Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-21-2015, 10:10 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ronuser Quote
Anyone owning a K3 use this wireless 16GB FluCard? If so, work well, thoughts? With a tablet, ipad etc...? Thanks, Ron
My first FLUCARD died after a few hours (over a week) of testing.

RICOH just sent me a new one and I was able to test it out again.

The short story (best I can do while traveling and typing from my phone) is that the FLUCARD is practically useless. I cannot see how this can be used for anything more than a short-lived curiosity.

Where do I begin? Here are some bullet points:
(Please, forgive and correct me if there are any errors, due to my ignorance of the Flucard)

- The WiFi link breaks easily. It might be less of a problem if your camera (K-3 is preferred) is AC powered and/or you adjust your time-out value).

- There is no known native app. for either Android/iPhone. There are a few paid 3rd party apps but I didn't try any.

- The web interface is a very slow!

- The web interface is not properly responsive to different screen dimensions. i.e. controls are not available in either portrait or landscape, doesn't take advantage of portrait space.

- live controls are flaky.

- you live view is too slow to update.

- Occasionally, the web interface will become non-responsive...requiring restart.

- Offers very limited and disappointing control over camera's functions. It could have been so much more. i.e. No HDR or exposure bracketing...basically, bare bones capability.

Bottom line (IMHO), you are far better off buying a portable HDMI viewer and a wireless shutter control.

I am happy to provide examples (screen captures) and additional clarity.

BTW, I will sell my brand new (replaced new from RICOH/Pentax a few weeks ago) for $65.00.

I really don't recommend it...but with this warning, I feel I can sell it with a clear conscience.

--
Shawn

04-21-2015, 02:32 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxmz Quote

The short story (best I can do while traveling and typing from my phone) is that the FLUCARD is practically useless. I cannot see how this can be used for anything more than a short-lived curiosity.

(Please, forgive and correct me if there are any errors, due to my ignorance of the Flucard)

<< see below>>

Bottom line (IMHO), you are far better off buying a portable HDMI viewer and a wireless shutter control.

BTW, I will sell my brand new (replaced new from RICOH/Pentax a few weeks ago) for $65.00.

I really don't recommend it...but with this warning, I feel I can sell it with a clear conscience.

--
Shawn

- The WiFi link breaks easily. It might be less of a problem if your camera (K-3 is preferred) is AC powered and/or you adjust your time-out value). Not my experience - but yes, you will need to adjust your time-out settings

- There is no known native app. for either Android/iPhone. There are a few paid 3rd party apps but I didn't try any. What apps? The FluCard only requires a browser such as Safari or Chrome. Works fine with my old iPhone 3G as well as my WIN7 netbook.

- The web interface is a very slow! If you by 'Interface' mean shutter and camera settings, I don't think so. If you mean image transfer (I never use that) I somewhat agree. And initialization does take its time.

- The web interface is not properly responsive to different screen dimensions. i.e. controls are not available in either portrait or landscape, doesn't take advantage of portrait space. It is, but it is poorly described in the documentation: Minimize your browser window first and then drag it to proper size (where all controls will appear),

- live controls are flaky. Do you mean unreliable? Can you explain in what way? I haven't had any issues with any of the controls available: Aperture, exposure time, exposure compensation, ISO setting, focus point setting, magnification, shutter release

- you live view is too slow to update. Agree, if you think of shooting moving things.

- Occasionally, the web interface will become non-responsive...requiring restart. Yes, it may happen, but isn't it mostly a pproblem of time-out settings as per your comment above? I don't think it is any more unreliable in this respect than other, similar wireless devices.

- Offers very limited and disappointing control over camera's functions. It could have been so much more. i.e. No HDR or exposure bracketing...basically, bare bones capability. I fully agree that here there is room for improvements here. I wasn't disappointed, though, when I bought this thing because I read the product documentation first, So, I knew what I paid for and what I got. Still, I would also like to see some upgrade here.......

One addtional issue that should be mentioned to potential buyers is that the card consumes a good deal of power. A battery grip might come in handy here. (Or bring a couple of extra, fully charged batteries with you).
04-21-2015, 06:37 PM   #18

There is one tip to improve Wi-Fi stability. It is not only for Flucard, but any Wi-Fi devices using the video streaming.

- You may identify which channel is the least congested in your environment by using any Wi-Fi tool, such as Wifi Analyzer( https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer)
- You should choose the channel at the wireless setting page of Flucard Web UI

I hope that the next upgrade of Flucard firmware will support a function to automatically choose the channel at Wi-Fi start up.
04-21-2015, 07:10 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use it. I had a lot of issues at first but got them worked out. I get some neat landscapes, especially if I forgoe a tripod and use another flat surface for long exposure. Its neat but I dont expect miracles. I use it with my kindle.

04-23-2015, 02:40 AM   #20
Veteran Member

- The WiFi link breaks easily. It might be less of a problem if your camera (K-3 is preferred) is AC powered and/or you adjust your time-out value).

- There is no known native app. for either Android/iPhone. There are a few paid 3rd party apps but I didn't try any.

- The web interface is a very slow!

- The web interface is not properly responsive to different screen dimensions. i.e. controls are not available in either portrait or landscape, doesn't take advantage of portrait space.

- live controls are flaky.

- you live view is too slow to update.

- Occasionally, the web interface will become non-responsive...requiring restart.

- Offers very limited and disappointing control over camera's functions. It could have been so much more. i.e. No HDR or exposure bracketing...basically, bare bones capability.

--
Shawn
Sounds like you don't have the card on a free (ish) channel and congestion is killing the link.

You can download something like WiFianyliser (android) to find free channels , unfortunately WiFi is a complex beast and in built up industrialized areas is unlikely to work well with just 'try it and see'
You may not have realized but WiFi (802.11n) is never going to be fast enough to transfer 24mp files RAW or jpg in a timely manner so if you were expecting this you'll be disappointed it a limit of the technology not the card.

On going 802.11ac might deliver but then you'll need new devices (phone, tablet or PC)to attach to it they woudl also need to support 802.11ac

The FLU card works well for what it is but documentation could be better (as expectations vary from what it is) it's a network tool not a toy (Wifi connectivity to your phone) so requires a reasonable level of commitment to get it working within your workflow.
If you just wanted remote control and a bit of a play any of the cameras with 'in-built WiFi' deliver this limited functionality

The FLU card is a wireless LAN device rather than a RF enabled android/ios APP WiFi certified.

If your after fun picture sharing via social media then something like the KS2 or EyeFi card would fit the bill considerably better, the Eyefi card more so than the KS2 as it can connect to public networks

In summary fro other prospective purchases

If you have no defined Use Case fro why you need a Wireless LAN card but just 'fancy the idea of WiFi then the Flu card is not for you.

What the FLU card can do
1 create a multiple device wireless LAN
2 Allow remote control of all major camera functions
3 download reasonable thumbs for viewing (6mp works fine for me)

I use mine to allow direct sales from a web 'photo site' within 5 minutes of the picture being take from 9 miles away from my NAS .
I use the remote capabilities to allow wild life imaging from the camera whilst I'm away from it (fun for me)

I use Eyefi as well to allow upload image whilst on Holiday from public WiFi access points.

Most integrated WiFi do not offer this level of functionality but are considerably easier to 'set up'

Last edited by awaldram; 04-23-2015 at 02:50 AM.
04-23-2015, 04:43 AM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Instead of bitching about it, how about listening to those that say it works as intended. It's not perfect, but I can personally attest to using it to capture images that would have been damn near impossible without it.

Read through these two blog posts and then tell me it's useless. Do I wish the new K-3 II had it internal like the K-S2? Of course, but it's still a boon than otherwise not having the ability a la K-5 II and earlier.

Alex Jansen Photography | Here Comes Baby! - Our Pregnancy Announcement

Alex Jansen Photography | Soldier by Day, Pentaxian by Night

Again, it's not perfect, and there's always a thing or two to improve regardless of what we are talking about, but I have found the Flucard to be worth every penny and I remember wishing I had it on specific shoots before I got it. It is beyond another new accessory - it has completely opened new creative doors for me as a photographer.

-Heie
04-23-2015, 05:39 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My experience, related in other threads, is that the FLUcard requires you to exercise a bit of imagination and a lot of experimentation to get it to work for you. Others have clearly stated what it doesn't do well (mostly transferring large files for quick previews on smart phones and tablets). I've found it excellent for working at a (comparatively small) distance, low shots (including macro work) and waist level walk around shots.

It's not the same tool as a flippy screen (unless, of course, we're talking about a touch screen and even then it has the advantage of not shaking the camera when you "press" the shutter button) because it is free to move independently. With a conventional screen, of course, focus etc has to be achieved using the camera controls. If we still had power zoom lenses and we could control them from the FLUcard that'd be even better.

If you can't get it to work for you, it's either faulty, you're not using it correctly, you're not thinking broadly enough about how to apply it or (I reckon) there's a slim chance that there is no use for it in the work you do.