Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
01-30-2015, 05:53 PM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Albums
K-3 Durability Test

I stumbled across this video of these guys chucking their K3 around. That weather sealing!

01-30-2015, 07:05 PM   #2
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stoogie Quote
I stumbled across this video of these guys chucking their K3 around. That weather sealing!

Pentax K-3 - Обзор Всепогодной Неубиваемой Зеркальной Камеры на Kaddr.com - YouTube
Haha, it gives a little confidence for use in rough conditions, but it's just 6 min video, would be interesting to know about some who have longer experience of this kind....
01-30-2015, 07:19 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
I try to avoid just 'chucking' my cameras around, but I've rolled burning man for two years now with pentax cameras. First time around was with a K-7 and K5-iis, second time with with the same K5 and a K3. First time with with the 18-55 WR and 50-200 WRs (dont take the lenses off the camers ofc!), second time with DA* 16-50 and DA* 50-135. Both combinations have held up well, and the K-5 has been a trooper for the last two years. If you check out some of Heie's older posts and stuff, you'll also see he has used the Pentax in rather extreme situations.

For the record, thats 3 weeks in desert dust alkaline for me across two years. The K-5 has held up fine, and the K3 has too so far! In those situations I just use the WR lens, with a front filter to protect the glass, and thats it My cleaning process is also the same as in this video, but with a toothbrush also to make sure I brush out the sand from all the cracks and crevasses before I take off any filters or lenses.
01-31-2015, 12:49 AM - 3 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

Bloody idiotic if you ask me.
And that lens was full of condensation after he washed off the mud and sand.
Proves nothing to me other than there are damned idiots on YouTube with no respect for fine gear....

01-31-2015, 10:46 AM   #5
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

A tiny bit over the top, eh?

I'll do rain with mine, but I'm not going to test its impact resistance.
01-31-2015, 11:07 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

That's not a valid test until he puts the camera on the train tracks. Everyone knows that.....Geesh...
02-01-2015, 08:38 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Bloody idiotic if you ask me.
And that lens was full of condensation after he washed off the mud and sand.
Proves nothing to me other than there are damned idiots on YouTube with no respect for fine gear....
+1 on that ! But then again what "OTHER" camera can take anything even close. Just another Moron !

02-03-2015, 07:04 AM   #8
Veteran Member

The camera and lens are WR not IP rated and therefore not designed to withstand pressure water in any way ....... ergo running under a tap is a quick way of defeating the seals (high risk)
02-03-2015, 02:07 PM   #9

Original Poster
I'm in no way suggesting that anyone else does this, and I'd obviously never do it myself, but I wouldn't say this is any more or less stupid than what Digital Rev did to the Canon 7D. It's good to see though what kinds of situations the camera can handle, in that if it survives being thrown into a pile of mud, dropped in a puddle, rolled in a sandbox, and rinsed off under a tap it will probably do just fine if I take it out in the rain. It's hard to determine the limitations of a system if you never exceed them.
02-03-2015, 02:15 PM   #10
Unregistered User

That was hardly a durability test. This is a durability test:

<www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBB-CvqjdCE>
02-03-2015, 02:27 PM   #11

I've seen pictures of k3s covered in ice/snow, stories of people shooting in conditions way way below -10 Celsius. More in the region of -40.

Lots of videos of intense rain with the camera left outside.

Have any of you done this before?

Also what are your cleaning/drying processes?
02-03-2015, 07:08 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CNunez Quote
I've seen pictures of k3s covered in ice/snow, stories of people shooting in conditions way way below -10 Celsius. More in the region of -40.

My first K-3 shoot was in approximately -25C with a significant windchill. When I was done I put the camera into a sealed plastic bag, brought it into the house and let it warm up before taking it out. Not sure if it was needed but I was being cautious with my new toy.

Side note, my K-x was ''caffeinated'' once when, as it was hanging on my neck, the lid of a cup of coffee I was drinking opened up and spilled coffee onto the camera and my lap. I put it into rice for a couple of days and it has worked since. I think it's even snappier!
02-04-2015, 11:10 AM   #13
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by CNunez Quote

Last winter and this winter I am up in the Swedish mountains with temperatures below -20 degrees celisius. I have the camera arround my neck all day, lens pointing downwards without lenscover but with lens hood. Sometimes I fall into the snow and need to clean the front element of the lens. I use the Tamron 17-50 so it is not WR or AW but it works fine. When coming home I either leave it just inside the door to warm up or put it in a towel for an hour or so and then I wipe it dry and clean the front element.

In summer I mostly use the DA*300 that is AW so rain and splashes from lake water often covers the lens and body. I have a small towel to get the worst off and then let it air dry. If it gets muddy i rinse it under the tap using no pressure.

I also have a Sony RX100 that I today used in the cold, -17 degees C and it is still alive after a few close encounters with powder snow today when doing a little offpist but I will not rinse the Sony under the tap

02-04-2015, 11:50 PM   #14

Thanks Tjompen! Sounds
incredibly simple

I can't wait to one day shoot with this in such icy conditions.
02-05-2015, 11:34 AM   #15

I second the plastic bag tip. Usually I'll take the SD cards out before sealing it up though, as it can take a good while to bring the camera up to room temperature. Perhaps I'm overcautious as I do this anytime the temp drops near freezing and definitely below. Just make sure to wipe off any snow/ice from the camera before sealing it up.