Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
12-10-2014, 11:50 PM   #1
Veteran Member

the world's stupidest thread, battery charger

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

the charger i got with my k3 isn't doing what i would expect.

if i place a depleted battery on the charger, i get a green LED. no matter how long the battery stays on there, i still have a green LED. there is no indication as to whether the battery has charged or not.

are they all like this? is it really a guessing game? seems ridiculous to me.

12-10-2014, 11:53 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, they all work that way.

When the light goes OUT, the battery is charged. Put it back in the camera.
12-10-2014, 11:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
the light never goes out...

that's what i'm getting at.
12-11-2014, 12:30 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Then you have a battery that is bad. The first charge on mine took over 6 hrs to go out !

12-11-2014, 12:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
ok well if it took 6 hrs then maybe i'm just impatient. my k20 batteries would charge in about 90 mins.
12-11-2014, 12:45 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

my first charge with k-3 took overnight
12-11-2014, 12:53 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh geez. Well I guess it's my bad.

The camera showed them as half charged right out the box so I didn't anticipate a 6 hour charge time.

12-11-2014, 02:17 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Its not stupid. The charger light goes on when it is active so that you know it is doing something. Otherwise you might plug it in and wait "forever", not realizing the cord has no power, or the battery is plugged in wrong. This is why the light is on when charging.
And yes, it takes a long time, it is a powerful battery. I never timed it, but I usually leave it overnight. 90 minutes?? Wow, that sounds a little too fast.
Anyway, feel free to purchase a second battery, so you can swap them out. Getting an original is best, but most expensive. You can buy a third party battery, but find a reputable brand, search the forums to see other people's experiences with it.
12-11-2014, 02:39 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I picked up 2 for something like $13 on ebay......I will post the link in a couple minutes.
Ive bought several from this guy and they all seem ok after 14 months.....for the K30 that is.
Here is the link. ... 2pcs DSTE D LI90 Rechargeable Battery for Pentax K 01 K 3 K 5 K 5 II K 7 | eBay
I may have got lucky as I dont know much about them other than they work just fine , he ships fast , and the price is right !
12-11-2014, 07:51 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My camera came with two... But thanks for the link. Will keep that in mind if the OEMS crap out
12-11-2014, 10:10 AM   #11
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by wibbly Quote
the light never goes out...

that's what i'm getting at.
Never?

Never is a long time.

Just ask Peter Pan or Tinker Bell.

Although I have never actually time mine, the batteries for my K10D and K5IIs take quite a while to charge up. But they also provide power to the cameras for a very long time.

Almost forever.

But not quite.

As Na Horuk pointed out, the batteries in our Pentax cameras are very powerful.
12-11-2014, 11:21 AM   #12

Location: Rainforest of Canada Vancouver Island and the sagebrush of southern Okanagan, BC
world's stupidest thread, battery charger

Bought a new K5II September 2013, came with a 'dud' battery where the green light would never go out. Camera dealer replaced it for free. Took a full 6 hours to charge and when done the green light went out. Bought a K3 with battery grip in November 2013 and when fully drained the batteries take a full 6 hours to charge.
12-11-2014, 12:18 PM   #13
Veteran Member

The LI-90 batteries last so long, I rarely need to charge mine more than 2-3 hours. I don't think I've ever fully depleted one. I have one in the camera and one in the grip, both Pentax OEM.
12-11-2014, 05:38 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Veteran Member

OK, folks. Here's the deal.

First, always charge the new battery until the light goes out. Do not use it until its fully charged. The Pentax chargers are slow, but very good at getting every drop of charge into the battery - and ensuring that the battery will last a long time.

After the first charge, run the battery until it fails and recharge in a Pentax charger. A good idea to do this on the second charge, as well. All rechargeable batteries - yes even modern Li-ion - benefit somewhat from proper forming. After that, you can worry less about discharge issues. But every now and then it is still a good idea to run the battery down more than one bar.

The DSTE travel charger (same as Wasabi) is a good quick charger. Do not hesitate to use it - even on your Pentax battery - when you need a quick charge. However, all batteries live longer and retain capacity when charged slowly. So, if you have the time, stick with the Pentax slow charger. Even with a good, smart charger (fast chargers that slow when the battery nears full charge), you are baking it at high charge - and that is not the better way to go...

Last edited by ScooterMaxi Jim; 12-11-2014 at 07:17 PM.
12-11-2014, 08:18 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
The DSTE travel charger (same as Wasabi) is a good quick charger. Do not hesitate to use it - even on your Pentax battery - when you need a quick charge. However, all batteries live longer and retain capacity when charged slowly. So, if you have the time, stick with the Pentax slow charger. Even with a good, smart charger (fast chargers that slow when the battery nears full charge), you are baking it at high charge - and that is not the better way to go...
I could not have said it better.

Steve