Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-24-2015, 01:55 PM   #16
Forum Member

Instead of using "Apply All" and upsetting all your other lenses just use live view zoomed with focus peaking if using a tripod. That will always ensure the sharpest focus directly on the sensor. If you want to use Catch in Focus I would suggest a good quality fast AF lens.

With hand held shots I quite often use an older Sigma 28-70 f2.8 in manual focus mode and use my eyes to determine sharp focus. Sometimes it is different to where the green hexagon indicator suggests so I ignore it but it is always sharp when eyeballing it even without a split screen viewfinder. That's how the old film cameras worked with great success. We rely on the camera automation just a little too much these days.

01-25-2015, 06:17 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jhmos Quote
Yes, thats right, "AF Fine Adjustment" "Apply All" does work for manual lenses and can be used via the green hexagon signal. In addition, its useful for Catch in Focus (as long as AF button customization is set to AF1). For my Samyang 85mm F1.4 lens, the available adjustment isn't quite enough though.

John.
OK....this is what I was wondering. Thanks

---------- Post added 01-26-15 at 09:22 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Flasher Quote
Instead of using "Apply All" and upsetting all your other lenses just use live view zoomed with focus peaking if using a tripod. That will always ensure the sharpest focus directly on the sensor. If you want to use Catch in Focus I would suggest a good quality fast AF lens.

With hand held shots I quite often use an older Sigma 28-70 f2.8 in manual focus mode and use my eyes to determine sharp focus. Sometimes it is different to where the green hexagon indicator suggests so I ignore it but it is always sharp when eyeballing it even without a split screen viewfinder. That's how the old film cameras worked with great success. We rely on the camera automation just a little too much these days.
Actually....I have no other lenses to upset. For me setting a "Apply All" setting is no big deal. I shoot about 99% manual lenses so Im used to it. The confusion started to come about with Manual lenses and "AF Fine" adjustment setting. The apply all does work for manual lenses, But nothing can be pre-set. Just a mental note on each lens and an appropriate setting when switching lenses. It is a bit confusing but slowly coming together.