Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
01-25-2015, 03:04 AM   #1

Pentax K-3 green line bug/defect?

Hey everyone,
I got my new K-3 about 2 weeks ago and have been trying it out for a couple of days now. Love the feel of the camera (I had a k-30 before), however, it seems that I may have had the bad luck of buying one with a broken sensor.
When I take a couple of shots, and as the camera heats up, a vertical thin green line appears in the left center of the image. The line will get thicker and more pronounced over time. This is of course a huge deal and two sessions have already been ruined (the line is very subtle at first). I haven't been able to find any info on this online, other than that there might have once been a similar issue with the k-7. I just hope the sensor isn't broken.
Does anyone know what I am talking about? Any thoughts or advice?
(I uploaded a screenshot of one of the images -- I couldn't upload the RAW file, due to size.)

Attached Images

01-25-2015, 03:46 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Was it new?

Return it quick I'd say, don't muck around.
01-25-2015, 04:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I second those who suggest you return it immediately.

It should not be too difficult to fix it in PP, if you shot the events RAW, that is.
In jpeg the line should take at least three pixels, not one, due to interpolation.
01-25-2015, 04:24 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's a problem that appeared already on the K-7.
Return it.

01-25-2015, 04:39 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for responding so quickly everyone. I think that's sound advice. The only problem is that I bought it in on a trip to Japan, and I am now in Europe. So returning it will be somewhat of a hassle. It is new, so I was thinking maybe I could get it repaired here via the warranty?

---------- Post added 01-25-15 at 01:00 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RuiC Quote
Return it.
Thanks for responding! I have seen forum posts about this being an issue with the K-7. Apparently a firmware update was able to resolve it there, at least from what I can tell based on the information I found online. My K3 is updated to the newest firmware though -- so there goes that hope, I guess. I wonder if it's the same basic problem though. My K-30 also already had issues, which is why i decided to upgrade. Not happy about this =(
01-25-2015, 05:08 AM   #6
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Did you do the pixel allignment in the camera? Maybe it can help, otherwise returning it would be the best way.
01-25-2015, 05:39 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Did you do the pixel allignment in the camera? Maybe it can help, otherwise returning it would be the best way.
Hi! Thanks for the reply. By pixel alignment, do you mean the option for pixel mapping?
And perhaps just as additional info: the green line shows up in all formats, JPG, RAW (DNG and PEF) so I don't think its a question of conversion or anything.

01-25-2015, 06:21 AM   #8

I know somebody who had a similar green line, but that appeared after shooting some laser show.
01-25-2015, 07:58 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

are you sure it is not the SD card?
01-25-2015, 09:53 AM   #10
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by cuajada Quote
Hi! Thanks for the reply. By pixel alignment, do you mean the option for pixel mapping?
And perhaps just as additional info: the green line shows up in all formats, JPG, RAW (DNG and PEF) so I don't think its a question of conversion or anything.
QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
I think both to test. Do the alignment and test another card. When nothing changes, returning is your only option.
01-25-2015, 11:12 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
Hi. Thanks for replying. I just tested a different card (different brand, different size etc.), problem was still there unfortunately
01-25-2015, 11:28 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mm, that's unfortunate. I hope you find an easy fix!
01-25-2015, 04:00 PM   #13
Veteran Member

After about one year or use, I had a similar green line appear on the bottom of images from a Fuji point-and-shoot I once had many years ago. The sensor had to be replaced. Warranty repair time.

It seems a very rare defect nowadays on Pentax, or anywhere else for that matter. Sony sensor QC seems pretty good.
01-25-2015, 06:47 PM   #14
Veteran Member

There is NO way around this.....RETURN it !
01-25-2015, 06:53 PM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RuiC Quote
Return it.
I have one of those K7's. A firmware update fixed it and it hasn't been an issue since.

If you've updated firmware and confirmed the SD card is not the problem, your only option is to return it.