Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
12-30-2014, 11:41 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Memory card Settings

I am new to digital photography and while I am having fun taking pictures with my K3 I'm not beginning to be able to use all of the great features of this camera primarily out of ignorance. I find the manual to be very poor as a source of help. I have formatted two memory cards following the instructions in the manual and each time I select RAW DNG but my camera shows JPEG when I'm done. Is there any simple way to determine whether I'm actually taking RAW pictures without pressing fourteen buttons and entering a secret code?

My next challenge is to install the latest firmware 1.11 to my camera. The instructions say that "updates to the camera firmware" appears in the LCD monitor. Which monitor? I assume that its the one on the back of the camera but...

The real problem I have is with instruction 6. "Press the four way controller to select Start and press the OK button."
As I look at the four way controller I see four buttons. Will this become obvious so that there is no chance for confusion?

It is probably obvious that I am an analog man not a digital person. I'd pay plenty to take a course on the K3 from a human being in person but that isn't an option in the wilds of fly over land....

12-30-2014, 11:49 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

I don't have a K-3 but I have plenty of other Pentax cameras and they all work the same in this regard. To select RAW or RAW+ just press the Info button and make your selection there.
12-30-2014, 12:09 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
I don't have a K-3 but I have plenty of other Pentax cameras and they all work the same in this regard. To select RAW or RAW+ just press the Info button and make your selection there.

Thanks! That worked... now to decide on RAW or RAW+ to have a jpeg file as well. If I do that I wonder how quickly I'd fill up a 32gig card?
12-30-2014, 12:31 PM - 1 Like   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi
The message appears on the rear LCD as for the four way pad
Use the left and right buttons to select yes or no if I remember
Correctly you can select raw to one card and JPEG to the other card
Neil

12-30-2014, 12:34 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

I never use RAW+ always shooting just RAW.
If you view your files with FASTSTONE Image Viewer (for example), you will get the embedded JPG preview show first [by default] which is often good enough to save for posting on social networks and sending in emails. You can crop and do lots of other editing in Faststone as well. I use it all the time.
When I want to develop a good image properly, I'll use Lightroom.
12-30-2014, 12:50 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gtis Quote
Hi
The message appears on the rear LCD as for the four way pad
Use the left and right buttons to select yes or no if I remember
Correctly you can select raw to one card and JPEG to the other card
Neil

I assumed that it would be the rear screen but..... assumptions have cost me dearly many times! How hard would it have been for the writer of the manual to simply state "appears on the rear screen"? Maybe what I need is the "idiots guide to the K3".. ;-)

And thanks for the button info. I am paranoid about the warning for installation of the new software and losing power or some how failing to complete the installation and the resulting damage to the camera that requires the camera to be sent back to Ricoh for repairs... I may start with some Jack Daniels before starting the download... ;-)
12-30-2014, 01:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by woodywesty Quote
Maybe what I need is the "idiots guide to the K3".. ;-)
Nope. Just a little practice. Figure out one Pentax, and you'll understand them all.

12-30-2014, 02:05 PM - 1 Like   #8
Forum Member

Review: Pentax K-3 - Recommended Settings | PentaxForums.com Reviews
I found that handy, though I moved back to just RAW instead of RAW+. RAW+ didn't work as well with my post flow. Also, I just purchased a new UHS 90 mb/s card, as the k3 seems to be able to take advantage of the higher speeds. I'd look into that too.
12-30-2014, 02:28 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
Nope. Just a little practice. Figure out one Pentax, and you'll understand them all.
I suspect that you're right! I'll just keep plugging along... ;-)

---------- Post added 12-30-14 at 03:32 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mrbdm99 Quote
Review: Pentax K-3 - Recommended Settings | PentaxForums.com Reviews
I found that handy, though I moved back to just RAW instead of RAW+. RAW+ didn't work as well with my post flow. Also, I just purchased a new UHS 90 mb/s card, as the k3 seems to be able to take advantage of the higher speeds. I'd look into that too.

Thanks a bunch. How the heck did I miss that resource? Hidden in plain sight I guess. What a great Forum. I think that I'll just start with RAW and see how many pics a 32 gig card will hold...

12-30-2014, 05:17 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

how many pics a 32 gig card will hold...

12-30-2014, 05:30 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
That's really good to know. I've been wondering and now I can see that it would be possible to fill a card in a day which is hard to imaging for someone who thought shooting 4 rolls of 36 slide film a day was a big day.... ;-)

Thanks again!
12-30-2014, 05:38 PM   #12
Veteran Member

That's really good to know. I've been wondering and now I can see that it would be possible to fill a card in a day which is hard to imaging for someone who thought shooting 4 rolls of 36 slide film a day was a big day.... ;-)

Thanks again!
Ha! I only say 602 because I have two 16gb cards, and each one holds 301 photos.
12-30-2014, 08:39 PM   #13
Banned

Just cycle through the different options, the estimated amount for each card will show on the rear screen when you exit out of the menu.
12-30-2014, 10:28 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

... I find the manual to be very poor as a source of help....Which monitor? I assume that its the one on the back of the camera but...

Help me understand... When I open the Manual to the middle diagram on page 7 (English Version) "Names and Functions of the Working Parts", I find it identifies the location of the monitor. Also on page 97, the word "Monitor" points to page 9 as a place that describes the way it displays information. What am I missing?

Photography should be an enjoyable experience. The K-3 has a learning curve. A decision to dismiss the help offered by its Manual seems (to me, at least) an invitation to great disappointment and bitterness. Personally, I find my time spent with the Manual very worthwhile. It helps make using the K-3 plain ol' fun.

Just sayin' and Cheers... M
12-30-2014, 10:56 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I find the manual to be very poor as a source of help.
Perhaps this will help Pentax K-3 e-book