Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2015, 07:35 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
I think he wants the camera to just automatically compensate back to the original exposure setting without having to fiddle himself. Hence AE.
The only way I know of in M mode is if he started with the exposure settings obtained using the green button, made changes and then used the green button again, providing the original lighting metered had not changed. Ae is still useless to use in M mode. other than that he would need to be in a semi auto mode with his E-dial programming set to function the way he wants if possible.

Edit just saw sterretje post after mine... I agree.

03-06-2015, 07:55 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
Fix the exposure with AE-L and next you can vary aperture by affecting the iso
totally confused now :-)
I thought this is what he wanted to avoid? "vary aperture by affecting iso"
03-06-2015, 09:30 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
totally confused now :-)
I thought this is what he wanted to avoid? "vary aperture by affecting iso"
As far as I understood the opening post, OP wants to fix shutter speed aperture and ISO initially to his liking and next vary aperture without affecting shutter speed. As the only variable left is the ISO, that will change if you fix Tv and change aperture. The approach is actually the other way around (changing ISO affects the aperture) but the result is the same.
03-06-2015, 12:18 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
First off... I think modes are getting confused. He refers back to the Nikon D610, so I think he is confusing the fact that in Pentax, M modes is strictly manual. The other thing is that there is a confusion about how the Pentax operates. The AE lock is really for locking in the current settings. As soon as you adjust a setting, the AE lock is cancelled.

I believe the OP's best option would be to possibly use P mode and override P mode by adjusting whichever setting he wants (e.g. shutter speed) at which point the others will adjust as needed (and if ISO is fixed, it won't change). After he has made the adjustment, then AE lock should be engaged and the shot made. This should work best for flash mode. Otherwise, the OP should use manual mode and manually compensate and adjust the exposure parameters to mentally keep the exposure constant. AE lock shouldn't even mean anything in M mode.

It has been posted in other threads that TAv mode (or any use of auto-iso) is not ideal in combination with flash. Auto-iso while using flash is like a dog chasing its tail.

03-06-2015, 01:23 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by I'm A Pentaxian Quote
After hitting the AE lock button to maintain the above set exposure
That does nothing in M-mode on the K-3

QuoteOriginally posted by I'm A Pentaxian Quote
Surprisingly the D610 does what I want.
Well, then use the D610! The two cameras work differently. On the K-3 M-mode is strictly manual. There is no auto-ISO option in M-mode. The equivalent to M w/auto-ISO is TAv mode (not supported by Nikon). If you want to hold aperture/shutter settings and shift ISO for exposure comp, use M-mode and adjust the ISO up/down using the ISO button as is your preference.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-06-2015 at 01:28 PM.
03-06-2015, 01:41 PM   #21
Veteran Member

If you have not tried it yet, in M mode with flash, EV compensation affects the flash output; as well, you can always change (up or down) ISO on the fly with ISO+rear dial (depending on your programming of your dial). As Stevebrot said, Nikon does not have the TAv mode feature, the closest they can get is M+auto-ISO.
03-06-2015, 02:16 PM   #22
Veteran Member

And of course the problem with TAv mode as I think the OP noticed is that it doesn't play nice with flash.

I think he is just trying to do a bit too much and perhaps expecting everything to be exactly the same. Messing with the different modes, invoking the AE-lock, and then adjusting exposure parameters are going to conflict with each other.

03-06-2015, 03:58 PM   #23

I'm reading AE lock, and manual... I do not compute.

In manual mode, you do not get to use ael, because every aspect of the exposure triangle is manual. There is no setting to lock.

I would suggest to either shoot in a different mode, or simply take a meter reading and convert it accordingly when adjusting the aperture.

By the stops that is. I know it's a pain with using flash, but that's the only way I can think off.
03-06-2015, 08:25 PM   #24

Original Poster
that was also my thought at first. But i can imagine in a shoot, one sets the exposure manually & then for creative things or whatever one wants to change aperture up & down.e.g.
& I think he wants the camera to just automatically compensate back to the original exposure setting without having to fiddle himself. Hence AE.

But the camera chooses iso to compensate back. I think he wants it to use shutter.
Sure it must be possible.

---------- Post added 03-06-15 at 03:26 PM ----------

is it not an option then to use Av mode & put the auto iso range from "100 to 100"?
Hi grispie\

You are absolutely right on the first part. But instead of the shutter speed to compensate. I actually want the ISO to compensate. Not the shutter speed which the K-3 is behaving.

Cheers mate....

---------- Post added 03-06-15 at 08:48 PM ----------

Thanks sterretje. For the solution. It kinda work but still a bit hassle

Sorry if I have confused all fellow Pentaxian..... Its actually very simple and just because I am lazy and need a short cut to this.

Lets say we are in a banquet or a ball room. With a reasonable controlled lighting environment. I set my K-3 to 1/50th of a second shutter speed, Aperture f4 and ISO 2000. And with a crappy Yongnuo full manual no TTL nonsense flash. Was shooting all day and come to a scene where I need to open up the aperture for some "Bokeh", The normal procedure would be, first, drop f number, then press ISO button and compensate. Done. That is the usual steps I normally do.

This laziness came when I realize when using a Nikon D610, on M-Mode with manual ISO, I can actually AE lock the exposure and drop the Aperture, the camera will automatically compensate using ISO and by stops, not by metering with. 2 stop aperture, 2

I guess I could just use back the same old matter. Drop aperture, drop ISO. Up aperture, up ISO. No shortcuts... 2 stops down aperture, 2 stops down ISO. 2 stops up aperture, 2 stops up ISO and repeat repeat repeat and repeat.

Cheers everyone and sorry again for the confusion.

---------- Post added 03-06-15 at 08:54 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Well, then use the D610! The two cameras work differently. On the K-3 M-mode is strictly manual. There is no auto-ISO option in M-mode. The equivalent to M w/auto-ISO is TAv mode (not supported by Nikon). If you want to hold aperture/shutter settings and shift ISO for exposure comp, use M-mode and adjust the ISO up/down using the ISO button as is your preference.

Steve
I wish I could replace the K-3 with the D610. But the D610's auto focusing during low light without the help of the assist light is rubbish..... In this area, the K-3 Gangnam Style Danced in front of the D610. Often without even the needs of the AF Assist light. I guess AF assist light on the K-3 is just for decoration and a torch light if you really need it.

Cheers....

---------- Post added 03-06-15 at 08:56 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
And of course the problem with TAv mode as I think the OP noticed is that it doesn't play nice with flash.

I think he is just trying to do a bit too much and perhaps expecting everything to be exactly the same. Messing with the different modes, invoking the AE-lock, and then adjusting exposure parameters are going to conflict with each other.
You are absolutely right emalvick. Guess I need not to be lazy and work my fingers.....

Cheers mate

Last edited by I'm A Pentaxian; 03-06-2015 at 08:56 PM.
03-06-2015, 09:04 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Well, then use the D610! The two cameras work differently. On the K-3 M-mode is strictly manual. There is no auto-ISO option in M-mode.

Steve
Manual is manual on the K3, I use it pretty much strictly in manual, tried AV and TV but I really prefer to dial it myself.
03-09-2015, 11:29 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I'm thinking you could use Av mode since Av is what you are trying to control the most. I would then manually adjust the ISO and the camera will auto-adjust the shutter-speed. It won't be exactly automatic, but if you know you are going to adjust aperture, you can just visually confirm while you adjust iso that the shutter speed is what you want. It would avoid the need to count stops... i.e. it allows for some laziness. This has actually been how I've shot with my dSLR's the most over the past 7 years until recently (in which I use TAv more). I basically choose an aperture and then adjust the ISO until I see the shutter speed at a value I like (or I adjust aperture if I can't get the combo I want). I now only do this with flash to an extent (when I know I want a specific aperture) since the flash doesn't play too well with auto-iso.

But, you do have to work around what the AE lock gives you. Once you lock the AE, you can't manually adjust anything or it unlocks the AE. Thus:

1. Meter on what you want exposed for
2. Adjust the parameters to get the exposure settings you want
3. Press AE lock so that the settings don't change (if you are going to recompose)
4. Take the shot.

There is nothing lazy about letting the camera decide things. You just have to work with how it's programmed, that's all. I do get in the habit (when I'm not using flash) of using M mode (or even TAv mode) and adjusting shutter speed, aperture, and ISO methodically so that I keep the exposure constant. I've found the key (for simplicity) is to keep the camera settings fixed on 1/2 stops for everything because it is easier to count things in two's for the sake of math. I don't usually bother once I'm in flash mode or I just ignore the influence of flash and count on the pTTL to get things right (using the flash compensation if I need to).
03-09-2015, 01:47 PM   #27
Pentaxian

About AE-L in manual mode

Really?
On my K10 and K5 it does lock exposure, just as the button suggests, and just as one would expect.
And the lock isn't canceled if I adjust either shutter speed or aperture, instead the shutter speed is auto-adjusted if I manually adjust the aperture (and vise verse of course) to maintain the "locked" exposure.

Is that function removed on the K3?

However it doesn't adjust ISO, as the OP has observed.
03-09-2015, 02:29 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Is that function removed on the K3?
no, it is still the same..
03-09-2015, 08:46 PM   #29

Original Poster
Thanks a lot guys for the replies.

I hope Pentax would be kind enough to provide a solutions or so for this matter in future. Oh well, is not really that important anyway. It doesn't matter if they don't.

Cheers and have a great day......
03-09-2015, 09:03 PM   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Really?
I stand corrected. I guess I was aware of this feature, but never use it.

Steve