Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2015, 05:04 PM   #1
Veteran Member

question about raw+jpg on two cards

is there a way to lock the file #s on raw+jpg recording?

ie: if i reset everything to zero, and have slot 1 as raw and slot 2 as jpg. for each raw on slot 1 there will be a corresponding jpg with the same filename on slot 2. however if i delete a pic i just took because it's absolute garbage, it will only delete from the raw card and leave the jpg in place. so from that point forward my jpgs won't correspond to my raw files.

is there a simple way to keep these filenames locked to each other? so when i delete the raw it also deletes the jpg? i know the obvious is to reset the filenames and never delete in camera, but it's so much easier to do a quick review in camera and delete the junk before transferring. i was hoping i could load the jpgs from slot 2 and do a quick review, then grab the corresponding raw files on slot 1. it saves a ton on transfer time and also greatly limits memory usage on the PC.

thanks!

01-05-2015, 05:34 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wibbly Quote
ie: if i reset everything to zero, and have slot 1 as raw and slot 2 as jpg. for each raw on slot 1 there will be a corresponding jpg with the same filename on slot 2. however if i delete a pic i just took because it's absolute garbage, it will only delete from the raw card and leave the jpg in place. so from that point forward my jpgs won't correspond to my raw files.
That sounds counter-intuitive to me, but I guess I never tested it! When deleting a file shot in RAW+, though, the camera should give you the option to delete either the raw, the jpeg, or both. This might not apply to mass-deletion.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-05-2015, 05:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That's what I'm asking! It seems to only delete the raw file. I'd like it to delete both and retain the file number correspondence.
01-05-2015, 05:53 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you only delete in post, you have total control of this.

01-05-2015, 06:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
@ wibbly , there was a similar discussion in this thread. I was also trying to figure out if there is a chance to delete files form both cards simultaneously. It seems that there is no way. I guess it might require an update in firmware.
01-05-2015, 06:32 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Fair enough. I'll reset the count I guess.
01-06-2015, 12:04 AM - 1 Like   #7

Check your settings (K-3) and have the pic you just took display untill you tap the shutter button, that way if you don't like the pic you just hit the delete button and it deletes both raw and jpeg files together. It works because i do it just about every day ...... cheers

01-06-2015, 12:43 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you send the RAW and the jpeg to the same card the K-3 will allow the option to delete both at once. Maybe you have a specific reason to have them on separate cards though.
01-07-2015, 12:01 AM   #9

If you look at the card options on the K-3, it doesn't actually allow both file formats on the one card, thats one thing about the K-3 i don't like
01-07-2015, 02:23 AM   #10
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by TazmanDownunder Quote
If you look at the card options on the K-3, it doesn't actually allow both file formats on the one card, thats one thing about the K-3 i don't like
Set Memory card setting to Sequential use or Save on both and the File format to RAW+ and they will save on the same card or both cards.
01-07-2015, 06:03 AM   #11

When my card setting was set to Sequential, it was only saving Jpegs and no Raw files. After resetting my Camera to Default settings, it now saves Both Raw and Jpegs when card settings are set to Sequential. Well that's sorted and now if i don't want a file it deletes both files at the same time.
Thanks for the heads up Tjompen 1968