Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2015, 09:39 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Overall I agree with all the other posters. Two additional small K-3 niggles that bother me are:
1. The P-TTL flash delay. Search for other threads that discuss this topic.
2. The "early shutter penalty" problem. You can't shoot rapid bursts in single shot mode just by pressing the button quickly in succession. Again, search for other threads that discuss this.

Regards,
--Anders.

03-07-2015, 10:06 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've said before on this forum that I bought a K3 just looking for a second good high ISO body, I was very happy with my K5,
Turning off the AA filter on the K3 makes all your glass sharper, you will see a difference, I've not seen any downside in the photography I do (nature, landscape, etc.).
I've had the K3 for a year now, my K5 is probably feeling neglected,
I don't use it as much any more, usually when I'm shooting an event and want to work with two different fast lenses,

I'm pretty happy with having two bodies, largely comparable, but I certainly reach for the K3 first.
03-07-2015, 01:03 PM   #18
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Odd, but I find the complete opposite of this to be true. In fact, just about the only thing that I prefer about the K-5 over the K-3 is that the recorded dynamic range on the K-5 is significantly better than that on the K-3. This was somehting that was well-discussed when the K-3 was introduced, as well. It's the tradeoff for the smaller photosites that bring the K-3 sensor its higher resolution.

Anecdotally, I consistently find there to be far more leeway for both boosting shadows and recovering highlights when I develop RAW in LR, particularly at lower ISO, and the midtones are far less likely to posterize when pushed either way. Perhaps your sunset results can be explained by the well-known red channel clipping bug affecting the K-5. which is easy enough to effective overcome during the RAW development process.
It could be I have just grown some more confidence as a photographer in the past year too, and how far I push the sensors. I don't have the K5 any more to run side by side comparisons with the same lens. So just my subjective observation. I am quite happy for it to be wrong
03-07-2015, 01:17 PM   #19

Odd, but I find the complete opposite of this to be true. In fact, just about the only thing that I prefer about the K-5 over the K-3 is that the recorded dynamic range on the K-5 is significantly better than that on the K-3. This was somehting that was well-discussed when the K-3 was introduced, as well. It's the tradeoff for the smaller photosites that bring the K-3 sensor its higher resolution.

Anecdotally, I consistently find there to be far more leeway for both boosting shadows and recovering highlights when I develop RAW in LR, particularly at lower ISO, and the midtones are far less likely to posterize when pushed either way. Perhaps your sunset results can be explained by the well-known red channel clipping bug affecting the K-5. which is easy enough to effective overcome during the RAW development process.
i agree with you that the K-5 has a comparably better dynamic range than any other cams in its category..

03-07-2015, 03:35 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FireDog Quote
Are there any surprises that might piss me off sufficiently to regret my decision?
Button placement on the battery grip has been pissing me off pretty constantly. I hold the camera and try to show someone photos on the screen and some part of my hand keeps hitting a button on the grip which makes the screen shut off. Took me a couple weeks before I realized the camera wasn't buggy as hell and it was just my hand. And also with the grip, if I forget and don't check my exposure after letting the camera hang at my side for a bit, sometimes I have unpleasant surprises when reviewing the photos (like the time I was in TAV mode, originally at something like 1/160 and f/5.6 with the ISO coming around 3200-6400, and somewhere along the line the shutter speed dial scraped against my leg or something and ended up at 1/800, then 1/1250, then 1/2000, and finally 1/3200 by the time I noticed it. (I had image review turned off so the light from the camera wouldn't disturb other people watching the performance).

And the magnification in live view was made really annoying compared to the k5. And AF selection mode, having to hit a button and twist a dial instead of just flip a switch? That's pretty damned annoying, too.

But are any of these things that would make someone regret upgrading to the K3? I don't think so. I don't.

And those images at 1/3200? Even at ISO 12,800 and with a post boost of 1 1/3 stops, some of them were still usable, even in color. Not sure if they would have been on the k5, assuming it even got the dancer in focus in shoddy lighting.
03-07-2015, 03:55 PM   #21
Pentaxian

I've had my K-3 since about 2 months after it came out. I have never used my K-5 again since it arrived, preferring my K-01s as alternate bodies. Get the K-3, lol.
03-09-2015, 12:21 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I really like my K3 vs. the K5. The only thing I don't care for are some of the buttons and handling as others have hinted at. I hate the video mode switch because it protrudes a bit and accidentally gets changed sometimes without my realizing it. The only other thing I didn't like is that with the 24 MP, initially I felt like my images were coming out softer, but in some cases it was just the smaller pixels. You really can't pixel peep at that resolution. It's useless.

The things I really like is the much improved autofocus. The sharper images because of the software AA toggle. The second SD card slot has been a piece of mind when I am shooting important shots. I find the auto-exposure seems to perform better. I find that I almost never need to adjust for it in PP. I like the high-speed shutter speed. I occasionally shoot bracketed shots for HDR and the camera is so much faster than it was with the K5. It's a great camera.

03-11-2015, 03:10 PM   #23

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Button placement on the battery grip has been pissing me off pretty constantly. I hold the camera and try to show someone photos on the screen and some part of my hand keeps hitting a button on the grip which makes the screen shut off. Took me a couple weeks before I realized the camera wasn't buggy as hell and it was just my hand. And also with the grip, if I forget and don't check my exposure after letting the camera hang at my side for a bit, sometimes I have unpleasant surprises when reviewing the photos (like the time I was in TAV mode, originally at something like 1/160 and f/5.6 with the ISO coming around 3200-6400, and somewhere along the line the shutter speed dial scraped against my leg or something and ended up at 1/800, then 1/1250, then 1/2000, and finally 1/3200 by the time I noticed it. (I had image review turned off so the light from the camera wouldn't disturb other people watching the performance).

And the magnification in live view was made really annoying compared to the k5. And AF selection mode, having to hit a button and twist a dial instead of just flip a switch? That's pretty damned annoying, too.

But are any of these things that would make someone regret upgrading to the K3? I don't think so. I don't.

And those images at 1/3200? Even at ISO 12,800 and with a post boost of 1 1/3 stops, some of them were still usable, even in color. Not sure if they would have been on the k5, assuming it even got the dancer in focus in shoddy lighting.
Some of what you describe I've had happen with my K-5. Damned lazy fingers.
Interesting about the higher ISO's. I like that. Thanks.
Menu sequencing always change model to model. Like MS Windows.

---------- Post added 2015-03-11 at 17:18 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
Hi Michael,

OK, I had an old original K5 and moved to a K3, so I will try to help a bit.

K5 is a good camera, and unless you are printing huge or cropping heaps then you will not need the step up in resolution.

Having said that the K3 with the AA filter off, and extra sensor does give you a lot more detail in the image - it is noticeable.

Other good stuff with the K3:
Screw mount lenses focus faster
The focusing overall is a lot quicker and more decisive than the K5, and overall you just get a much better focussing system
The rear LCD is a lot sharper

The bad/different stuff with the K3:
It is heaver - noticeably so in the hand - I really wish it was the same weight as the K5, as that felt 'just right' in my hands with a range of lenses. It took me a while - say 3 months to get used the the K3 in the hand. I don't notice it so much now, but I still wish it was lighter.
The batteries don't last as long as the K5 - again a noticeable difference
The colours (even in RAW) are different - different sensor, different way the RAW converter handles (I use Apple Aperture for this). I really used to like the K5 RAW colours I got, and again it took a while to get used to the difference with the K3. The advantages with the K3 are there is a lot more fine detail colour info recorded in RAW. Now that I am used to the sensor, and what it gives me - I will take images of sunsets that I wouldn't have bothered with the K5 - because I know the info is there, and I can pull it up in post. Even if I can't see it on the LCD. So - different colours that take getting used to (best way to describe is they feel flatter initially), but definitely more scope and 'headroom' with the K3
Bigger files - especially RAW. K5 were about 15MB, K3 are typically 25MB. This means bigger SD cards, and you will fill hard drives or SSDs quicker. Just need more spec on your computer really.
Finally - the 24MP sensor 'punishes' you much more than the 16MP sensor if you don't get it right - i.e. your technique has to be better, your focus better etc. etc (as a side note, I can only imagine what a 36MP or 50MP sensor demands out of you). Simply, when you get everything set right you will be stunned, if you get settings or focus a bit wrong you will be punished - I think this is a function of how good it can be when you get everything right, and how much you notice when it isn't like that - but be warned, it is a step up from the K5's 16MP sensor. The K3 has forced me to up my game a bit over the K5.

I think that is about it - it took me a good three months to get used to my K3 after the K5 and be really comfortable and happy with it. Having said that, I was in New York the day I brought the camera, and that day was about Manhattan, and got several stunning images which I am still particularly happy with.

I have had the K3 nearly a year now, and wouldn't go back to the K5 - the much better autofocus system, and what you can get from the 24MP sensor with no AA filter have spoilt me.

You will make your own decisions, based on a range of information. I wish you the very best with your decision making. In the end if you keep the K5 you still have a superb camera, and if you buy the K3 you will also have a superb camera. So you can't miss either way

Ross
Thanks for the detailed analysis. Very helpful. I am convinced. Just need to find tthe money?
To the few on here that suggested waiting for the FF, it will probably cost an arm and a leg first time out
And then will all lenses work equally well. FF adopters are bound to be disappointed.
03-11-2015, 10:48 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Other than things already mentioned, K3 has much better AWB and has far less issues under tungsten light. I always had random FF or BF with K5 before under those light conditions.
03-12-2015, 01:03 PM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Deals on the K-3 are excellent right now.
03-13-2015, 08:22 PM   #26
Veteran Member

The overall assessment in previous posts pretty much hit the target. While I didn't own the K-5, there are a few observations that can be made given that I have owned the 16 mp cameras that perform similarly to it.

First, the dynamic range argument has some merit, but this is only related to ISO 80 on the K-5 (not present on the K-3). Starting at ISO 100 onward, the DR is almost identical. At higher ISO, I believe you get more detail out of the K-3 if you use good micro-contrast enhancement (such as Structure in Capture One; nothing similar exists in LR) and somewhat stronger NR for corresponding balance. Done correctly, this can slightly magnify shallow DoF and give the appearance of FF performance.

Second, weight can be a bit of an issue. Lighter lenses, including most primes, have almost no feel at the front. Medium weight lenses feel nicely balanced on the K-3. Personally, I like to shoot with a hand strap (not a neck brace), and if the K-3 weighed an ounce more I'd be somewhat unhappy. But I'm a bit of a wimp and don't go around looking for arm wrestling challenges. Your mileage might vary.

Third, the image sharpness comparison is far more than the difference in pixels. As a K-30/K-01 user with a nicely implemented "lite" AA filter, the K-5 AA is pretty clearly a dulling element. So, removing the AA does make a huge difference (as the K-5iis users have consistently attested). It wouldn't surprise me if at least part of the DR advantage attributed to the K-5 corresponds with some minor softening of shadow noise. Just a theory. Thank you, I'd rather deal with that noise on my own.
03-14-2015, 03:33 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the main difference is that the K5 has iso 80 and the K3 doesn't. I find that the K3 is almost exactly the same as my K-01 (which doesn't have iso 80 and only has 12 bit processing) with regard to dynamic range. I would say that there are few photos where there would be too much dynamic range for the K3 at base iso, but the K5 could handle it.

If in doubt, I shoot multiples exposures on both cameras.
03-24-2015, 11:25 AM - 1 Like   #28

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FireDog Quote
Hi
I'm an infrequent visitor. None the less, I would appreciate any feedback.
I own a K-5, old model, which has served me well. I have a mix of lenses. Most Pentax. Limited or Star.
I'm considering upgrading to the K-3.
The two main reasons are the increased resolution and the anti-alias option.
Are there any reasons I should stay with my K-5?
Are there any surprises that might piss me off sufficiently to regret my decision?
I've read the reviews and the various discussion threads - all more or less good.
My lenses -
14mm, the three amigos, 55mm, 100mm macro, 50-135mm, 300mm
and the Sigma 17-50 EX 2.8 (so shoot me)
PS: I also have the standard kit lens - I call it my party lens - if it breaks - stuff happens.
SO
Pentaxians - do I bite the bullet - you FX dudes, keep it to yourself!
thanks in advance
Michael
Thanks to all who posted. I now have a K-3. Hm...the menu system is going to be a bit of a learning curve.
There was one very pleasant surprise. It's lack of mention in these forums suggests the average age on here. The surprise was the view finder diopter adjustment. It's now a small dial to the side of the eye piece. The K-5 is a slide behind the rubber cup. It may seem trivial but to these old eyes, with bad and good days, this is a major advancement in ergonomics. You see, I'm 68!

Last edited by Unregistered User 8; 03-10-2018 at 10:58 PM. Reason: remove swearing from quote
03-24-2015, 12:46 PM   #29

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
Is that it... that's all?

Now, there's nothing wrong with the K-3 as a replacement, but it's so... well, so... 2013.

Assuming your reasons are accurately stated, consider the K-S2, or the K-S1 as a placeholder, then re-think things once the new FF gets its shakedown cruise by the early adopters.

...my 2 loonies... M
Hey dude...I said the FF/FX crowd should keep it to themselves.
Your response has suffered serious deprecation since you posted.
The K-S? is a colourful consumer grade camera.
I was looking for a K-5 upgrade.
I have found it in the K-3. I now have to learn all the nuances.

---------- Post added 2015-03-24 at 14:50 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Deals on the K-3 are excellent right now.
I got mine from Amazon.ca.
If the Loonie hadn't taken such a drop I could have done even better.
The vagaries of FX. Hey Nikon - that's not a camera format
03-24-2015, 04:45 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry if I repeat anything said by other posters. Own both a K5 and K3, as well as a K20 that is still used. Would take the K3 in an instant, BUT, were I buying now, I would look very hard at the K2s if for no other feature than the articulating screen, AND, I would certainly wait to see what the full frame offered, and at what cost.

ADDED.
Two things I really like about the K3 that may not have been mentioned by others: focus peaking and magnified live view.

Something I don't like about the K3: the color balance button, @ 3 o'clock of the 4-way controller, is too easy to press with my right thumb when shooting off tripod. This sometimes produces a group of images with wildly improbable colors.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 03-24-2015 at 04:52 PM.