Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2015, 07:10 AM   #1

Lens Compatability

Hello,
This is my first question to the forum.
I was wondering if my old Tamron Lens (For Pentax K.M.) CF Tele Macro 3.8 80-210MM which I purchased in the 1990s for my Pentax MX 35mm, would fit safely on to my new Pentax K3. I realise that it will not work in Auto Focus mode but do not wish to cause damage to either the lens or camera. Also would the standard original Pentax f1.7 - 50MM lens be in any way compatible?
Thanking you in anticipation.
V.A.

01-15-2015, 07:20 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With a few minor exceptions, ALL Pentax lenses will work on the k-3. Within the bounds of their original capability. In other words if the lens is all manual then it does not suddenly acquire auto-focus.

In addition most third party lenses made for k-mount will also work in the same way. Be careful of anything marked "KR", "K-R" or similar because those lenses were made to fit Ricoh cameras and MAY have an extra pin that causes problems. There are also some lenses made with an extra large aperture lever guard that will not fit without modification.

Both of the ones mentioned should be fine.
01-15-2015, 07:21 AM   #3
Unregistered User

As long as it has a k-mount it will work and if it is a AF-lens the AF should work. There are some converters that should only be used with certain lenses but apart from that I do not think there are any lenses that can cause damage. Well, as stated above there might be some need for caution.

For older lenses there are a few threads arround if you search. Here is one of many; https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/285496-k-3-lens-compatability.html
01-15-2015, 07:29 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The two lenses You mentioned will not cause You any trouble, but they are not as comfortable to use - especially the zoom lens (at least if You use SR). Shake reduction with manual lenses namely works prompting You for the focal length of the lens when the camera is switched on. If You zoom afterwards, You have to correct this prompted value, which means to switch the camera off an then on again.
With my old 60-300mm zoom I have the same issue and decided to give it away and get the Pentax 55-300mm lens.

The good news is: You can try everything out and decide what is ok for You.

01-15-2015, 07:32 AM   #5
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by forest_bear59 Quote
The two lenses You mentioned will not cause You any trouble, but they are not as comfortable to use - especially the zoom lens. Shake reduction with manual lenses namely works prompting You for the focal length of the lens when the camera is switched on. If You zoom afterwards, You have to correct this prompted value, which means to switch the camera off an then on again.
With my old 60-300mm zoom I have the same issue and decided to give it away and get the Pentax 55-300mm lens.

To clarify there is no need to turn off if you do not want to, you can edit it in the menu but often faster just to turn off and on.
01-15-2015, 07:50 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If You zoom afterwards, You have to correct this prompted value, which means to switch the camera off an then on again.
You do not have to turn the camera off to change the SR value. But it does mean diving into the menus. You can change the focal length in menu 4. At least that is where it is on the K-5. No idea about the K-3.
01-15-2015, 08:11 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vic's Assistant Quote
Hello,
This is my first question to the forum.
I was wondering if my old Tamron Lens (For Pentax K.M.) CF Tele Macro 3.8 80-210MM which I purchased in the 1990s for my Pentax MX 35mm, would fit safely on to my new Pentax K3. I realise that it will not work in Auto Focus mode but do not wish to cause damage to either the lens or camera. Also would the standard original Pentax f1.7 - 50MM lens be in any way compatible?
Thanking you in anticipation.
V.A.
See page 81 of the Pentax K-3 Operator's Manual.

01-15-2015, 09:06 AM   #8
Veteran Member

The two lenses You mentioned will not cause You any trouble, but they are not as comfortable to use - especially the zoom lens (at least if You use SR). Shake reduction with manual lenses namely works prompting You for the focal length of the lens when the camera is switched on. If You zoom afterwards, You have to correct this prompted value, which means to switch the camera off an then on again.

If you input the longest focal length of a zoom for SR, it works pretty well throughout the zoom range. Perhaps not as good as setting the precise focal length, but in my experience it is good enough.
01-16-2015, 02:14 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thank You

Many thanks indeed to all who replied to this request. The comprehensive advice and knowledge is most gratifying. This is a very good forum and I am very pleased to have signed up to it.