Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
02-24-2015, 09:04 AM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
Yeah, I didn't know if you had the transmitters. Nice to have, but I like to travel as light as possible, and worry about as few batteries as possible. And to state what's obvious, anything mounted on the hotshoe takes away the ability to use the on-board flash. So, yes, I would encourage you to play with your set-up sans transmitters. Remember, only M is completely dependable (single flash) because you introduce potential error with a pulse (pTTL preflash). Also, M is the only mode that gets you instant shutter release as the K-3 is particularly slow in pTTL. Its a shame so few users understand just how great it is to have M ratio on-board, freeing us from the pitfalls inherent in pTTL.
This flash has a rechargeable lion battery so the batt isn't an issue. Nice to have. I think I can use the cam flash if I use the V85 off camera.

02-24-2015, 12:28 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RodBoy Quote
This flash has a rechargeable lion battery so the batt isn't an issue. Nice to have. I think I can use the cam flash if I use the V85 off camera.
Possibly, the radio system runs off hot shoe (T) and the receiver runs off of the flash (R), but I doubt it works that way, right? So, you have more batteries to track. However, that system looks real good (could use more explanation on the website, though). In any event, learning the on-board flash protocol gives you a back up system at a minimum. Again, I strongly advise using S1 (non-TTL) for greater consistency and quicker response. No matter how good the S2 performs, it is more likely to fail because it has to sense two pulses and time the second one properly.

Finally tracked down instructions. T needs two AAs; R pulls power from the flash. Looks like an impressive design. On the blog, someone suggested providing A (auto) - and that would be a great advancement for Cheetah because so few good, modern set-ups offer it.

Last edited by ScooterMaxi Jim; 02-24-2015 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Found missing info
02-25-2015, 07:31 AM   #18

Original Poster
This flash is the same as many others that are rebranded, i.e. Godox, NeewerTT850. etc. Yes there are batteries in the transmitter. 2 aa's.
I bought from Cheetah because of the reliable support. A little more but worth it I think. It is a very impressive system. This is touted to be the first with lion batteries. I was surprised by that. Why did this take so long?
02-25-2015, 01:39 PM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RodBoy Quote
This flash is the same as many others that are rebranded, i.e. Godox, NeewerTT850. etc. Yes there are batteries in the transmitter. 2 aa's.
I bought from Cheetah because of the reliable support. A little more but worth it I think. It is a very impressive system. This is touted to be the first with lion batteries. I was surprised by that. Why did this take so long?
My best guess is that you need to do some special engineering to ensure against overheating - and possible fire. You'd think Nikon, Canon and Sony would have gotten around to it, and would spend on research to get there. Evidently, the dollars just weren't there. Most pros have dedicated battery packs - and those are isolated from the phototube ignition, obviously. Unlike in the film days and early dSLR adoption, many users see external flash as an option rather than a requirement.