Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-29-2014, 12:58 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Serious lanscape and panorama lens...help with Samyang 14mm

I'm about ready to jump on a 14mm Samyang lens for small panoramas and landscape.
However I have a few questions ?

Is this lens as good as I read about it ?
Are all the different names like Rokinon , Bower , Samyang , Bell and Howell , etc........the same lens ?
And last but not least is the price of about 300 bucks a good deal ?

I need some serious input from those that have used this lens......Yes...I know its all manual.

12-29-2014, 01:10 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by az1895 Quote
Are all the different names like Rokinon , Bower , Samyang , Bell and Howell , etc........the same lens ?
Yup, they're all the same. On APS-C, the 14mm is a very good lens, and it's really quite a bargain at that price compared to other AF lenses.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-29-2014, 01:13 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Samyang lenses are routinely marketed under all those names and more (I have their 85/1.4 and its branded "Vivitar" for example), so yes they are all the same lenses. $299 for brand new looks to be a good price. I have the 8mm and the 85 from Rokinon and the 85/1.4 by them is the best portrait lens I own (including my DA70 Ltd) period. They are all built like old Tak lenses - tough, heavy, descent throws that are well dampened, and solid.

I like this review of the lens - balanced but comes down on the side of a darn good lens:
Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC Aspherical - Full Format Review / Test Report
12-29-2014, 01:16 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Is this lens as good as I read about it ?
Yes. Main problem is QC, you can get a bad copy. So its a good idea to buy this lens with warranties, so you can return it for a better copy. My first copy was decentered, so half of the frame was soft and had different CA. The second copy is slightly better, but not perfect. Other than that, very sharp lens, performs very well. For someone new to UWA I would recommend the Samyang 16mm instead, though. f2.0, easier to focus, not as awkwardly wide, and I think it has has filter threads (14mm cannot remove hood, has no filter threads)

..and Walimex, ProOptic, Falcon,... while we had no official confirmation, and the lenses are often sold at different prices, even in the same store, they appear to be the exact same optics. Even the Vivitar.
And last but not least is the price of about 300 bucks a good deal ?
New or used? And which region? US vs. EU vs. Australia are very different, for example. $300 usd might be a little high, but its not a ripoff. B&H has it here: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/769552-REG/Rokinon_FE14M_P_14mm_Ultra_...gle_f_2_8.html
And here, for a little lower price: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/698932-REG/Bower_SLY14MMF2_8P_14mm_f_2...l/prm/alsVwDtl
If you use the PentaxForums code, you get some forum benefits with your purchase. There were also some sales recently, with nicely discounted Samyang lenses. Maybe you can still find some.

I need some serious input from those that have used this lens......Yes...I know its all manual.
There are some threads about this, with sample photos and so on. I think the main one is called the Samyang lens club. Its a good lens. Samyang 10mm, 14mm, 16mm, 24mm, 35mm, 85mm are all great lenses, at least optically. If you can live with MF and possible QC worries. Keep in mind that you need to buy a "For Pentax" or "K-mount" lens (sometimes labelled as KR). Feel free to use the search function

Last edited by Na Horuk; 12-29-2014 at 01:36 PM.
12-29-2014, 01:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
For someone new to UWA I would recommend the Samyang 16mm instead, though. f2.0, easier to focus, not as awkwardly wide, and I think it has has filter threads (14mm cannot remove hood, has no filter threads)

New or used? And which region
USA and brand new.
I considered the 16mm but it is ApsC. I'm wanting the equiv to about a 21mm .....so this looks like it.
I only own one lens that is ApsC and its the 18-135 WR.
I made a promise that it will be FF lenses until the FF Pentax body comes out or the FF debacle is dead and pushing up Daisy's !
Thanks for the suggestion of getting one from a dealer so I can exchange if needed.
12-29-2014, 04:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I considered the 16mm but it is ApsC. I'm wanting the equiv to about a 21mm .....so this looks like it.
Just to clarify one thing in case you misunderstand "equivalent focal length". 16mm "for film" and 16mm "for APSC" will have the exact same field of view on your camera. The only difference is that the "for film" one will work well on film and full frame sensors, while the "for APSC" one might not project an image circle big enough for the bigger sensor. FA 200mm is the same field of view as DA 200mm. If you insist on "equivalent" focal length, the factor applies to all focal length, by any manufacturer in any time period. 50mm is 50mm, since focal length is a lens property. Field of view however is affected by the camera (film plane, sensor size). So the difference between Samyang 14mm and Samyang is 2mm. And sure, that is significant. Lots of people make the mistake, thinking that if they buy a 300mm "for film" it won't be the same as a 300mm "for crop". But the field of view will be the same.

Since I have the 14mm, and I won't be using it on any film or full frame camera, I would buy the 16mm if I were buying now. The factors for me are f2.0, filter threads, and "not as awkwardly wide." Anyway, both of these lenses are very wide and both are very optically good.

Oh and btw, you can check more user reviews here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/samyang-prime-lenses-c114.html
12-29-2014, 11:19 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the Bower copy of this lens and find it very good. My first copy was decentered, but a quick exchange with B&H gave me a very good copy.
I made two threads about my experience with the lens, maybe this will help.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/237072-bowe...ngle-lens.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/238153-bower-14mm-f-2-8-a.html

12-30-2014, 01:15 AM   #8

I recently used this lens in Iceland and Italy.

You can see sample photos from here.

Iceland - Yigit Yuksel | Photographer, Graphic & Web Designer, Traveler, Northern Lights Addict, Petrolhead
Italy - Yigit Yuksel | Photographer, Graphic & Web Designer, Traveler, Northern Lights Addict, Petrolhead

Pros
+ Easy to focus
+ Sharp and fast lens
+ Good IQ
+ Price

Cons
- Need to calibrate infinity stop
- No AF
- Undetachable lens hood
- Your lens could be sharp or less sharp. It's all about some luck.
12-30-2014, 05:48 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nitrogliserin Quote
I recently used this lens in Iceland and Italy.

You can see sample photos from here.

Iceland - Yigit Yuksel | Photographer, Graphic & Web Designer, Traveler, Northern Lights Addict, Petrolhead
Italy - Yigit Yuksel | Photographer, Graphic & Web Designer, Traveler, Northern Lights Addict, Petrolhead

Pros
+ Easy to focus
+ Sharp and fast lens
+ Good IQ
+ Price

Cons
- Need to calibrate infinity stop
- No AF
- Undetachable lens hood
- Your lens could be sharp or less sharp. It's all about some luck.
Fantastic !
This will give the exact perspective I desire !
Thank you for posting your shots.

Can infinity stop be easily adjusted ? Or is it easier to just remark the scale ?

---------- Post added 2014-12-30 at 18:43 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Wingincamera Quote
I have the Bower copy of this lens and find it very good. My first copy was decentered, but a quick exchange with B&H gave me a very good copy.
I made two threads about my experience with the lens, maybe this will help.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/237072-bowe...ngle-lens.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/238153-bower-14mm-f-2-8-a.html
Thank you for sharing this. I believe B&H has this lens right now for $259. This is the perspective I'm looking for.

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 12-30-2014 at 06:14 AM.
12-30-2014, 07:18 AM   #10

Fantastic !
This will give the exact perspective I desire !
Thank you for posting your shots.

Can infinity stop be easily adjusted ? Or is it easier to just remark the scale ?

---------- Post added 2014-12-30 at 18:43 ----------

Thank you for sharing this. I believe B&H has this lens right now for $259. This is the perspective I'm looking for.
You're welcome.

Adjusting the infinity stop is too easy.

Just follow the steps as described in this video.
12-30-2014, 08:43 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nitrogliserin Quote
You're welcome.

Adjusting the infinity stop is too easy.

Just follow the steps as described in this video.
http://youtu.be/gtt9bcJDU2U
I'm on mobile....something is wrong with the link ?
12-30-2014, 09:07 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Link works fine on my desktop and iPhone.
12-31-2014, 01:59 AM   #13

Some YT videos are disable on mobile version of YT. You can watch it on desktop site (normal site).
01-07-2015, 06:58 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Its ordered and should be here on Friday.
Ended up getting the Bower 14mm for $259 through B&H.
01-07-2015, 11:15 AM   #15

Welcome on board. I hope you'll like it.