Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
01-16-2015, 04:24 PM - 4 Likes   #1

New K-3 owner early experiences ...

OK, so I've owned a K-x, K-r and most recently a K-30. So I decided to upgrade to the K-3 after the recent price drops. So I sold my K-30 and within days received the K-3 just about two weeks ago. Initially it was a daunting task to work through things as the manual is minimal with very little explanation of the advanced settings and functions and how things work together. But hey, that's what forums like this are for ... right?

My initial efforts were disappointing. I got almost nothing in good focus. I was trying with my favorite subject, my two dogs playing in the park. They chase and wrestle at a rapid pace so that is a challenge. But I had very little trouble getting great shots with my old K-30 running it in Auto mode. I got so used to just doing that I didn't bother to learn much more about my camera and how to use it. So now I'm here with a camera that ups the ante in terms of performance but obviously requires a bit more effort and knowledge to get the best results. So I read through the threads where other people were reporting similar difficulties and used some of the suggestions that were offered in the threads.

Well, over the course of the last 48 hours I've managed to surpass the results I was getting with my K-30. But I had to know what the heck I was doing to, had to start thinking like a photographer, had to be more involved with the process to get the most out of my K-3. I'm convinced as I learn more I can get even better results. But it is all now coming together. The bottom line is I was lazy before because letting the camera do the work was giving me what I wanted. But I also now realize that I probably wasn't getting the best that the K-30 had to offer when I used it as an overgrown point and shoot. But with my new orientation about the shooting experience and simply getting to know my camera by using it my success rate is rising and I'm already getting more keeper shots than I did when I let the camera make all the decisions. And I'm enjoying shooting much, much more. So in the end I just had to let myself make lots of mistakes to begin to learn what works and what doesn't. That process is greatly aided by this forum and I sincerely thank all of you more experienced photographers out there who are being patient and answering the questions of those of us who running hard to catch up.

My words to anyone who is disappointed in their K-3 would be to just keep poking around and making mistakes and asking questions. Anyway, that's what I'm going to do.

01-16-2015, 06:38 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GrisGrisMan Quote
The bottom line is I was lazy before because letting the camera do the work was giving me what I wanted.
It seems that you sum it up quite nicely with that very simple "bottom line" !

Cheers!
01-16-2015, 08:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Same here....I was flat out aggravated beyond words.
Lucky I have a friend that is a Pro....he straightened me out Pronto !
I love everything about my K3....but it didn't come overnight......It makes me work for it and actually think !
01-17-2015, 03:18 AM   #4
Banned

A great post, reminds me of when I went through the same experience with my brand new K-10. And also reminds me what a great journey of discovery photography is.

01-17-2015, 05:50 PM - 1 Like   #5

Original Poster
Follow up after additional shooting today ...

I got to shoot some at an abandoned housing project that hosted some rather amazing graffiti. I'm going to post some of those shots later but in the context of this thread I'm happy to report I went in, analyzed what would work well, set my camera accordingly and with my 18-135 zoom got some great shots, totally crystal clear and very sharp. Out of 126 shots I only had one that was not a keeper. This is a really cool feeling, beginning to know my camera and beginning to be able to use it as a creative tool instead of being more or less passive in the process. Very psyched about getting out and shooting, more than I've ever been.
01-17-2015, 11:38 PM   #6
Veteran Member

To me....shooting any camera with a specific purpose is a holy experience.
If I know what Im after.....arrive early , setup , select my lens , preview for focus and sharpness.......and then set down and wait for the light...while I envision exact composition and shots.
Might have some tea.....and talk with strangers....just relaxing and get goosebumps knowing the "Magic" is going to happen.
I get in this "Zone"......its like a creative Zen.......Everything just starts happening and the creative juices start flowing.......the hidden creative ability awakens and everything turns to gold.
Its a letdown when its over......but then upon viewing my files.....the Goosebumps and tears of amazment start flowing.......I then silently thank God for the magic just created........and then feel the satisfied contentment and satisfaction once again...while the tears and goosebumps fade.
The K3 has a way of magnifying the last set of tears and goosebumps........its simply amazing !

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 01-17-2015 at 11:45 PM.
01-18-2015, 12:49 AM   #7
Pentaxian

When I bought the K-5 I found to my dismay that it took the exact shot that I told it to. The K-3 even more. When I started living up to what it demanded, amazing things started showing up. Very satisfying.