Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-09-2015, 10:23 PM   #1
Forum Member

Is a K3 ii likely in 2015?

With all these Pentax announcements that have been coming in recent times Ive been expecting to see a K3 II, but so far nothing..

Is it likely that the K3 will get a revision this year or will the newly announced FF be Ricohs focus for the next 12 months?

02-09-2015, 10:48 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think we'll see a new "flagship" APS-C model later this year, but it won't necessarily be called a K-3 II.

But the last (and only) time I was in Melbourne, the K100D Super still took great pictures. It was only the K200D that could convince me to sell it. Everything else didn't look like it would be an upgrade (at least until the K-x came out). So you're doing pretty well, and anything K-x or newer will be even better. But I shouldn't talk, because as much as I liked my K-x, I eventually sold it and kept my K200D as a second body when I got the K-5. By then I had such nice lenses I could barely get better photos from it than my K-x. For over a year I felt like I'd thrown money away on it, considering how quickly it depreciated (I bought it around launch time). It didn't bother me to have spent nearly that much on a few of my lenses - that didn't seem like a waste at all, once I actually had them in hand (after the initial shock of having spent that much, which only lasted a short time). But on a body that barely improved my photos and is rapidly losing most of its value? The thought kept haunting me, month after month.

Why look for the flagship? Better to get a K-5 IIs or K-3 next time it goes on sale, at the most. Get another lens or two instead. My FA24-90/3.5-4.5 took nice pictures of your beautiful beaches.

Last edited by DSims; 02-09-2015 at 10:58 PM.
02-10-2015, 12:18 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yeah, I could see it add what the S2 has(Wifi, Articulated screen, probably sensor shifting) so I don't know that it is too soon to release something better than what the K-3 is now. I don't think the output wont improve from those few adds so we will see what they will add to before they release. Maybe they will add better video.....but we are Pentax.....we don't need no stinking video :P.
02-10-2015, 12:44 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yes build in wifi, full articulating screen and UHS-II slots to clear buffer faster.

Video isn't overly important to me but adding some better codecs for those that do a lot of video wouldn't go astray.

02-10-2015, 12:48 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I doubt this year. The K3 is still a very capable camera and there is no compelling reason for something more in APS-C for 2015.
I can see firmware and more colors along with discounting that could take us all the way through 2015.

When you have a winner, you let it sell, especially when the FF comes, and people come into stores to hold the FF, they might leave with a K3 instead.
02-10-2015, 01:18 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I don't expect it either.
I don't have the feeling pentax is really planning to get into the ratrace of releasing a new top apsc camera every year.
except for the more consumer oriented camera like the /Kx/Kr/K500/K50,kS1 - 2 ..

But there is always some room for improvement, so maybe a K3 II next year...?
Even if it is only to lengthen its cycle time.
02-10-2015, 01:20 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
I doubt this year. The K3 is still a very capable camera and there is no compelling reason for something more in APS-C for 2015.
I can see firmware and more colors along with discounting that could take us all the way through 2015.

When you have a winner, you let it sell, especially when the FF comes, and people come into stores to hold the FF, they might leave with a K3 instead.
Not shure if i agree, cause a K-3/New K-3 is a different group of targets, then the FF mainly are aimed at. But that said, havent heard anything about more new cameras beside the FF and the K-S2 in 2015..But more lenses will come..

02-10-2015, 02:19 AM   #8

Usually there's a successor for cameras every 2-3 years. (70d/A77)
And although the end of 2015 sounds a great period for releasing a new camera, I think they might wait this one out for the aps-c line. K-3 is still really exciting and they've just released a very capable KS-2, so I presume they will keep the next flagship aps-c on hold until they can come up with more incredible breakthrough/ideas.
This year is for the FF body and new lenses/accessories. They will get their continuous af right this time.(I guess) They must, those 2 lenses depend upon it. Pentax mostly concentrates on one flagship at a time.
02-10-2015, 03:55 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I would doubt it. The K3 is still pretty much top of the line APS-C SLR out there and Pentax is going to have their hands full getting full frame and the necessary lenses for said full frame camera ready for launch. My guess would be early next year they will look at release. Hopefully by then Sony has a new sensor with more magic than the current 24 megapixel one that the K3 has in it.

That's the biggest thing to me. To relaunch the K3 with the same sensor, but incremental improvement in auto focus and video capabilities doesn't feel like it would sell very well -- at least not to current K3 owners. I would guess they would add a tilting or swivel screen as well. Oh well, I think the K3 is still pretty awesome, even this long after launch and it is hard for me to imagine a K3 II being that much better.
02-10-2015, 04:09 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

The K-3 is so heavily discounted these days that a successor seems like it is just around the corner.
02-10-2015, 06:45 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Oh well, I think the K3 is still pretty awesome, even this long after launch and it is hard for me to imagine a K3 II being that much better.
This. And I've gotten by for 15 years without WiFi or a hinged LCD (I have a Refconverter for that) or faster AF or video. If a K-S2 gets down to toy-price some time maybe then.
02-10-2015, 07:56 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
I think we'll see a new "flagship" APS-C model later this year, but it won't necessarily be called a K-3 II.

But the last (and only) time I was in Melbourne, the K100D Super still took great pictures. It was only the K200D that could convince me to sell it. Everything else didn't look like it would be an upgrade (at least until the K-x came out). So you're doing pretty well, and anything K-x or newer will be even better. But I shouldn't talk, because as much as I liked my K-x, I eventually sold it and kept my K200D as a second body when I got the K-5. By then I had such nice lenses I could barely get better photos from it than my K-x. For over a year I felt like I'd thrown money away on it, considering how quickly it depreciated (I bought it around launch time). It didn't bother me to have spent nearly that much on a few of my lenses - that didn't seem like a waste at all, once I actually had them in hand (after the initial shock of having spent that much, which only lasted a short time). But on a body that barely improved my photos and is rapidly losing most of its value? The thought kept haunting me, month after month.

Why look for the flagship? Better to get a K-5 IIs or K-3 next time it goes on sale, at the most. Get another lens or two instead. My FA24-90/3.5-4.5 took nice pictures of your beautiful beaches.
That... is tremendously good advice. I'll wait as well for a couple of generations past my K3. Past a certain point photography becomes a skill and art rather than something to be addressed by the latest technology. Aside from admitting (some of us) that we are engaged in a luxury pursuit (and if so perfectly fine buying the latest body or lens) we likely should upgrade only when its clear it would make a difference and address a want rather than a need.
And if its a need and not critically time dependent, buying a good number of months (or a year or two) after introduction makes great sense.
02-10-2015, 10:15 AM   #13
Veteran Member

If released fairly soon, likely it will be a MKII with articulated screen, hi rez functionality, improved buffer clearing capability in line with the coming FF, and possibly 5-axis IBIS. How much the APS-c can and will improve will be at least partially governed by where the FF will be positioned. If the FF is close to entry level, then you are forced to hold down innovation below it. Ricoh likely understands that it isn't going to wrestle away many of the higher-end users from Nikon or Canon, so economical FF (under $3,000, more likely near $2,500) does alter the entire market strategy for the line.

It would be a mistake for Ricoh to abandon high-end crop given the opening left by the market leaders. Personally, my advice would be give lip service to FF to determine interest, but at least innovate at a similar pace for APS-c to make Pentax the leader in that category. This should include some form of hybrid OVF/EVF while retaining classic dSLR features. The efforts of Ricoh are appreciated, but we still don't see a broad market product strategy that would cause a considerable share of the market to say, "Pentax stands out above the rest." Yes, the quality is great, pricing competitive, and the lenses are different - but the only real game-changer is the 645z with its still-limited market potential.
02-10-2015, 03:36 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
The K-3 is so heavily discounted these days that a successor seems like it is just around the corner.
Except that the manufacturing date was late last year for a bunch of people here. Maybe they are making money at that price.

I'd expect a firmware upgrade this spring that breathes some life into the offering while the r&d push is on ff.
02-11-2015, 04:58 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think they will focus on the FF this year as their flagship DSLR. Lenses, Body, Bundles,... IF they target the enthusiast market. If the FF will be a 4000,00$ monster they have another audience in mind. (What i think unlikely)
They need to bring as much people on the FF-train as possible to establish the Pentax as a FF brand. Releasing a new apsc flagship at the same time wouldnīt help imho.
They should try to get the enthusiast to advance to FF with an affordable body. The new lenses are really expensive and wonīt be affordable for lots of people at the start of the FF life, but they should be goals to advance to in the future.
Canīt wait for the announcement at CP+. After that we will see clearer. (hopefully)