Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
02-11-2015, 05:04 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
When I started using my K-3 the other week, the first thing I did was set the AWB to multi out of curiousity. I didn't really notice any differences until I went out and did some night shots around town, then found myself in the bizarre situation of trying to get my RAW files to look like the SOOC JPGs.

Tungsten and arc sodium lights no longer overpowered everything.

Heres a SOOC JPG from the other day. With my K-30 it would have just been a mass of ugly orange. Now, the lights actually look like they really are.

02-11-2015, 06:29 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
When I started using my K-3 the other week, the first thing I did was set the AWB to multi out of curiousity. I didn't really notice any differences until I went out and did some night shots around town, then found myself in the bizarre situation of trying to get my RAW files to look like the SOOC JPGs.

Heres a SOOC JPG from the other day. With my K-30 it would have just been a mass of ugly orange. Now, the lights actually look like they really are.

Very cool.

I was hoping that the file was original, but the maker notes have been stripped by Lightroom as part of the export.

Steve
02-11-2015, 07:57 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Very cool.

I was hoping that the file was original, but the maker notes have been stripped by Lightroom as part of the export.

Steve

I'll have to see if I can fix that... I actually like having my EXIF data intact. I didn't realize LR was nuking anything.
02-17-2015, 03:24 AM   #19
Veteran Member

In my experience, in certain cases the colours of the camera produced JPG (raw +) are more accurate than what Light Room or other software can offer, unless you do certain tweaks.

02-17-2015, 10:55 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
So your options are JPEG or silky pix.
I've turned the setting off because of the above. I do wonder whether the commercial version of Silkypix handles the multi-white balance, or are you just limited to the software that comes with the camera? (question I guess is to anyone who owns the full Silkypix with a K3).
02-17-2015, 10:57 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
I've turned the setting off because of the above. I do wonder whether the commercial version of Silkypix handles the multi-white balance, or are you just limited to the software that comes with the camera? (question I guess is to anyone who owns the full Silkypix with a K3).
It doesn't hurt to leave it on. My experience is that Lightroom ends up using white balance that is the same as standard auto white balance.
02-17-2015, 11:58 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
It doesn't hurt to leave it on. My experience is that Lightroom ends up using white balance that is the same as standard auto white balance.
I think I've noticed that, too. It would be valuable to have that information available in case the software are updated at a later time (or as more cameras end up with a similar feature).

As it is, in the rare instance where something like the multi-white balance would have been useful, I've used LR's adjustment brushes to emulate that setting, although it is much more improvised over what the camera automatically does.

02-17-2015, 12:28 PM   #23
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
I think I've noticed that, too. It would be valuable to have that information available in case the software are updated at a later time (or as more cameras end up with a similar feature).

As it is, in the rare instance where something like the multi-white balance would have been useful, I've used LR's adjustment brushes to emulate that setting, although it is much more improvised over what the camera automatically does.
Not that I have tried, but shouldn't it be possible to emulate multi-WB with layers in PS? Different WB on different layers, then paint in transparency where needed?

Easier if the camera does it for you, of course.
02-17-2015, 02:23 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Not that I have tried, but shouldn't it be possible to emulate multi-WB with layers in PS? Different WB on different layers, then paint in transparency where needed?

Easier if the camera does it for you, of course.
That's essentially what I was doing with the adjustment brushes in LR. Similar function. I do hope support for the MWB gets implemented in some PP software soon.
02-17-2015, 06:20 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Very cool.

Steve
OK, heres another shot from that night, untouched by LR at all (it's camera - hard drive - flickr).

Looks like the EXIF just lists the WB as 'auto'.

02-18-2015, 09:29 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Shooting RAW+, I didn't see anything that impressed me about the JPEGs' white balance in mixed lighting, so I turned Auto off. I develop both in C1 and LR, and pretty much end up tweaking WB on all shots, so the extra step of adding a mask is pretty simple in either program. You can be a bit more precise in your local adjustments with C1. The extent of WB correction depends on the scene (at least, that's my preference), with photos involving portraits / facial tones demanding greater correction than a street scene. Auto-WB really isn't going to be able to tell the difference. If anything, the preference for setting mild tungsten correction vs. strong correction has more value to me.
02-22-2015, 12:54 AM   #27

Original Poster
Pentax Multi Auto White Balance = Ricoh Multi-P Auto ?

I've found out we should read a little of Ricoh Multi-P Auto, which seems to be a source for K-3 Multi AWB :
Ricoh Forum • View topic - Color of snow "Multi-P Auto" White Balance
www.ricoh.com/r_dc/support/faq/bp/gxr/06/gxr06040.html
www.ricoh.com/r_dc/support/faq/bp/gxr/05/gxr05040.html
07-13-2015, 09:32 PM   #28
Pentaxian

I'd love to see a scene shot twice, AWB (or manual) and multi-AWB. It should make things a lot clearer than two thousand words on the matter Perhaps my K-s1 will provide the answer first though, and I will post them?
07-15-2015, 02:40 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote

What the hang is SOOC?
07-15-2015, 03:00 PM   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
What the hang is SOOC?
Straight Out Of Camera

Steve