Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2015, 01:45 AM   #1

Just A Quick Question About K-3 Manual Mode

Hi fellow Pentaxian.

Here is my situation on my K-3. In M mode, lets say I have everything set for example, shutter speed 1/50th of a second, f4.0, ISO 2200. Then I need to open up the aperture in certain shooting condition. After hitting the AE lock button to maintain the above set exposure, I set the aperture to f2.8. Can I set the camera to adjust the ISO instead of changing the shutter speed to compensate my locked exposure? Is kinda annoying because the D610 is perfectly fine in this matter. Oh, and please note that my K-3 is still running the first V1.0 firmware.

Cheers and so sorry for this silly question.

Edited:
Thanks sterretje. For the solution. It kinda work but still a bit hassle

Sorry if I have confused all fellow Pentaxian..... Its actually very simple and just because I am lazy and need a short cut to this.

Lets say we are in a banquet or a ball room. With a reasonable controlled lighting environment. I set my K-3 to 1/50th of a second shutter speed, Aperture f4 and ISO 2000. And with a crappy Yongnuo full manual no TTL nonsense flash. Was shooting all day and come to a scene where I need to open up the aperture for some "Bokeh", The normal procedure would be, first, drop f number, then press ISO button and compensate. Done. That is the usual steps I normally do.

This laziness came when I realize when using a Nikon D610, on M-Mode with manual ISO, I can actually AE lock the exposure and drop the Aperture, the camera will automatically compensate using ISO and by stops, not by metering with. 2 stop aperture, 2

I guess I could just use back the same old matter. Drop aperture, drop ISO. Up aperture, up ISO. No shortcuts... 2 stops down aperture, 2 stops down ISO. 2 stops up aperture, 2 stops up ISO and repeat repeat repeat and repeat.

Cheers everyone and sorry again for the confusion.

Last edited by I'm A Pentaxian; 03-06-2015 at 08:49 PM.
03-06-2015, 01:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

TAv

03-06-2015, 01:57 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
TAv

Hi Steve.

I notice the TAv mode. But it doesn't work. The ISO flies around like nobody business and when I hit the AE lock and adjust the aperture, the camera still compensate with the shutter speed.

The reason why I don't want ISO to be auto is because I am using manual flash. And auto ISO kinda make the pictures' exposure not consistent.

Cheers.....
03-06-2015, 02:29 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by I'm A Pentaxian Quote
Can I set the camera to adjust the ISO instead of changing the shutter speed to compensate my locked exposure?
I think you can,
try the e-dials (if thats the name..) programming in the menu for the M mode, adjust P-line to (hopefully) "iso shift"
I'm no expert on this, but if it is possible, i think thats where you should be looking for it.

03-06-2015, 02:31 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
I think you can,
try the e-dials (if thats the name..) programming in the menu for the M mode, adjust P-line to (hopefully) "iso shift"
I'm no expert on this, but if it is possible, i think thats where you should be looking for it.
Hi grispie..... Thanks alot for the info, Will try it out as soon as I can

Have a great day mate...
03-06-2015, 02:38 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I notice the TAv mode. But it doesn't work. The ISO flies around like nobody business and when I hit the AE lock and adjust the aperture, the camera still compensate with the shutter speed.
i think (!!) that in the same menu, for TAV mode, you might also be able to change the behavior of the camera. But i'm really not home in this department. i just noticed you can play a lot in that menu...
03-06-2015, 02:44 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
i think (!!) that in the same menu, for TAV mode, you might also be able to change the behavior of the camera. But i'm really not home in this department. i just noticed you can play a lot in that menu...
Hi grispie.

I tried what you said earlier on a K-30 and its not working. Unless if the K-3's menu has a differ option from the K-30, not too sure.

What I don't like about TAv mode when using manual external flash is that the ISO keeps flying around depending on the metering. Is awesome when not using flash. But in my case, is quite annoying. But when I hit the AE Lock, and open up my aperture, the shutter speed changes and not the ISO...... Arrrggg.... How come something this simple can be so difficult. Same goes to M mode.... Surprisingly the D610 does what I want.

Cheers......

03-06-2015, 03:33 AM   #8
Veteran Member

What i did yesterday e.g. is: for the M mode in the dial programming, i changed the P line (for measuring with m lenses) to shutter shift instead of iso shift.
Meaning, when i push the green button, and it sets the right exposure, i can choose whether it does that with the shutter or with the iso.

In your case, fixing exposure with AE, & then overruling it, i'd think you'd also be able to choose how the camera should compensate, somwhere in that menu :-)

But i'm really no expert in this, nor do i have the camera with me.
There must be more knowledgable people on this forum...
03-06-2015, 03:34 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Hi grispie.

I tried what you said earlier on a K-30 and its not working. Unless if the K-3's menu has a differ option from the K-30, not too sure.

What I don't like about TAv mode when using manual external flash is that the ISO keeps flying around depending on the metering. Is awesome when not using flash. But in my case, is quite annoying. But when I hit the AE Lock, and open up my aperture, the shutter speed changes and not the ISO...... Arrrggg.... How come something this simple can be so difficult. Same goes to M mode.... Surprisingly the D610 does what I want.

Cheers......
D610 sounds very odd indeed...
03-06-2015, 05:02 AM   #10

Did you check the menu Auto AV Compensation On/Off?
03-06-2015, 05:31 AM   #11
Banned

Doesn't changing one of the settings after you lock exposure cancel out said exposure lock?

In the Auto ISO setup screen you can change the Auto ISO parameter to "slow, normal, or fast", perhaps that would help?
03-06-2015, 06:46 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
After hitting the AE lock button to maintain the above set exposure, I set the aperture to f2.8. Can I set the camera to adjust the ISO instead of changing the shutter speed to compensate my locked exposure?
Is above not in contradiction with below ?? You want auto-iso above but you don't want it below; I'm probably missing something
The reason why I don't want ISO to be auto is because I am using manual flash. And auto ISO kinda make the pictures' exposure not consistent.
I totally agree that you don't want auto-iso with (manual) flash.
03-06-2015, 06:52 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Hi fellow Pentaxian.

Here is my situation on my K-3. In M mode, lets say I have everything set for example, shutter speed 1/50th of a second, f4.0, ISO 2200. Then I need to open up the aperture in certain shooting condition. After hitting the AE lock button to maintain the above set exposure, I set the aperture to f2.8. Can I set the camera to adjust the ISO instead of changing the shutter speed to compensate my locked exposure? Is kinda annoying because the D610 is perfectly fine in this matter. Oh, and please note that my K-3 is still running the first V1.0 firmware.

Cheers and so sorry for this silly question.
Ok maybe I'm dense, If you are in M mode how on earth would any of your exposure settings change without your manually adjusting them? Also to me it seems rather redundant to use AEL in M mode. In M mode if you change from the original metering your exposure metering can change regardless if your using Ael or not but your exposure adjustment settings will not change unless you manually adjust any of them to compensate for any change afaik.

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 03-06-2015 at 07:17 AM.
03-06-2015, 07:17 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
Ok maybe I'm dense, If you are in M mode how on earth are any of your exposure settings changing without your manually adjusting them? Also to me it seems rather redundant to use AEL in M mode
that was also my thought at first. But i can imagine in a shoot, one sets the exposure manually & then for creative things or whatever one wants to change aperture up & down.e.g.
& I think he wants the camera to just automatically compensate back to the original exposure setting without having to fiddle himself. Hence AE.

But the camera chooses iso to compensate back. I think he wants it to use shutter.
Sure it must be possible.

---------- Post added 03-06-15 at 03:26 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
I totally agree that you don't want auto-iso with (manual) flash.
is it not an option then to use Av mode & put the auto iso range from "100 to 100"?
03-06-2015, 07:27 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think I found a solution / workaround using Tv (which actually is what your describing). Set the camera e-dial programming for Tv to control the shutter speed with one dial and the ISO with the other.

So you set your shutter speed directly and set aperture and iso using the other dial; you can use exposure compensation to set the aperture keeping the ISO constant. Fix the exposure with AE-L and next you can vary aperture by affecting the iso.