Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2015, 12:19 PM   #1

Pentax K3 Manual Lens (Pentax-M) and Green Button

Hi! I'm owner of some Pentax film cameras: Pentax MX, Pentax ME Super and Pentax P30. A recently purchased the Pentax K3, my first DSLR and my start with digital photo. Because I'm owner of film cameras I have some manual lens, Pentax-M Series. I know that in Pentax is possible to use all lens from film era with digital cameras. I always use the M Mode. I would like take the control.
I read the manual, and I set the: "Use Aperture Ring"to "Permited" in Custom Setting Page 4, but I still found a issue: the photometer / light meter appear do not works.

Looking for a solution I found in Internet with help of our frind Google, the need to use the Green Button, another button that the manual does not explains very well your function, operation and use. Apparently the green button take the correct exposure and configure the camera. At the first time, the Green Button for me is not very confortable, I will prefer to use the classic shutter button halfway. Looking for an alternative I found that is possible to use a old school with the "Preview Dial". If the Main switch isset to Preview Dial, then is possible to change the Aperture Value using the Aperture Ring from Lens and the Shutter Speed using the Front e-dial, and the photometer / Light Meter is working to adjust like old school.

In my search for how I can use the Manual Lens in the Pentax K3 and how is possible to use the light meter / photometer I found that is need it to configure the Green Button from PLINE to TV Shift on Camera Options Page 5 --> E-dial Programming. This configuration I do not understand. I would like to undertand that the things do, I do not like copy & paste. Can anyone help to undertand it?

• Why is need to change this setting, TV Shift, for the Green Button?
  • What it do?
  • Is need it for all Pentax Manual lens Series? only for Pentax-M or Pentax-A or Screw Mount (M42)?
I think that change afect to when use the non manual lens if I want to use the Green Button. Its correct? What is the impact?
Exist somewhere explain very well the funtion, how to use or operation of the Green Button.
Thanks in advance!

01-15-2015, 12:30 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by elrengo Quote
In my search for how I can use the Manual Lens in the Pentax K3 and how is possible to use the light meter / photometer I found that is need it to configure the Green Button from PLINE to TV Shift on Camera Options Page 5 --> E-dial Programming. This configuration I do not understand. I would like to undertand that the things do, I do not like copy & paste. Can anyone help to undertand it?
You only need to do this on select camera models (K-50, K-30, K-S1, K-01, K-500) in order to be able to meter properly with manual lenses and I do not believe the K-3 is one of them.

When using automatic lenses, the "Tv shift" option makes it so that the green button only changes the shutter speed when pressed, rather than changing both the shutter speed and aperture as it does by default. The net result is the same: the exposure should be correct after your press the button.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-15-2015, 12:45 PM   #3
Unregistered User

Here get some help how to do. There are also more threads and info here on the forum on how to use legacy lenses.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/285496-k-3-lens-compatability.html
01-15-2015, 01:37 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You only need to do this on select camera models (K-50, K-30, K-S1, K-01, K-500) in order to be able to meter properly with manual lenses and I do not believe the K-3 is one of them.

When using automatic lenses, the "Tv shift" option makes it so that the green button only changes the shutter speed when pressed, rather than changing both the shutter speed and aperture as it does by default. The net result is the same: the exposure should be correct after your press the button.
For automatic lenes you are doing reference to Pentax-A? Configure TV Shift to Green Button is not necesary for Pentax-M?

01-15-2015, 01:41 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Configure TV Shift to Green Button is not necesary for Pentax-M?
Not on the K-3.

For automatic lenes you are doing reference to Pentax-A?
Yes, and all newer lens series.

If you give this article a thorough read you should understand everything from start to finish
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-me...k-x-k-7-a.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-15-2015, 03:12 PM   #6
Unregistered User

Hi Adam. You write in the guide:

"Measure the light by either pressing the "Green Button", or pushing your power button to DOF preview mode (only available on high-end bodies). Your camera will automatically set the shutter speed for you."

Green button works as expected but the DOF does not change the shutter speed, only stops down and shows me how much under or over exposure I am at.

Am I missing something?

I am using a manual Chinon 50mm with aperture lever...
01-15-2015, 07:02 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam:
Not on the K-3.
Yes, and all newer lens series.

If you give this article a thorough read you should understand everything from start to finish
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-me...k-x-k-7-a.html
Thanks! Your post was very clear. I undertand now.

The issue was a lot information provide by Internet or Google. For that I think that the K3 operation manual is not very clear and with missing of information and Ricoh must to improve.
In google appear videos and articles that configure TV Shift with K5, K3 and other models. When appear that high-end cameras that is not necessary.
And is more clear the use of Green Button.
Thanks Adam.

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968:

"Measure the light by either pressing the "Green Button", or pushing your power button to DOF preview mode (only available on high-end bodies). Your camera will automatically set the shutter speed for you."

Green button works as expected but the DOF does not change the shutter speed, only stops down and shows me how much under or over exposure I am at.

Am I missing something?

I am using a manual Chinon 50mm with aperture lever...
I read and I found the same observation, and I have the same behavior with Preview Mode that you mention. But the behaivor about the auto shutter speed is real for Green Button not for Preview Mode where is the old school where you can see the traditional bar graph exposure meter for you to adjust exposure using the Aperture Ring from the lens and the Front e-dial.

01-17-2015, 04:33 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote

I've never used the preview lever with my manual lenses like this, but I think there is some misinformation there. I believe using the preview lever WILL allow you to meter at the aperture set on the lens, but I don't believe it will actually set the shutter speed for you like the green button does. Hopefully someone can confirm this, I'm being too lazy to pull out my K-3 and mount one of my manual lenses to test it...

---------- Post added 01-17-15 at 01:34 PM ----------

Edit: Now I see it appears the previous poster answered the question about the preview lever... as I suspected. Carry on...