Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2015, 09:40 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax K-3 SLR Camera - Body Only (Discontinued by Manufacturer)

Saw this in Amazon. Wonder what that means ? Another upgraded body on the way ?

03-05-2015, 09:46 AM   #2
Pentaxian

It doesn't mean anything except some seller is trying to get you to buy it.
03-05-2015, 09:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No other seller that I can find is saying it has been discontinued but maybe an upgrade is on the way.
03-05-2015, 09:54 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hmm....maybe a small store but I don't think Amazon is trying to push more people just to buy it by saying discontinued. They stock a gazillion items so I don't think they are just trying to do it for a single camera. Maybe we will see the K-3II on the way.....or the K-S3....what ever they call it.

03-05-2015, 09:55 AM   #5
Site Supporter

I would think that there would be an announced replacement body before it is discontinued. I imagine it is more than likely due to the port back ups out west due to striking workers.
03-05-2015, 09:55 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rimfiredude Quote
No other seller that I can find is saying it has been discontinued but maybe an upgrade is on the way.
Probably, I just said yesterday it was going to be a while before an upgrade, so it will probably be announced tomorrow. There's a guy over at Pentax who spends his career, making me look stupid. ... but enough about me and my life

And no one say anything about that being an easy job.
03-05-2015, 10:10 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sometimes 'Discontinued' just means 'Can't get shipments right now'. *

* Thank you West Coast ports.

03-05-2015, 10:46 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No question there is a k-3 replacement coming, someday.

But "discontinued" in this case either means a seller trying to reduce inventory, a listing writer that messed up a, or a poor way of saying out of stock.
03-05-2015, 11:18 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
It doesn't mean anything except some seller is trying to get you to buy it.
What he said. This has come up before with certain Amazon sellers. There was a thread about six months ago claiming the same thing about the K-50.

Steve
03-05-2015, 11:19 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JimC1101 Quote
Hmm....maybe a small store but I don't think Amazon is trying to push more people just to buy it by saying discontinued.
Item is through an Amazon reseller, not Amazon itself. The reseller markets through Amazon, but fulfills the order from their stock according to Amazon's fulfillment policies. The listing copy and description are the work of the reseller.

http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-K-3-SLR-Camera-Discontinued/dp/B00FKLQ0LW/ref=s...rds=pentax+k-3

The reseller is "Another Deal Site"

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aag/details/ref=aag_m_ss?ie=UTF8&asin=&isAmazonFulf...#aag_legalInfo

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-05-2015 at 11:26 AM.
03-05-2015, 11:28 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Here is the reseller's listings for Pentax products. Note the number of "discontinued" items...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/node/index.html?ie=UTF8&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER...qid=1425579853

Steve
03-05-2015, 11:50 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Item is through an Amazon reseller, not Amazon itself. The reseller markets through Amazon, but fulfills the order from their stock according to Amazon's fulfillment policies. The listing copy and description are the work of the reseller.

http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-K-3-SLR-Camera-Discontinued/dp/B00FKLQ0LW/ref=s...rds=pentax+k-3

The reseller is "Another Deal Site"

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aag/details/ref=aag_m_ss?ie=UTF8&asin=&isAmazonFulf...#aag_legalInfo

Steve
Ever since Amazon started adding resellers like crazy and not stocking, shipping, and standing behind products that they themselves sold, I've just found little use for the place. You can find independent sellers everywhere from eBogus to... CraigsList... to everywhere. And there's just no reliability behind many of them.

B&H and Adorama gets the vast majority of my business these days, aside from our great members in the Marketplace on PF.
03-05-2015, 06:27 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
Ever since Amazon started adding resellers like crazy and not stocking, shipping, and standing behind products that they themselves sold, I've just found little use for the place. You can find independent sellers everywhere from eBogus to... CraigsList... to everywhere. And there's just no reliability behind many of them.

B&H and Adorama gets the vast majority of my business these days, aside from our great members in the Marketplace on PF.
Yes, but there is a BIG difference between a reseller and a reseller "Fulfilled by Amazon." With "fulfilled by Amazon" you get prime shipping and the great return policy which is basically 30 days no questions asked full refund and free return shipping.

I've bought quite a few items that were "fulfilled by Amazon," can't beat $4.99 overnight shipping and free return shipping no questions asked.

On the other hand I wouldn't touch a reseller that was fulfilling it's own stuff except for rare instances. (Mopar parts for example.)
03-05-2015, 06:30 PM   #14
Veteran Member

It's funny - that Amazon seller lists the K-3, the DAL 35 f2.4, the 50-135, the DFA 100 macro, and a few other items as 'Discontinued', but not the K-5 IIs, or the FA 77, or even the old K-5 itself

Hard to place must trust in what they claim.
03-06-2015, 05:43 AM   #15
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
Yes, but there is a BIG difference between a reseller and a reseller "Fulfilled by Amazon." With "fulfilled by Amazon" you get prime shipping and the great return policy which is basically 30 days no questions asked full refund and free return shipping.

I've bought quite a few items that were "fulfilled by Amazon," can't beat $4.99 overnight shipping and free return shipping no questions asked.

On the other hand I wouldn't touch a reseller that was fulfilling it's own stuff except for rare instances. (Mopar parts for example.)

Regardless of who fulfills your order, Amazon offers the same purchase protections. The only difference is you first try to settle up with the 3rd party, if that's not satisfactory then Amazon will step in. If you go through Amazon to contact the 3rd party, your correspondence is monitored by Amazon. I've had a problem with 3rd party sellers on only a couple of occasions and both times Amazon stepped in and corrected the issue quite promptly.