Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-08-2015, 02:04 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K3 - any shutter/mirror vibration??

Hi,

I am looking at purchasing a K3 to compliment my 645z due to the Z being extremely difficult to get sharp shots at focal lengths past 150mm because of the shutter vibration.

So I am looking at a K3 with either the new 70-200 or most likely the 150-450.

Can anybody comment on the amount of vibration present in the K3 or if it has an electronic first curtain?

Thanks, Scott

02-08-2015, 02:28 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I haven't experienced much vibration, I've done many 30s exposures without mirror lockup and they haven't been fuzzy. I can't personally compare it to the shutter of a 645z as I don't own one. You can defiantly tell when the shutter fires but it's more of the mirror flop. On mirror lockup the shutter produces minimal to almost no vibration.
02-08-2015, 02:36 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
Hi,

I am looking at purchasing a K3 to compliment my 645z due to the Z being extremely difficult to get sharp shots at focal lengths past 150mm because of the shutter vibration.

So I am looking at a K3 with either the new 70-200 or most likely the 150-450.

Can anybody comment on the amount of vibration present in the K3 or if it has an electronic first curtain?

Thanks, Scott
The K-3 has a newly-designed shutter with hardly any vibrations- it's nowhere near as massive as the one in the 645Z, either. There's no electronic front curtain support, but you can shoot in live with without the mirror moving, or use MLU/the 2s timer during traditional shooting.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-08-2015, 02:47 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The K-3 has a newly-designed shutter with hardly any vibrations- it's nowhere near as massive as the one in the 645Z, either. There's no electronic front curtain support, but you can shoot in live with without the mirror moving, or use MLU/the 2s timer during traditional shooting.
When shooting in live how do you get the mirror not to flop? mine still drops out of live view, drops the mirror, takes the shot then comes back to live view.

02-08-2015, 03:07 AM - 1 Like   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by j2photos Quote
When shooting in live how do you get the mirror not to flop? mine still drops out of live view, drops the mirror, takes the shot then comes back to live view.
The camera will still drop out of live view, and you will still hear the shutter closing, opening and closing for every shot you take, then opening again when you're done, but the mirror stays up. If you listen closely you can hear a difference between the shutter sound in live view and viewfinder shooting, since the mirror moves in the latter (1st video):

Pentax K-3 Review - Performance and Burst Mode | PentaxForums.com Reviews

If you're still not convinced, try looking through the VF

The reason this is possible on the K-3 and not earlier cameras is that the shutter, mirror, and diaphragm can be regulated independently of each other. There's also a new dampening mechanism.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-08-2015, 03:16 AM   #6
Veteran Member

The camera will still drop out of live view, and you will still hear the shutter closing, opening and closing for every shot you take, then opening again when you're done, but the mirror stays up. If you listen closely you can hear a difference between the shutter sound in live view and viewfinder shooting, since the mirror moves in the latter (1st video):

Pentax K-3 Review - Performance and Burst Mode | PentaxForums.com Reviews

If you're still not convinced, try looking through the VF

The reason this is possible on the K-3 and not earlier cameras is that the shutter, mirror, and diaphragm can be regulated independently of each other. There's also a new dampening mechanism.
Thanks Adam! Frankly ive never payed enough attention to it because it just sounded like the mirror was flopping.
02-08-2015, 06:44 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The camera will still drop out of live view, and you will still hear the shutter closing, opening and closing for every shot you take, then opening again when you're done, but the mirror stays up. If you listen closely you can hear a difference between the shutter sound in live view and viewfinder shooting, since the mirror moves in the latter (1st video): Pentax K-3 Review - Performance and Burst Mode | PentaxForums.com Reviews If you're still not convinced, try looking through the VF The reason this is possible on the K-3 and not earlier cameras is that the shutter, mirror, and diaphragm can be regulated independently of each other. There's also a new dampening mechanism.

Much appreciated clarification, Adam. Takes away my worries about mirror-caused shake in LV exposure bracketing mode too, given that I couldn't figure out how to combine the bracketing with mirror lock-up. If I understand you correctly, there is, well, no need to!

02-08-2015, 08:03 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I've run into mirror vibrations with the K3. But the shutter is very smooth. There is a recent thread in the K3 section about this.

When checking the K5 and K3 without lens, in live view in my hands the K5 had less vibration with the full mirror up shutter open close mirror down cycle than the K3, but the K3 in live view had no perceivable vibration in the shutter close, expose cycle where the K5 had perceivable vibration.

This matches my experience in the field. With long lenses at low shutter speed with the normal shutter actuation vibration is issue.
02-08-2015, 08:44 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks Adam.
Well it's either the K3 or I spring for a new Sony Nex say A7000 when it comes out. I have the Nex6 now and I could just get the 70-200.

I just like the pentax layout and feel of the camera. The sensors are good too.

The new FF K body might be worth the wait too.
02-08-2015, 08:54 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
Thanks Adam.
Well it's either the K3 or I spring for a new Sony Nex say A7000 when it comes out. I have the Nex6 now and I could just get the 70-200.

I just like the pentax layout and feel of the camera. The sensors are good too.

The new FF K body might be worth the wait too.
Something tells me it definitely will be worth the wait
02-08-2015, 10:11 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by j2photos Quote
The camera will still drop out of live view, and you will still hear the shutter closing, opening and closing for every shot you take, then opening again when you're done, but the mirror stays up.
This is absolutely true, even for bracketed shots.

Steve
02-09-2015, 12:07 AM   #12

Electronic front curtain?

Adam, what 'electronic front curtain' means?

BTW if I feel (very rarely, just once or twice) K-3 body mirror flapping, does it need service center visit or just firmware upgrade?
At which shutter speeds & other settings the K-3 mirror flap occurs the most (for testing the body)?

-----
There's no electronic front curtain support, but you can shoot in live with without the mirror moving, or use MLU/the 2s timer during traditional shooting.
02-09-2015, 12:19 AM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Prakticant Quote
Adam, what 'electronic front curtain' means?
It's where the camera starts reading the sensor data out electronically instead of relying on the shutter to open.

Adam