Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-03-2014, 04:19 PM   #46

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
I second the mobile HD backup method (if it has an SD card slot). Personally, I use a HyperDrive iUSBPort HD (long name, small box), which has an SD slot and does error-correction as it copies and has an LCD to confirm what was copied. Either one is better than a stack of SD cards getting mixed up and/or broken in the mail, IMHO.

Nah, he's a dogface, not a squid. (Inside joke to the OP and Heie)

Something to consider is that a K-3 has a lot more "dynamic range" than a point-n-shoot. This means that not only will the colors and resolution be better, but the low-light performance will be much better, even when shooting inside a birdfarm. The lenses on most point-n-shoots are slow and optimized for bright sun, so even the 18-135 will be good for you. Any teleconverter will work much better on a "faster" (larger max aperture) lens, like an f/2.8 or f/4, as opposed to the "slower" 18-135 or 55-200. By better, I mean it will actually autofocus! Just my .02.

I'm checking out that HyperDrive iUSBPort HD right now. Thanks for the tip. FWIW I'm in the Navy but I've been to seven different deserts for a total time in the desert of about two years... and on two different ships for a grand total of three weeks. Ironic eh?

You bring up a good point about the point-and-shoot cameras. I am taking a good look at the Sigma DP2 Merrill as I think it won't be much of a compromise when I can't bring the K-3 for whatever reason.

obin

12-04-2014, 08:29 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Obin Robinson Quote
You bring up a good point about the point-and-shoot cameras. I am taking a good look at the Sigma DP2 Merrill as I think it won't be much of a compromise when I can't bring the K-3 for whatever reason.
Uh... you might want to rethink the Sigma DP Merrills over the K-3 (or even over any other point-n-shoot). I've had a DP2M and currently have an SD1, so I rock the Foveon regularly. Great resolution and color fidelity (and pixie-sparkle-dust in the images), but useless over ISO 400. Even 200 is a stretch, I crap you not.

Thing is, Sigma optics are great, but the non-sensor electronics are seriously crappy: worst JPEGs in the world, slow AF and shutter response against anything moving, then maybe 20 seconds to save a single shot, and after 50 photos your battery is dead! The 14MP Foveon sensor behind that razor-sharp lens is incredible, but the whole package is basically a pint-sized medium format camera, meant to be on a tripod and operated slowly and carefully.

Honestly, I do think a point-n-shoot will be good second camera, but not a Sigma. Maybe a Panasonic LX100 or the Sony RX100-2 or -3, which may not have the same resolution as the K-3 or Foveon, but are useable (and fast) in many situations that the Sigma would require you to sit and wait, or give up entirely (interiors).

Speaking of which, I can say that the 14MP Foveon in optimal conditions has as much resolution as the 24MP sensor in the K-3. However, the K-3 is a much more useable camera in every respect.

BTW: Navy in the desert! Pilot? Flight OPs? Medical? Signals?

Last edited by panoguy; 12-04-2014 at 09:00 AM.
12-04-2014, 11:44 AM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There is a Lumix micro 4/3 camera in the marketplace for 100 Euro's - pair that with a K to 4/3 adapter and you have a good backup 12mp.
12-04-2014, 05:13 PM   #49

Original Poster
Wow! Thanks for the heads up! I am glad I didn't burn the money on the Sigma Merrill! Is there any reason to choose the Panasonic Lumix over a K-01?

obin

12-04-2014, 06:35 PM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I recommended a used one that was cheaper than the k01 bodies I have seen. Also being 4/3 system the crop factor is 2x which gives you additional telephoto reach. But the k01 is a great choice also.
12-06-2014, 09:59 PM   #51

Although out of topic, I wanted to ask how the fa 100-300 4.7-5.8 fares with k-3. I'm getting a deal here for $114. Is it worth the price?

Thanks
12-07-2014, 05:47 PM   #52
Pentaxian

Wow! Thanks for the heads up! I am glad I didn't burn the money on the Sigma Merrill! Is there any reason to choose the Panasonic Lumix over a K-01?
No prob. I usually steer people toward the Sigma Merrills, but with their eyes wide open to just what "quirky" devices they are.

The Panasonic LX100 is my suggestion over a Sigma Merrill, mainly because it is fast, has a wide ranging (and apparently excellent) zoom lens built in, and has an EVF. Compared to the K-01, the LX100 is currently in production and under warranty (if that matters) and has an EVF. The biggest difference, of course, is that a K-01 can take all of your K-mount lenses, while the Panasonic has a built-in, non-interchangeable lens. There is also the slight difference in size.

Last edited by panoguy; 12-07-2014 at 06:08 PM.
12-08-2014, 04:51 AM   #53

Original Poster
Thanks again! The only reason I would lean in the direction of a K-01 is lens compatibility and they will still be autofocus. I lost many good shots while afloat due to the subject being out of focus. I am going to see if a good K-01 pops up online. I was ~this~ close to buying one when I decided to get another lens for the K-3 instead.

obin
12-08-2014, 06:55 AM   #54
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by akshay869 Quote
Although out of topic, I wanted to ask how the fa 100-300 4.7-5.8 fares with k-3. I'm getting a deal here for $114. Is it worth the price?

Thanks
I would probably go for the 55-300 WR for a budget zoom in that range with the K3.

---------- Post added 12-08-14 at 08:56 AM ----------

Thanks again! The only reason I would lean in the direction of a K-01 is lens compatibility and they will still be autofocus. I lost many good shots while afloat due to the subject being out of focus. I am going to see if a good K-01 pops up online. I was ~this~ close to buying one when I decided to get another lens for the K-3 instead.

obin
They hit the marketplace here off and on for cheap!