Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2014, 10:24 AM   #1

auto focus for groups

Hey all ..
I have a family shoot * mine* where the camera will be on a tripod fired remotely..
which auto focus setting would you use ? I have typically used spot and set it on one persons cheek but that person may move?
I assume auto-27 but would like your opinion..
thanks

12-05-2014, 10:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dubsider Quote
Hey all ..
I have a family shoot * mine* where the camera will be on a tripod fired remotely..
which auto focus setting would you use ? I have typically used spot and set it on one persons cheek but that person may move?
I assume auto-27 but would like your opinion..
thanks
Auto or Pre Focus and turn off the Auto Focus.
12-05-2014, 10:32 AM   #3

Focus on someone in the middle then switch to manual focus so it doesn't change. Just use a wide angle lens and smaller fstop, like 8, and focus should be fine
12-05-2014, 10:36 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You didn't mention what camera you will be using...
Use the AF button to obtain focus, disable half-press shutter to 'focus'; take advantage of hyperfocal distance, wider focal length and smaller aperture (like f8 as someone mentioned) if the lighting permits.

12-05-2014, 11:58 AM   #5

Original Poster
K-3 with 1.11 firmware
half press is disable; I use the AF button. and I will have at least one Studio light so that should not be a problem
12-05-2014, 11:59 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Depth of field is your main issue here. You need to be shooting with sufficient light to warrant a deeper depth of field to capture the people and a high enough shutter speed to stop any motion. I'd also set it to bracket if possible so you get one over, one under, and one correct exposure all at once. Good luck.
12-05-2014, 12:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Depth of field is your main issue here. You need to be shooting with sufficient light to warrant a deeper depth of field to capture the people and a high enough shutter speed to stop any motion. I'd also set it to bracket if possible so you get one over, one under, and one correct exposure all at once. Good luck.
^^What he said^^
I would manual focus with aperture set to get the proper depth of field, then adjust shutter speed and ISO for proper exposure. Bracketing is a good insurance.

12-05-2014, 12:22 PM   #8

Original Poster
great .. thanks all for the quick replies.
12-05-2014, 01:44 PM   #9
Veteran Member

You don't need AF at all, really. You control where your tripod will be, you know where the people will be, you know what lens you're going to use, and you can guess how many feet of depth need to be in focus. Use a depth of field calculator to set the aperture and distance for that and you can have it all ready in advance. Set it to aperture priority if you don't want to bother figuring out the best ISO and shutter speed in advance, too.

Online Depth of Field Calculator

Or short version, if you have a 24mm or wider lens, pop it on f8, prefocus to 8 feet, and put the tripod a minimum of 6 feet from the closest person and a maximum of 20 feet from the furthest back person, whatever you need to get them all in.
12-05-2014, 05:19 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Use a depth of field calculator to set the aperture and distance for that and you can have it all ready in advance. Set it to aperture priority if you don't want to bother figuring out the best ISO and shutter speed in advance, too.

Online Depth of Field Calculator
There is also a depth of field calculator for the iPhone or iPad. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/depth-of-field-calculator/id356339910?mt=8