Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2015, 08:51 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
K3 sr

I've read a couple of reviews for K3 and have not been able to determine if the SR in the K3 is improved over the SR in the K5IIs. Has it been improved, or is it essentially the same?

03-01-2015, 09:37 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tennjed Quote
I've read a couple of reviews for K3 and have not been able to determine if the SR in the K3 is improved over the SR in the K5IIs. Has it been improved, or is it essentially the same?
I have both k-3 and k-5IIs and use them both all the time, but I have not find any noticeable differences. How would that affect the shooting experience? I am not sure if it matters though.
03-01-2015, 10:45 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

According to the specifications on the Ricoh web site the k-5IIs is rated at 4 stops for SR and the k-3 is rated at 3.5 stops. I use both and I do not think there is any detectable difference in real world use.

So to answer your question, no. There is no improvement over the k-5IIs.
03-01-2015, 11:37 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the quick response. As far as shooting experience goes, I would suppose that upgraded SR would allow lower shutter speeds hand held.

Best regards,

03-01-2015, 12:45 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As far as shooting experience goes, I would suppose that upgraded SR would allow lower shutter speeds hand held.
Possibly. Personally I consider a SR a crutch best avoided unless there is no other way to get the shot. Proper holding and breathing technique can get you almost as much as SR anyway. And SR only helps with camera shake, not wind or subject motion, so if you are getting down so slow that SR is the only way to get the shot, other factors will likely intrude that spoil it anyway.

I think 4 stops is about as good as anyone claims, except Olympus. The OM-D E-M5 claims 5 stops. But how that works in the real world is hard to quantify since other factors including the skill of the photographer also apply.
03-01-2015, 10:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member

There's one big difference with SR between the two. The K-5IIs uses mechanical SR in movie mode, the K-3 does not.
03-02-2015, 04:51 AM   #7

Original Poster

I have never heard the SR function operating in my k5IIs. When the Olympus 5 axis SR is operating it can be pretty loud. In the EP5 it sounds like a small vacuum cleaner in operation. The first time I heard it, I thought it was some sort of malfunction.

Regarding my previous comment about manual cleaning of the sensor, I recall hearing/reading that you should not-as a user- take on the task of manual cleaning a sensor in a camera featuring SR/VC as the fragile components associated with the systems can be easily damaged. Conceptually, this makes a lot of sense to me. However, it does not seem to be a major bone of contention in general discussions about SR/VC on the web. I wonder if it is a significant consideration in maintenance of SR/VC cameras.

Last edited by tennjed; 03-02-2015 at 05:36 AM.
03-02-2015, 03:51 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I recall hearing/reading that you should not-as a user- take on the task of manual cleaning a sensor in a camera featuring SR/VC as the fragile components associated with the systems can be easily damaged.
I don't remember ever reading that in relation to Pentax dSLRs. Ricoh/Pentax actually sells a cleaning kit for home use.

Steve
03-02-2015, 06:53 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I don't remember ever reading that in relation to Pentax dSLRs. Ricoh/Pentax actually sells a cleaning kit for home use.

Steve
Thanks for the response.