Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
02-14-2015, 08:07 AM   #1

How to improve K-3 DA* shots to contemporary Point&Shoot level?

I'd like to improve the quality of my $$$ K-3 + DA* 16-50mm/2.8 shots into what I imagine the quality of the today's point & shoot $150 cameras.
What I'm achevieng now is the quality of my ten years old Nikon Coolpix:
i) shots are never done in a moment, but with 0.5 second (flash) - 1.5 second (live view) lag;
ii) I never got sharp main object, I always get sharp background, or sometimes sharp foreground, if sharp at all;
iii) colour rendering of skin (K-3 setup Multi Auto WB hiper super duper + Portrait mode) of people being portraited does not allow me to show any photos to anybody.
The son of my neighbours got $99 camera, so comes my QUESTION: Should I exchange the Richoh/Pentax K-3 DA* el cheapo kit with him? He wants me to add my old volleyball, which I think might be too much, as I like Ricoh faxing machines.

02-14-2015, 08:24 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well, maybe you can post some pictures so that you can get some advice. Without looking at them it is hard to tell whether there is a problem with your camera, lens or technique.
02-14-2015, 08:30 AM - 1 Like   #3
mee
Veteran Member

I wrote out a really long post trying to help.. then realized it seems he is trolling with the entire thread. sigh..
02-14-2015, 08:34 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I really think a Sony Cybershot would be in order, in this sort of situation. You can get one with 20 megapixels for only about 80 dollars. I know that you'll lose a little cropping ability without the full 24 megapixels of the K3, but it is probably worth it. And the nice thing is that you don't really need to focus, because everything is in focus all of the time.

I really think that for some folks, an SLR is too much work and it is better to go with a point and shoot camera or bridge camera.

And the marketplace is a great place to sell gear too.

Good luck!

02-14-2015, 08:41 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Prakticant Quote
I'd like to improve the quality of my $$$ K-3 + DA* 16-50mm/2.8 shots into what I imagine the quality of the today's point & shoot $150 cameras.
i) shots are never done in a moment, but with 0.5 second (flash) - 1.5 second (live view) lag;
ii) I never got sharp main object, I always get sharp background, or sometimes sharp foreground, if sharp at all;
iii) colour rendering of skin (K-3 setup Multi Auto WB hiper super duper + Portrait mode) of people being portraited does not allow me to show any photos to anybody.
The son of my neighbours got $99 camera, so comes my QUESTION: Should I exchange the Richoh/Pentax K-3 DA* el cheapo kit with him? He wants me to add my old volleyball, which I think might be too much, as I like Ricoh faxing machines.

Stop using it like a point and shoot and learn photography. A K-3 is a professionals tool, not a point and shoot. Just because it costs a lot of money doesn't mean it's any better than a point and shoot if you don't know what you're doing.

1.)Don't use a flash, put it on a tripod, and don't use live view.
2.)See #1, and if your using the viewfinder, your using PDAF which will cure your AF problems.
3.)Don't use MAWB or portrait mode.

I would trade with your sons friend and buy yourself a fax machine to share your photos with.
02-14-2015, 08:44 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I'll throw in a volleyball AND a net. Beat that deal, if you dare.
02-14-2015, 08:44 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Prakticant - I think it's too late for you. Ten years ago with that Nikon Coolpix, you should have learned photography.

02-14-2015, 08:50 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I wrote out a really long post trying to help.. then realized it seems he is trolling with the entire thread. sigh..

If that's the case then it is not a problem with the technique but his mental health. Good for him!
02-14-2015, 08:58 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The short answer to your question is yes. Though you might be better selling the k-3 and buying a coolpix instead of trading, surely the k-3 and all the star glass is worth more than $99 even with the volleyball thrown in?

On the off chance you actually want help instead of just trolling, please post a few pictures with the EXIF intact and a description of what you think is wrong. Many people here are willing to help, but blaming the camera is not going to gain you many friends in a group who use the same gear successfully every day.
02-14-2015, 09:02 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The story has changed, before it was your camera. But this story is funnier!

Assuming you are just trying to get the problem fixed let's start with real and honest dialog.

1) Post the pictures. This is the second time you have made this claim in one way or another and it is certainly possible that your having real problems. It also seems possible (and forgive me if it isn't true) that you are trying to annoy people here.

2) Post pictures of the gear. Include shots of the camera gear with a note with your username and the current date so we know you actually have the equipment you are talking about.

3) Tell us about what the equipment you have is. You have alluded to owning the DA* 16-50 and the 12-24 and possibly the DA* 50-135. The first two of these you mentioned buying used.

4) Tell us about your better photos and post some including what equipment was used. You have mentioned P&S and SLR use - It's a little confusing here.

Be patient. Your results are so far from typical that people are having a hell of a time understanding if you are real or just trying to troll them.
02-14-2015, 09:05 AM   #11
Veteran Member

The photographer is responsible for taking the pictures, not the camera. If you require a camera that can be operated mindlessly, a point & shoot is for you. Sony makes some good ones.
02-14-2015, 09:07 AM   #12
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

The OP is in the wrong thread, and it really smells of casu marzu
02-14-2015, 09:12 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
The OP is in the wrong thread, and it really smells of casu marzu
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/273012-1000-reasons-why-i-...ml#post3155702

Maybe so. I hope he is legit and has a bad pair of lenses. The 16-45 mentioned in the link above is an interesting data point. If indeed that lens works well for him and the 16-50 doesn't he may well have a bad copy.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/286437-h...ml#post3124645

He also mentioned here several other pentax bodies and lenses:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/284534-what...ml#post3123522
02-14-2015, 09:15 AM   #14
Pentaxian

...He wants me to add my old volleyball, which I think might be too much, as I like Ricoh faxing machines.
That's a lot of writing just to get this joke in at the end.
02-14-2015, 09:15 AM   #15
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

closed

From the Forum Rules:
"Although debates and discussions are allowed, we would like to maintain a friendly forum and do not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks or inflammatory posts."
"Advertising, spamming and trolling is not allowed in any part of our site"

Last edited by Parallax; 02-14-2015 at 09:33 AM.
Closed Thread