Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2015, 07:09 PM   #1

Black and white in K3

I have had my K3 for a week and I'm a beginner, as well as an idiot. How do you take black and white photos? Or do you just convert them after you download them on the computer? I would like to view the pic as black and white on camera, but I can't figure out how to do that. Do I have to manually change the parameters of a certain filter? The manual doesn't seem to address it an any language that I can understand Thanks!!!

02-27-2015, 07:38 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ckschempp Quote
I have had my K3 for a week and I'm a beginner, as well as an idiot. How do you take black and white photos? Or do you just convert them after you download them on the computer? I would like to view the pic as black and white on camera, but I can't figure out how to do that. Do I have to manually change the parameters of a certain filter? The manual doesn't seem to address it an any language that I can understand Thanks!!!
Go in to the custom image menu (right button on the 4-way pad) and select monochrome. There will also be sliders for parameters such as contrast, sharpness, etc.

Note that this only applies to JPEGs. If you shoot in RAW, the full color image will always be captured. If you want both, shoot in RAW+

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-27-2015, 10:55 PM   #3

Original Poster
That was easy! Thank you so much!!
02-28-2015, 01:11 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
On the K-3 , it is not possible anymore to apply B&W filter on Jpegs. We have to shoot raw. This function is available in the K-5 series.

02-28-2015, 01:23 AM   #5

Thanks
02-28-2015, 01:27 AM   #6
Forum Member

I'm not familiar with the K5, but with the K3 there certainly is digital filter options in the info screen which includes bold monochrome, extract colour etc. You can also access in the menu.
02-28-2015, 02:05 PM   #7

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
On the K-3 , it is not possible anymore to apply B&W filter on Jpegs. We have to shoot raw. This function is available in the K-5 series.
Yes it is. Second row of your JPEG style choices, icon says BW. When you choose it with the selection box, it says Monochrome. This only applies to in camera JPEGs. RAW files will not have the style applied to them, which is the same as any other JPEG setting.

02-28-2015, 03:26 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Once you get the hang of straight monochrome, may I suggest trying heavily desaturated color settings? B&W is color with absolutely no saturation. Sometimes adding just a hair of it adds a bit of emotion and feeling that straight B&W misses. It's all about what works for the shot, though.
03-01-2015, 01:09 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Finchj Quote
Yes it is. Second row of your JPEG style choices, icon says BW. When you choose it with the selection box, it says Monochrome. This only applies to in camera JPEGs. RAW files will not have the style applied to them, which is the same as any other JPEG setting.
Yes, I know the JPEG style selection, including the BW choice. The question of the thread was how to convert an existing color JPEG into a BW JPEG. This function is not available in the K-3 , except by using the bold BW option in the digital filters which does not render a standard BW photograph.
03-01-2015, 02:04 AM   #10

I'm sorry, but the OP clearly asks: "How do you take black and white photos?"

The question of converting is about using a computer to accomplish that. If the OP wants to view BW photographs on his camera, he needs to change the JPEG profile.

You are right that you can't change a JPEG taken with a different profile to normal monochrome in camera.

But you can take BW photographs, which was the original question.
03-04-2015, 05:00 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I know it's a bit of a digression, but I'd recommend to the original poster to try taking in black and white, but also try taking your images in color and converting afterward. You get a bit more flexibility.