. Now I feel stupid, but thanks a lot!

11-25-2014, 03:16 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zapper Quote
I did indeed discover the AF mode button, thought the text was there to describe the AF/MF button. Now I feel stupid, but thanks a lot!
The K-3 is a highly configurable tool and there are a lot of fine points to using its features. The nice thing is that once you know what you use most, making changes on the fly is usually pretty easy.

Now that you know how to do it using the AF mode button, try the control panel (info button) to do the same thing.

Steve