Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
01-14-2015, 08:40 AM   #1

Custom image settings in RAW

Hi everyone,

A quick question. Do the custom image settings, that is these

apply to the RAW files or they work only with JPG?

01-14-2015, 09:23 AM - 1 Like   #2

I believe they apply to JPG.
01-14-2015, 09:30 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hi! As far as I know these settings are for in camera JPG files, RAW file remains untouched.

Although if you use PEF (I don't know if this works with DNG) - then the Pentax Digital Camera utility opens the raw file honoring these settings - so you will see what you have set up in the camera. Of course, the original raw file is still there, you can revert to the untouched state - the PEF file just carries the instructions how it should be displayed in the camera utility program - based on the settings from the camera.

I don't know how it works with the current cameras, and softwares (probably the same?) as I'm not using the Pentax DCU since a long time - but this was the case with the K10D and K20D and corresponding Pentax software. (Today I use K-5II and Silkypix DSP 6 - I don't even know what software is included on the original Pentax CD-s ...)
01-14-2015, 09:35 AM - 1 Like   #4
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

What Caver says. The raw files are not in themselves influenced by those settings, but the Pentax software will develop the raw files honoring the settings - as a starting point.

Other software will ignore these settings completely.

01-14-2015, 10:08 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for your replies. I'm using Silkypix DSP5 on DNG files and i see that the color settings are crossed out leaving only black and white. So I was wondering if those custom settings work with the DNGs...
QuoteOriginally posted by Caver Quote
Today I use K-5II and Silkypix DSP 6
What are the differences between 5 and 6 versions?
01-14-2015, 11:49 AM - 1 Like   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Odisseus Quote
Hi everyone,

A quick question. Do the custom image settings, that is these

apply to the RAW files or they work only with JPG?
Only JPEGs. You can apply them retroactively when developing your raws in the Pentax desktop software, however.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-14-2015, 12:43 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Thanks for your replies. I'm using Silkypix DSP5 on DNG files and i see that the color settings are crossed out leaving only black and white. So I was wondering if those custom settings work with the DNGs...
Nope, Silkypix behaves differently from Pentax DCU no matter if you have PEF's or DNG's
Otherwise I like everything about Silkypix. If you want you can always save your custom "taste" - perhaps not matching exactly with those you can set from the camera, but you can get close...

What are the differences between 5 and 6 versions?
SP DSP6 is faster - at least for me (64 bit WIN7, 16GB RAM, system and softwares running from SSD), has a slightly modified UI, and it has a few new things.
Here you can find all changes/extras:
New Functions --- SILKYPIX Developer Studio Pro6 Special Site

Here is the european distributor site: Silkypix | Silkypix
Worth contacting them and ask for an upgrade price

01-16-2015, 09:45 AM   #8

Original Poster
Actually I never used the Pentax software... I started with Silkypix and the way it woks satisfies me.
QuoteOriginally posted by Caver Quote
SP DSP6 is faster
That was my main concern. My hardware is the same, but it is noticably hard for Silkypix to chew these big files. I've read the presentation of the new version, but it is better to hear from someone who uses it. So can you say if v.6 is better in performance or output? Is it worth upgrading from v.5?
01-16-2015, 10:12 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Actually I never used the Pentax software... I started with Silkypix and the way it woks satisfies me.

That was my main concern. My hardware is the same, but it is noticably hard for Silkypix to chew these big files. I've read the presentation of the new version, but it is better to hear from someone who uses it. So can you say if v.6 is better in performance or output? Is it worth upgrading from v.5?
In my opinion yes, it worth upgrading just for the extra functions on their own, and yes, it is faster. I would say it is10-20% faster, for casual operations. At least this was my finding with my old PEF's from my trusty old K20D and from the DNG's ot the K-01. If you have higher megapixel cameras with larger raw files it will be probably slower :/
I suggest you to download the trial version (yes, you can have both the v5 and v6 installed in the same time) and try it!
-------------edtit-------------
I'm far from saying "I've been using the pentax software for long time..."
No, I just had it installed for a while and used it - it can deliver nice results - but I never liked it regarding the user experience and speed.

Last edited by Caver; 01-16-2015 at 10:17 AM. Reason: + information
08-23-2015, 08:14 PM   #10

Unknowingly I set the "Custom Image" to "Bleach Bypass". At first I thought that this had affected the files that had been taken with this setting, and that I would have to rework a bunch of those files, but it seems that Custom Image doesn't affect an image past the preview, at least working with Adobe apps. Here is a screen shot of the file opened in Camera Raw, with the "Bleach Bypass" affected preview in Bridge behind it.
Attached Images

08-25-2015, 11:06 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tighelander Quote
Unknowingly I set the "Custom Image" to "Bleach Bypass". At first I thought that this had affected the files that had been taken with this setting, and that I would have to rework a bunch of those files, but it seems that Custom Image doesn't affect an image past the preview, at least working with Adobe apps. Here is a screen shot of the file opened in Camera Raw, with the "Bleach Bypass" affected preview in Bridge behind it.
That is true. When shooting RAW, the camera JPEG settings will affect the rear LCD display and embedded preview JPEGs, but the RAW capture reflects the image processor base output. Note that most RAW converters will apply the capture white balance setting as a courtesy. Note also that the Pentax software that shipped with the camera may automatically apply the custom image settings on import.

Steve