Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-23-2014, 04:04 PM - 1 Like   #1
Unregistered User

Live View and Multi Exposure

So I normaly do not use Live View that much but I do alot of multi exposures. Today I combined the both and I was really surprised to find that a ghost of the progress was shown in the live view so that positioning the coming exposure became a breeze instead of guess work.

Has this been along all the time? Did it exist on the K-5? K-5ii?

Has anyone read about this in the manual or elsewhere?

I guess Santa came early to me this year =)

Any other "secret" functions I may have missed?

/T

12-23-2014, 05:14 PM   #2

This is very interesting - are you using this to create images with motion, ala smooth waterfalls? Or are you doing multi shot panos? Just looking for some further elaboration!
12-23-2014, 05:28 PM   #3
Unregistered User

I use it differently. Sometimes taking 10 images at fast shutter speed adding up to a correct exposure, or using median to make water soft or adding car lights into one image with alot of traffic using third option.
12-23-2014, 05:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
So I normaly do not use Live View that much but I do alot of multi exposures. Today I combined the both and I was really surprised to find that a ghost of the progress was shown in the live view so that positioning the coming exposure became a breeze instead of guess work.

Has this been along all the time? Did it exist on the K-5? K-5ii?

Has anyone read about this in the manual or elsewhere?

I guess Santa came early to me this year =)

Any other "secret" functions I may have missed?

/T
How's about some samples of your multiple exposures ?

12-23-2014, 05:39 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by chromo Quote
How's about some samples of your multiple exposures ?
I'd like to see some samples as well.
12-23-2014, 05:40 PM   #6
Forum Member

Just tried it on the K3 and K5 and Yes they both have that ability, The K5's accesses double X by the menu, the K3 by the mode drive!
12-23-2014, 05:46 PM - 1 Like   #7
Unregistered User

First off: I really like to know if anyone else has seen the "ghosting" functionality or is everyone surprised?

And now:

Here is one. Making the water turn into clouds.

https://500px.com/photo/91913931/flyby-by-thomas-hedlund?from=user_library

EDIT: Multiple 1 second shots. Not sure how many but probably 5. Using the median.

The effect I go for is like the one below. This one is at 8 seconds so no double exposure was needed but it would not hurt.
It is when it is to bright and/or the ND-filter is back home you really can use this technique.

Last edited by Unregistered User; 12-23-2014 at 05:58 PM.
12-24-2014, 02:43 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I've had the K5 since it came out and I've newer noticed this ghosting, but yes, it's there. Cool.
Normally I use a tripod for multi-exposures so that's probably why I never seen it before.

But wait, wasn't there also a bug with multi-exposures where the color temp. was messed up so that lightroom had a hard time correcting it? Everything turns purple if I recall correctly.
12-24-2014, 05:22 AM   #9
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
I've had the K5 since it came out and I've newer noticed this ghosting, but yes, it's there. Cool.
Normally I use a tripod for multi-exposures so that's probably why I never seen it before.

But wait, wasn't there also a bug with multi-exposures where the color temp. was messed up so that lightroom had a hard time correcting it? Everything turns purple if I recall correctly.
Have not seen that...
12-26-2014, 12:50 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
Have not seen that...
I've just tried it again and the problem is still there. The color temperature is messed up, and sometimes so much it can't be corrected.
Both DNG and PEF is effected.

Multi exposure must be a function that pretty much no one uses, since there is ALMOST no complains about it. There are some, but not much.

see for instance:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/137365-c...-pentax-3.html

The K10d did not have this problem.
12-26-2014, 01:07 PM   #11
Unregistered User

I've just tried it again and the problem is still there. The color temperature is messed up, and sometimes so much it can't be corrected.
Both DNG and PEF is effected.

Multi exposure must be a function that pretty much no one uses, since there is ALMOST no complains about it. There are some, but not much.

see for instance:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/137365-c...-pentax-3.html

The K10d did not have this problem.
How do I make this happen on my K-3. I have shot tons of multiexposures and have never seen a strange color cast. So how do I set it up? I only shoot PEF

EDIT: What camera, firmware and software and software version are you using?

Last edited by Unregistered User; 12-26-2014 at 02:00 PM.
12-27-2014, 03:50 AM   #12
Pentaxian

For my latest test I used Raw Therapee 4.2.3
Set WB in camera to a preset, I used "Tungsten light" for my test. Then I shoot one normal single exposure, and then a 9 pictures multi exposure with "auto EV adjustment" on.

Then when loaded into Raw Therapee they both look ok, but check the color temperature, they are very different. If I now select a preset color temp in raw therapee, for instance "Tungsten" the multi exposure picture will turn magenta while the single exposure will be pretty much unchanged as they where both shoot in Tungsten light in the first place.
12-27-2014, 07:57 AM   #13
Unregistered User

For my latest test I used Raw Therapee 4.2.3
Set WB in camera to a preset, I used "Tungsten light" for my test. Then I shoot one normal single exposure, and then a 9 pictures multi exposure with "auto EV adjustment" on.

Then when loaded into Raw Therapee they both look ok, but check the color temperature, they are very different. If I now select a preset color temp in raw therapee, for instance "Tungsten" the multi exposure picture will turn magenta while the single exposure will be pretty much unchanged as they where both shoot in Tungsten light in the first place.
And you are using the K-5, right?

---------- Post added 12-27-14 at 04:02 PM ----------

Well, I just did as you wrote but my WB values are identical and no magenta present. K-3 FW 1.11 PEF Adobe Camera RAW 8.7.1

Last edited by Unregistered User; 12-27-2014 at 08:15 AM.
12-27-2014, 12:24 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Yes, I'm using the K5,
I also read that the Nikon D7000 had the same problem, and that Adobe "fixed" the problem (or a least created a work around solution), in lightroom version 3.4 or something. Anyhow, it's a good thing that K3 seems to be working as it should.