Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2014, 07:50 PM   #1

best backpack and/or ICU for K-3 with gear

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I'm trying to find the best backpack and/or stand-alone ICU (to fit into a pack I already own). I'll be using it for both hiking and trail running. It will need to accommodate a K-3 with grip, a Sigma 10-20, an SMC Pentax 80-210, a WR 18-55, a tripod, and a few filters. Any suggestions much appreciated. Particularly interested in systems folks have actually used and had success with.

12-29-2014, 08:16 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TrailRunner Quote
I'm trying to find the best backpack and/or stand-alone ICU (to fit into a pack I already own). I'll be using it for both hiking and trail running. It will need to accommodate a K-3 with grip, a Sigma 10-20, an SMC Pentax 80-210, a WR 18-55, a tripod, and a few filters. Any suggestions much appreciated. Particularly interested in systems folks have actually used and had success with.
I would ditch the grip for hikes and bring extra battery. Grip is only really useful for shooting long nonstop events. I would get some sort of sling pack with tripod straps, that you can bring around to your belly for quick access . Make sure it is a sling pack that has shoulder strap and waist strap that unhooks for sling access. I would bring your gear into local store to test.
I like my Roots sling Pack. A Lowepro slingshot 202 should work.

Last edited by Sliver-Surfer; 12-29-2014 at 08:43 PM.
12-29-2014, 09:09 PM   #3
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have been using a Thinktank Shapeshifter since March and find it a really useful and versatile backpack. A K3 with small prime or zoom attached fits into the top neoprene pocket, which makes it really accessible
12-30-2014, 06:21 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I use this...
Added a couple padded cells ...... http://m.ebay.com/itm/291157814278?nav=SEARCH
Works great !

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 12-30-2014 at 06:34 AM.
12-30-2014, 08:19 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by az1895 Quote
I use this...
Added a couple padded cells ...... Waterproof Alforja DSLR SLR Camera Shoulder Bag Backpack for Canon Nikon Sony | eBay
Works great !
That bag is a good & handy item. It's a copy of the Maxpedition "Fatboy Versipack". I actually just bought the OEM version as it is available in a left handed model.

If you want to carry more and not have it shift on your hip when you move around get the Maxpedition Mongo Versipack. NOTE: The "S" versions of the Versipacks are for lefties! I also just bought one of these.

if you are going for the weekend and/or need to carry a bunch of other stuff, get something like a 5.11 Rush backpack. I have a 5.11 3 Day Rush backpack and you can also load a hydration bladder in it.

All Maxpedition and 5.11 bags have molle, strap loops and Velcro that allow you to attach all sorts of other gear like tripods, hiking poles, etc. The 5.11 and Versipacks are extremely comfortable to wear. You also need padded inserts for camera gear though. I cannibalize old camera bags for the inserts and I have some Velcro strips that I purchased separately for this.
12-30-2014, 09:27 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I got this one, but i needed a backpack for extended weekend trips. If you only hike for a day this one might be overkill.

Rover Pro 45L AW Camera bags, backpacks and rolling cases

I like it allot.
12-30-2014, 09:44 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by az1895 Quote
I use this...
Added a couple padded cells ...... Waterproof Alforja DSLR SLR Camera Shoulder Bag Backpack for Canon Nikon Sony | eBay
Works great !
Looks cool, does it have tripod straps on it? I may get one if it does?

12-30-2014, 10:49 AM   #8

Original Poster
Keep those ideas comin' :-)

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Please keep those ideas coming :-) None of those quite meet my needs, though the Lowepro options come the closest. It really needs to be something that's comfortable for trail running. Agree about leaving the grip at home. Some of the best Lowepro options unfortunately either have just a webbing strap across the stomach (and high riding on the stomach at that), and carry the tripod only on the side...
12-30-2014, 11:07 AM   #9
Forum Member

Tamrac

Hi

I had little idea what I needed when I started building out the K3 kit.
I figured a metal case would be too cumbersome but one of the rather loose sacks or bags would not offer enough structural support for the delicate lenses.

As such, I decided upon a rucksack that appeared to have good padding and basic structural shape. I also wanted something that could 'grow' if necessary, The bag would need to hold two long lenses and at least two others with a TC. I also liked the idea of having a pocket to hold an iPAD safely that would open separately from everything else. The final possible, was to hold my as yet unpurchased Benro ... although in practice, it is rare I would go out with all because of the weight.

There were a few makes ... Tamrac was recommended by a shop I trusted ... and they had the add on pouch system. It was then just a case of choosing one big enough. I nearly went for the smaller size, but eventually chose the Tamrac 5586 Expedition 6x and got a single MAS Medium case which could either hold my Flash or my Panasonic SD700 camcorder.

I'm very happy with it. It actually now has 5 lens and the TC with the body. The only slight frustration is that if you remove a short lens and stick on a long one, you have to mess about with the Velcro and shift the lens around in order to put the camera back in the bag with the long lens on.

The Benro does fit fine with two of it's feet in the lower specifically designed pocket. The two front pockets hold batteries, pens etc. The main inside opening (not the separate ipad / laptop one) has two clear full width pockets that I just use to hold the filter boxes.

Paul.
12-30-2014, 11:50 AM   #10

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have got a Lowepro Flipside 400AW and the tripod strap is on the back. I must admit though that most of the time I carry the tripod separately in its bag.

Jeff
01-03-2015, 10:25 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sliver-Surfer Quote
Looks cool, does it have tripod straps on it? I may get one if it does?
Not really...it has loops. They call them "Banding straps" and are on the sides and bottom.
I usually just sling the tripod over everything else or carry it extended a lot.

Its tough finding a good DO IT ALL hiking setup.
The best for me is a regular pack with separate padded cells.
If you get into serious hiking stuff like I do , the padded cells and a couple waterproof bags are indespensible.
The first time I threw my pack down a 30' cliff into a pool below I knew that I better be waterproofed and padded up the wazoo !
Padded cells , waterproof bags , and small cases.......the only way to go !
Im a real cheapskate too....when I look at the expensive Pro packs all I see is another lens or body.....lol.
BTW...lots of less inexpensive day packs have snowboard pouches....works great for a tripod too !

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 01-03-2015 at 10:41 AM.