Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2015, 11:43 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Batter Door Issue

I just received my K3 in the mail and spent a day testing. The first thing I noticed was the battery door doesn't sit flush when locked. The door is flush at the hinge but where the pin is inserted into the body is where I see a little bit of a lip and I can fit a finger nail in there.

Has anyone else experienced this issue. I believe it is a defect and I don't have confidence holding the camera in wet weather.

02-22-2015, 12:06 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My K-3's battery door is essentially flush with the body. I would contact your dealer to exchange for a replacement camera.

Steve
02-22-2015, 02:05 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Don't risk it. Return it!
02-22-2015, 03:26 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Do you have the battery door closed properly? When closed, it should look like pic related:

QuoteOriginally posted by bassfishjosh Quote
but where the pin is inserted into the body is where I see a little bit of a lip
A pic will help us visualize that. Do you mean the area circled in red here:

If you are worried about the weather sealing, follow the little rubber gasket that surrounds the inside of the battery door cover. You will notice it wraps around the outside of the part of the battery door cover that presses down on top of the battery, and when the battery door is closed, the battery cover gasket there seals the battery chamber. The area circled in red in the image above where the door hinge is (and where the little spring is) is unsealed, but that's OK. The hinge doesn't need to be sealed.

Last edited by rawr; 02-22-2015 at 04:07 PM.
02-22-2015, 03:38 PM   #5

Original Poster
The metal piece inside of the door is operating properly. The hole where the metal piece slides into when twisting the knob was cut too high. Thanks folks, back in the box return with another on the way.
02-22-2015, 06:12 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The metal piece inside of the door is operating properly. The hole where the metal piece slides into when twisting the knob was cut too high. Thanks folks, back in the box return with another on the way.
Cool!

Sending out-of-spec cameras back through the dealer is the best way to improve the breed. Those cameras make their way through the quality assurance process and help Ricoh find and correct worn-out or defective tooling.

Steve
03-03-2015, 12:59 PM   #7

Original Poster
OK, I just got my replacement in and there is a noticeable difference between the two doors. This one fits flush and has a suction feeling when opening. Very satisfied. Off to film the A380. Joy.

03-04-2015, 08:47 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

OK, I just got my replacement in and there is a noticeable difference between the two doors. This one fits flush and has a suction feeling when opening. Very satisfied. Off to film the A380. Joy.
Cool

That is the kind of happy ending we all like to see.

Steve
03-10-2015, 02:51 PM   #9
Veteran Member

AWESOME!

I would just like to add that other than an M series Leica, Pentax does the best battery doors in the business. It's one of those little things that just makes you smile every time you use it.