03-30-2015, 02:37 PM   #16

Original Poster
Not if I want to capture slow moving clouds

03-30-2015, 02:52 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PenTex Quote
Not if I want to capture slow moving clouds
Well, you can shoot up to 2000 frames, so as long as it's not high noon, you should get something interesting. Even with a 1/50s exposure, you can get an effective exposure of 40s - that's pretty good! Also, if you use interval shooting for "blurry cloud" shots, and your interval is much higher than the exposure time, you're likely to get a kind of "zebra effect" as lines of high contrast move in the sky. If you look carefully, you can see this in the following shot, which I took with the K-01's multi-exposure mode, where you have to fire each individual frame separately. As I recall each frame was a 4s exposure, and I waited maybe 4-5s between frames.

Look at the darkest cloud to the right of the frame, you'll see what I'm talking about. Had I shot this with a K-3, I would definitely have used a sequential multi-exposure rather than an interval composite...

Last edited by Doundounba; 03-30-2015 at 02:59 PM.
03-30-2015, 02:59 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by PenTex Quote
Yes - long exposures with motion blur is what I am going for... So we agree that this is the way to do it.

I'm debating on a quality 10-stop ND filter and I want to dabble with this style of photography before I drop the dough on one.
Yes, I agree. And especially if you want long intervals and/or many exposures. The K3 may add or average up to 2000 exposures. That would be quite tedious if you had to operate it with a manual shutter release, be it remote or not.

Cheers,