Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2015, 03:25 AM   #1
Forum Member

Internal Image Processing on RAW?

Looking at the features of the Nikon D750, I notice that it has a special low contrast profile to capture a wide dynamic range designed for people who like to post process. As I am someone who does a lot of tweaking in PP, is this something that can be done with the K3? There are a lot of tweaks that can be done to the shadows, highlights, contrast etc but do these only apply to JPEGs or do the affect the RAW file as well?

I'm not in the position to check myself at the moment as I will be away from my computer for a week.

01-08-2015, 04:19 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I personally have never worked with either camera, however, on the K-5 (which may be similar to the K-3) I simply set up a user profile for HDR taking photos at -1ev 0ev and +1ev

I imagine the K-3 has a similar ability, and you can tweak the EV steps to get the result you want. I think you can go more than 3 steppes too. If I remember correctly the K-5 may be able to do 5ev steppes for HDR, not sure though. The K-3 probably has a pretty similar function. Not sure if that helps or not. Someone else may be able to answer better than I.
01-08-2015, 04:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am not sure what that Nikon camera does, exactly.Pentax already has a Highlight correction function. Some camera brands (Fuji?) tried adding various functions, but I don't think they worked out that well in practice. The Canon hack thingy (CHDK? Magic Lantern?) also has an option to use different ISO in different parts of the sensor, making a single photo with lower resolution but higher DR. I don't know how well these things work out in practice, they might be interesting, but I don't think they are achievable on current Pentax cameras. That being said, the DR of raw files is already competitive, the K-5 was class leading, and I think the K-3 is the best current crop sensor DSLR. If you shoot raw and make sure you don't clip the highlights, you should be able to recover details very well.

I suggest you look into ETTR method - exposing to the right. It promises to give the most DR, but it might have some drawbacks.
01-08-2015, 06:24 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The Nikon "flat" picture style is intended for video recording, where you "grade" (video speak for post processing) the footage after capture. You can't record RAW video, all video recording is "jpeg processed" in some sense of the word (I'm not an expert here).

In your case, shooting stills and doing heavy post work, just use RAW.

I suppose if you want to do heavy post processing on JPEGs (if that's what you want, I can't tell from your OP), you could set up a Pentax custom image with contrast -4, some negative saturation and shadow correction on 3. IMHO you're better off trying to get the JPEG as right as possible in camera instead, if you want to stay with JPEG.

Regards,
--Anders.

01-08-2015, 10:45 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies, everyone.

I've tried HDR and it works quite well as long as there are no moving elements in the picture but sometimes there are and in these cases the most has to be extracted from a single exposure.

I'm sorry I wasn't clear earlier but I'm a RAW shooter only and I just wanted to know if the picture profiles (such as Vivid, Natural, etc) are applied to RAW files or only to JPEGs
01-08-2015, 11:29 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by auricle Quote
I just wanted to know if the picture profiles (such as Vivid, Natural, etc) are applied to RAW files or only to JPEGs
JPEG only.
The RAW preview is a JPEG though.
01-08-2015, 11:34 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks Steve.

01-14-2015, 01:15 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bcrary3 Quote
I personally have never worked with either camera, however, on the K-5 (which may be similar to the K-3) I simply set up a user profile for HDR taking photos at -1ev 0ev and +1ev

I imagine the K-3 has a similar ability, and you can tweak the EV steps to get the result you want. I think you can go more than 3 steppes too. If I remember correctly the K-5 may be able to do 5ev steppes for HDR, not sure though. The K-3 probably has a pretty similar function. Not sure if that helps or not. Someone else may be able to answer better than I.
Both the K-3 and K-5 can do 5EV step brackets. E.g. -2, -1, 0, +1, +2

Last edited by cbope; 01-14-2015 at 01:16 PM. Reason: clarification
01-27-2015, 11:18 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cbope Quote
Both the K-3 and K-5 can do 5EV step brackets. E.g. -2, -1, 0, +1, +2
You're right, it is 5, I haven't used it for so long I don't even remember! Haha, thank you for the correction.