Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
01-06-2015, 10:00 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Aside from better overall performance, I really like the k-3 rear screen (bigger than k-5/IIs); although k-5IIs is already upgrade from k-5 with gap-less LED.

01-06-2015, 11:16 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Went from the K-01 to the K-3. Still enjoy my K-01s but the K-3 is definitely better and I love it even though I'm not really a DSLR guy. Shooting a Pentax in general makes me happy but the K-3 especially.
01-06-2015, 11:57 PM   #33
Veteran Member

I'm late to the party but I would not have upgraded to the K-3. I would have kept the K-5 and bought another lens instead. Unless your subjects move a lot, then the improved AF of the K-3 is helpful.
01-07-2015, 01:12 AM   #34

Different SDXC cards in different slots

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
I've had my K3 for a short time now, and I'm generally happy with it except for two minor issues:
1. Having different SD cards (capacity and/or brand) in the two slots seems to cause the camera to think that the card in the second slot is unformatted from time to time. Using identical cards seems to resolve the issue. This issue is related to the mode where the RAW file goes to SD1 and the JPG to SD2. Turning the camera off and on again resolves the issue, but doesn't prevent it from recurring.
I hope the camera does not format your photos??
I purchased some valuable SDXC cards on sale (last items in stock), so I have every card different size and/or brand (Polaroid 32GB, Sony 32GB & 64GB & 128GB, Lexar Pro 400x 64GB & 128GB). I went into 128GB to upgrade from K10D with saving RAW files.
So, as you say, switch-off and switch-on the camera in case of what you describe?

01-07-2015, 03:23 AM   #35
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Prakticant Quote
I hope the camera does not format your photos??
No, it just stops believing that they are there! Until I cycle the power.

QuoteQuote:
I purchased some valuable SDXC cards on sale (last items in stock), so I have every card different size and/or brand (Polaroid 32GB, Sony 32GB & 64GB & 128GB, Lexar Pro 400x 64GB & 128GB). I went into 128GB to upgrade from K10D with saving RAW files.
Wow, the largest card I have is only 32GB. I must be too conservative with the shutter release!

QuoteQuote:
So, as you say, switch-off and switch-on the camera in case of what you describe?
Yes, or don't use the mode where it writes RAW to SD1 and JPG to SD2. I suspect that there won't be a problem if you use other modes where it is only writing to one card eg fill SD1 first then SD2.
01-07-2015, 03:23 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Also check out the "How has the K-3 worked out for you?" thread where I posted this: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/271430-how-has-k3-worked-o...ml#post2922490

Regards,
--Anders.
01-07-2015, 03:40 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've been pretty satisfied. I haven't seen mirror flap issues, all of my lenses work the way they are supposed to, camera is more responsive and faster than the K5 II (despite larger image files), and flash works better with the K3 than with the K5 as well. The only negative I can see is that the files are bigger, but with the cost of storage, that isn't a big deal these days.

01-07-2015, 08:13 AM - 2 Likes   #38
Veteran Member

I have had my K-3 for about a year now. The more I use it, the more I appreciate it.

I compared shutter noise between the K-3 and Canon 70D. The K-3 is similar to the Canon's "Silent" mode.

When people complained that the K-3 auto-focus hunts in low light, I compared the K-3 to the Canon 70D and Nikon D7000. Side by side comparison (one camera in each hand), they all acted the same in similar conditions (my kitchen at 10:30 PM).

Side by side comparison of JPG files straight out of the camera, the Nikon D7000 won, but its menu system and controls made it the last camera I would grab if my house was on fire.

Pound for pound, the Canon 70D is lighter. It seemed flimsy and plasticky to me. Its articulating screen seemed delicate and in danger of getting knocked off. I was always nervous about taking it out of the house. My K-3 is like brass knuckles in comparison. I could knock someone's teeth out with it if I had to.

I have never been disappointed with the low light performance of my K-3. One of my favorite "tricks" is to take a 30 second exposure at night, then process in LR to get a golden-hour looking landscape just by adjusting a few sliders.

I have never had a mirror flap. I did have one lock-up with the original firmware while shooting long exposures on a nearly dead battery. I upgraded the firmware and bought two more batteries.

I take more photos with my K-50 than I do with my K-3, but that's because they're different tools for different jobs. 16MP is plenty for much of what I do. I have a split-screen in my K-50 for use with manual focus lenses, so it gets to be on the tripod for macro work. If I'm taking pictures under a broken bulldozer in a sand mine, I bring the $400 K-50. If I'm shooting anything artistic or which requires perfection, its my K-3 and the DA Limiteds. If its a walk-around event, its the K-3 and DA*50-135.

So I stand up for the K-3 and the K-50, plus the excellent line of Pentax lenses as well.
(I sold the Nikon and the Canon because I just didn't want them anymore.)
01-07-2015, 08:26 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by asp1880 Quote
How has the K3 worked out for you?
Asp1880. Thanks for the link to another good thread. Glad you like the K-3 despite a couple of issues.
01-07-2015, 10:01 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Im sure happy with mine ! I looked for all the problems I heard about and did find noise terrifying at first. However I set up my K3 with various settings ant it now blows me away !
I don't use it nearly as much as my K30.....but that is only because I either don't need it , or am saving it from abuse (very hard on bodies)....in other words saving it for special uses. Kinda like a Mint Jaguar or Porshe......keeping the mileage low !
01-07-2015, 10:26 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote

...snip...
I compared shutter noise between the K-3 and Canon 70D. The K-3 is similar to the Canon's "Silent" mode.
Hmm, wonder what is the deal with "silent" and "non-silent" mode in Canon models, any advantage (or reason) to use non-silent mode? Just curious..

---------- Post added 01-07-2015 at 12:29 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
So I stand up for the K-3 and the K-50, plus the excellent line of Pentax lenses as well.
(I sold the Nikon and the Canon because I just didn't want them anymore.)
Good job!!

---------- Post added 01-07-2015 at 12:33 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by az1895 Quote
Im sure happy with mine ! I looked for all the problems I heard about and did find noise terrifying at first. However I set up my K3 with various settings ant it now blows me away !
I don't use it nearly as much as my K30.....but that is only because I either don't need it , or am saving it from abuse (very hard on bodies)....in other words saving it for special uses. Kinda like a Mint Jaguar or Porshe......keeping the mileage low !
So you are saving your k-3 for higher resale value once it gets into its "antique" years?
01-07-2015, 10:38 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Its great to hear all the positive impressions of the K-3. I would comment more but I'm too busy playing with my new K-3
01-08-2015, 02:47 PM   #43

Photos: Gallery
I love my k3. It feels like it was shaped after my hand. Feels incredibly sturdy. I've bought some old lenses, and they work like a charm.

I always get surprised by how nice the images look, even high iso look fantastic.

I must admit when I first got it, I struggled to get really sharp images. This seems to have been resolved, by keep shooting with it.

I haven't noticed a single issue with mine so far, I've used several sd cards in both slots with no issues at all.

And image processing is so quick!

I couldn't be happier!
01-08-2015, 02:54 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Hmm, wonder what is the deal with "silent" and "non-silent" mode in Canon models, any advantage (or reason) to use non-silent mode? Just curious..
The Canon 70D shutter sounded to me (KerPlak!) like an old manual typewriter. At 7.1 FPS in HS mode, it soulds like the entire secretarial pool after their espresso break. In "Silent" mode it is less "klacky", but it only gets around 4 or 5 frames per second if I recall correctly. I only tried it once. I'm sure the "Silent" mode appeals to wedding and funeral photographers.
01-08-2015, 06:07 PM   #45

K3 is welt built and great quality!