Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2015, 07:52 AM   #1

K3 permanently autofocusing

Hello guys!! Lets go to the problem:

I have my new K3 in my hands, and is always focusing. I have the AF in AFC, I dont halfpress the shutter button, I dont touch the AF botton, and the camera is like permanently hunting for focus.

At first I believed that it was because of the flucard and the remote focus function, but i detached it and set the wireless mode off. Then maybe was a problem with the AF button in the battery grip, but no.

I hope it is an AF priority setting problem since Im just learning this camera (much more complex than my old K30).

Cheers from Argentina. And remember that english is my 3rd language, lol.

01-05-2015, 08:20 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is your hand touching the shutter button on the battery grip? Some users have described this situation.
01-05-2015, 08:39 AM   #3

Check if the focus button is set to AF-C (Continuous focus mode).
01-05-2015, 09:28 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by godavari Quote
Check if the focus button is set to AF-C (Continuous focus mode).
I think it is but he is not pressing anything. I do not think that behavior is normal

01-05-2015, 09:32 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Are you in Live view?
01-05-2015, 10:15 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Mine seemed to do this too, but only with a Tamron lens - until I may have seen it with a Pentax lens too, last week, but not sure. Mine doesn't stay autofocusing though; it focuses once and then goes back to normal. Oh, and mine was even weirder b/c I had it in AF-S mode.
01-05-2015, 11:31 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
Is your hand touching the shutter button on the battery grip? Some users have described this situation.

Hmmm....gonna pay more attention, but if this is the solution, Ill have to make a thread asking how to recover my selfsteem, lol.

01-05-2015, 02:58 PM   #8

My K3 also did similarly

Hi, One of my K3s also did this. The only way to stop it was to remove the battery as even turning the main switch to 'off' had no effect. The importer sent the camera to Japan for repair.
Later, I found that if the battery grip switch was inadvertently left on and I was using the camera in landscape rather than vertical mode firing with the main button the camera would do some weird things with CAF. This was always remedied by turning off the grip control switch.
Since the camera went to Japan I have not had a recurrence of the original weird CAF despite the camera being switched off.
I now have a pair of K3s and the second body has not given the weird CAF probs that the first body went through. I don't use the #2 body with a grip and that seems to have made a difference in the behaviour of the camera.
Don.
01-05-2015, 09:08 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Donald Laing Quote
My K3 also did similarly
Welcome to the Pentax Forums and thanks a ton for adding your experience to this thread.

Steve