Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-24-2014, 06:18 PM   #1
Forum Member

K3 vs D7100

Hey guys,

Seen a decent deal on a d7100 for $750 (may take less) used with a 18-105mm lens. It only has 3k shots and great condition. I was really looking out for a better deal on a k3 due to more rugged body and perceived image quality, but this seems like a great deal. Looking for advice please before I pull the trigger.

What do you guys think?

Mike Taylor

12-24-2014, 06:38 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

D7100 - No IBIS/slower FPS/A lot less cross type focusing points/greater shutter lag/worse egonomics.. etc
12-24-2014, 06:41 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Prices of the K-3 are way down; I've seen them as low as $696 and you can find them any day of the week of less than $750. But having said that, don't choose solely on the basis of price. Nikon makes a good camera but is it what you really want? Do you want a Ford or do you want a BMW?
12-24-2014, 06:43 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've been comparing the two online for a while now. Feature wise, the K-3 wins, especially weather sealing and buffer size and the ability to shoot burst mode. Other specs are really close.

I am staying with Pentax and will upgrade my K-x to the K-3 for two reasons: 1) I am already invested in a couple of lenses that I really like, the Tamron 17-50 2.8 and the Sigma 50-150 HSM 2.8 and 2) feature wise I don't think you can beat Pentax.

If you aren't invested too heavily in either system, you can't go wrong with either camera, depending on your shooting style of course.

12-24-2014, 06:54 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Good points man on the advantages on the k3.

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
D7100 - No IBIS/slower FPS/A lot less cross type focusing points/greater shutter lag/worse egonomics.. etc

---------- Post added 12-24-14 at 08:57 PM ----------

Thanks man, I am not invested in either and really been more tracking the k3 for a couple months. At 750 with a lense it is not that much less than a k3.

QuoteOriginally posted by gebco Quote
I've been comparing the two online for a while now. Feature wise, the K-3 wins, especially weather sealing and buffer size and the ability to shoot burst mode. Other specs are really close.

I am staying with Pentax and will upgrade my K-x to the K-3 for two reasons: 1) I am already invested in a couple of lenses that I really like, the Tamron 17-50 2.8 and the Sigma 50-150 HSM 2.8 and 2) feature wise I don't think you can beat Pentax.

If you aren't invested too heavily in either system, you can't go wrong with either camera, depending on your shooting style of course.
12-24-2014, 07:20 PM - 3 Likes   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Similar products from different brands- both have their pros and cons which you can read about in reviews, but they're minutiae IMO. In a nutshell, the Pentax has better ergonomics and innovative features like the AA filter simulator, while the Nikon has faster AF and better video. If you're not invested in either system you'd probably be happy with both. Of course, if you went with the Pentax you'd be able to talk about it on the best fan site there is

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-24-2014, 07:32 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thx Alex

Yeah, I would miss this site. Thx

Mike

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Similar

products from different brands- both have their pros and cons which you can read about in reviews, but they're minutiae IMO. In a nutshell, the Pentax has better ergonomics and innovative features like the AA filter simulator, while the Nikon has faster AF and better video. If you're not invested in either system you'd probably be happy with both. Of course, if you went with the Pentax you'd be able to talk about it on the best fan site there is

12-24-2014, 07:48 PM   #8
Veteran Member

A couple months ago I realized I had joined this site, a year prior, donated to become a full member, and then went away for the rest of the year. When I got interested in the K-3 due to falling prices I revisited this site and rediscovered how nice the folks are. That alone makes up for the shortcomings of the K-3. It's a steal for the price. The D7100 is also nice. I own both. But I shoot the K-3 more because it's fun to chat here, with all these great people.

New York has a lot to offer, but I like Iowa people. Same principle.
12-24-2014, 07:54 PM   #9
Veteran Member

If you absolutely have to have Nikon AF system, the decision is simple, go with Nikon, otherwise, everything else on the k-3 is just a bit better IMHO. I have the k-3 (bought at $620 during BB sale), it is such a joy to use; keeping in mind that I am not putting the D7100 down at all, still a good camera.
12-24-2014, 08:26 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wolfeye Quote
A couple months ago I realized I had joined this site, a year prior, donated to become a full member, and then went away for the rest of the year. When I got interested in the K-3 due to falling prices I revisited this site and rediscovered how nice the folks are. That alone makes up for the shortcomings of the K-3. It's a steal for the price. The D7100 is also nice. I own both. But I shoot the K-3 more because it's fun to chat here, with all these great people.

Wolfeye,

Since you have both, overall in your opinion if you had to choose an overall all around camera would you go with k3 or 7100? Really looking for a strong portrait camera, family pics and outdoor vacation pics.

Thx,
Mike

---------- Post added 12-24-14 at 10:27 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
If you absolutely have to have Nikon AF system, the decision is simple, go with Nikon, otherwise, everything else on the k-3 is just a bit better IMHO. I have the k-3 (bought at $620 during BB sale), it is such a joy to use; keeping in mind that I am not putting the D7100 down at all, still a good camera.
I wish we could get $620 price now as I would get it in a second.

Thx,
Mike
12-24-2014, 08:46 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
What he said Seriously, if you have to have precise AF quickly, like high speed sports, then the Nikon is more your camera. Otherwise, welcome aboard.
12-24-2014, 09:39 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Re: sports

In everything I read, it seems d7100 has faster af and more focus points, but that the K-3 isn't that bad with the improved focus points and software. It comes down to lens in many cases. Nikon gives more choice there. Where the Nikon falls short for sport shooting is the buffer, which I understand fills up much more quickly than the K-3.
12-24-2014, 10:06 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tampamiketaylor Quote
Wolfeye,

Since you have both, overall in your opinion if you had to choose an overall all around camera would you go with k3 or 7100? Really looking for a strong portrait camera, family pics and outdoor vacation pics.
Well, if I had no other system nor lenses, the K-3 and weather sealed 18-135mm lens would be the way I'd go for portraits and vacation pictures. I think the Nikon has better high-ISO performance as well as the AF speed edge, but those aren't advantages relevant in your shooting situations. The K-3 has the biggest advantage in cheap lens selection because every K-mount lens ever made will not only fit, it will be image stabilized. A vast array of older Nikon lenses will fit the D7100 but their very oldest F-mount lenses won't, and in fact if you try and use them unmodified on the D7100 you can damage the camera. Even then, none of the old Nikons will be image stabilized. All in all the image quality is very close, but I give a slight nod to Nikon's, when using equivalent lenses.

One other minor factor is that everybody who sells cameras sells Nikon. Parts, lenses and accessories are far easier to obtain. Third-party lens makers also support Nikon to a greater extent than Pentax, but keep in mind those lenses which ARE available for both Pentax and Nikon mounts, without image stabilization, are suddenly image stabilized on the K-3, and remain non-stabilized on the D7100.

One thing is 100% certain. They are both great cameras and you won't be making a mistake with either one. Canon's 70D is another peach out there, and I own that one too. I love cameras.
12-24-2014, 10:26 PM   #14
Veteran Member

To me body based Image stabilization is a huge deal. Companies with Billon dollar R&D budget like Nikon or Canon refuse to put Image Stabilization into their camera bodies. Why? Of course they can. But they dont.
Milking your customers is one thing but ripping them off with every single lens purchase is criminal offense.
You should also look at Sony A58/A77ii cameras also. Not as good image quality wise but amazing video,faster AF more than make up. Lastly PentaxForums is unarguably the best enthusiast Photo site on this planet. You will feel at home here
12-25-2014, 04:17 AM   #15
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dakight Quote
Nikon makes a good camera but is it what you really want? Do you want a Ford or do you want a BMW?
QuoteOriginally posted by Wolfeye Quote
So is Pentax is a Ford in Iowa and Nikon a BMW in New York? Or is Pentax a BMW in Iowa and Nikon a Ford in New York?

With such an identity crisis it's no wonder they have trouble with marketing.