Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2015, 06:45 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is K3 AF more accurate than K5II

Maybe been answered somewhere..but is the DA*300 more accurate in focus than the K5II? when I get a good shot in focus with the DA*300 its perfect,but many misses,even though AF is locked on. I only use center point AF--mostly birds & BIF. larger animals have a lot more keepers
Also I plan to get the 150-450,but wonder if it will be only so so on my K5II???
I know the K3 is cheap now,but think the new FF must have better AF,especially for the new teles out..so in a bit of a dilemma....
I hope the FF is 50MP/24 crop then a no brainer which to get ,just hard to wait as migrating birds are out now..and can only afford 1 new camera+the 150-450 this year
Thanks for any advice

04-07-2015, 07:01 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I can't answer your question, but the K-3 now is just a fraction of what the FF will cost. But if you're not sure you could rent one to try it out.
04-07-2015, 07:08 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
Maybe been answered somewhere..but is the DA*300 more accurate in focus than the K5II? when I get a good shot in focus with the DA*300 its perfect,but many misses,even though AF is locked on. I only use center point AF--mostly birds & BIF. larger animals have a lot more keepers
Also I plan to get the 150-450,but wonder if it will be only so so on my K5II???
I know the K3 is cheap now,but think the new FF must have better AF,especially for the new teles out..so in a bit of a dilemma....
I hope the FF is 50MP/24 crop then a no brainer which to get ,just hard to wait as migrating birds are out now..and can only afford 1 new camera+the 150-450 this year
Thanks for any advice
To answer your question, no, not really. Both the K-5 IIs and the K-3 have the same great accuracy and low light capabilities, and the extra points won't make much of a difference if you're sticking with the center point. The K-3 has a faster screwdrive motor but obviously this wouldn't affect the performance of your 300mm.

I doubt the FF will have 50 megapixels, since there isn't really a sensor on the market Pentax would use (Canon probably wouldn't sell theirs).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-07-2015, 07:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Sorry to contradict Adam but I do think that AF on K-3 is more accurate than on K-5II. I had both of them and with K-3 the focus is way more accurate. Do not know why, but my best guess will be that the increased sensor resolution helps tremendously... Just my 2c.

YMMW

04-07-2015, 08:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I can't speak for the K3, but I have been amazed at the excellent focusing abilities of my new K5IIs. Even on my slow and sluggish Bigma, the focus is fast and accurate much more often than not...even in low light. The Bigma can hunt longer than a hound dog with three legs, but with the K5IIs it is as quick as a cat! No complaints here...none!

Regards!
04-07-2015, 11:21 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I purchased my DA* 300 after I sold my K-5IIs. I currently own a K-3 and AF on my DA* 300 is the slowest, hunts the most, and worst accuracy of any K mount AF lens I've used. I've used about twenty of them.
04-07-2015, 11:49 PM   #7

My K3 was sent with claim because of autofocus. I bought it in November last year. I could not calibrate lenses (different), because the value was every day different and I did not know which one is correct... With k5 after 3 years I still do not have such problem...

04-08-2015, 02:59 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Hey Adam, just curious with your statement of the difference between K5ii/s and K3 focusing accuracy.

Although I do not own any of them, specs-wise, I would believe the K3 would be more accurate due to having more AF points within the same surface area.
As we all know, up to the K3 model, all Pentax DSLRs has dinner-sized plate AF points.

Therefore, wouldn't a significantly smaller AF point be more accurate in aiding the camera to pick between focusing on a dot or a single letter in a sentence?

Unless of course the increased number, hence smaller, of AF points of the K3 is just some fake gimmick from Pentax.

Would you or anyone else help test it out?

PS: A dinner sized AF point would pick the contrast between the edge of a BIF against the cloud behind vs a smaller AF point which would pick the contrast of the EYE of the same BIF scenario; the latter being the intended photographer's AF point.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
To answer your question, no, not really. Both the K-5 IIs and the K-3 have the same great accuracy and low light capabilities, and the extra points won't make much of a difference if you're sticking with the center point. The K-3 has a faster screwdrive motor but obviously this wouldn't affect the performance of your 300mm.

I doubt the FF will have 50 megapixels, since there isn't really a sensor on the market Pentax would use (Canon probably wouldn't sell theirs).
04-08-2015, 03:23 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Is K3 AF more accurate than K5II
AF is accurate if the image content falling into the AF center point sensor area has enough horizontal or vertical detail/contrast to focus on.
K-3 has a smaller center AF area (relative to K-5) so it may help or not, depending on what you focus on.
With K-5 and K-3, I shot birds in flight together with my friend having a 7D (7D is famous for its excellent AF...) but 7D also misses some shots simply because it can't AF on flat focus target either... so, phase detect AF always have limitations. It is simply not true that AF can 100% succeed, regardless of the camera used. With the DA300, while you're focusing, the image covered by the center AF sensor is moving (unless on tripod mounted), which make it harder for the AF for lock. I'd say that the advantage of the K-3 is that you can set the amount of AF hold in AF-C mode, this feature does not exist in the K-5. I don't know is AF-C hold can be customized on the K-5ii . Also, with the K-3, I've found out that 9 center points AF works best since it can be pretty hard to have the AF center point remain on target while tracking birds.

Practically, the difference that I experience [with my copies of DA300, K-5, K-3] is that K-5 won't lock even if the image in 99% in focus, while the K-3 is able to lock. With the K-5 that I have , I consider that the accuracy constraint is too restrictive (because you can't take the shot if not 100% in focus, even when it is good enough to be usable). The K-3 will lock and take the shot if AF is "good enough". Also, at 200mm (Tamron 70-200), I get more keepers than with the DA300. And with DA300 + x1.4TC it's even harder...any slight movement of the camera+lens @ 630mm equ. displace the AF point while AF process is running.

In short, I don't think the K-3 AF is more accurate , I think that K-3 AF is better designed for dynamic shots simply because it has more AF points.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 04-08-2015 at 03:38 AM.
04-08-2015, 04:08 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Barbarag Quote
My K3 was sent with claim because of autofocus. I bought it in November last year. I could not calibrate lenses (different), because the value was every day different and I did not know which one is correct... With k5 after 3 years I still do not have such problem...
This was exactly my experience too. Terrible accuracy from the K-3 with seemingly daily changes required in AF adjustment amounts. No such problem with my K-5.
04-08-2015, 08:25 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Accuracy vs. precision vs. speed vs. tracking vs. low light vs. ability to acquire...all different, and all related.

You can be accurate without being precise and precise without being accurate
You can be fast without being able to track (and vice versa though you would not be able to detect)
You can be reliably able to acquire without being fast, accurate, or precise

Etc., etc., etc....

The question is not whether the K3 AF is more accurate than "x" camera, but whether at the end of the day the AF system did not get in your way and that the results are usable. If not, perhaps a Nikon might be the answer (best AF on the planet)*.

Steve

* That being said, even Nikon is not able to read the photog's mind as to focus point
04-08-2015, 08:53 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Thanks for any advice
Adam is correct the intrinsic accuracy of the two cameras is identical (most accurate sensor is the same)

But in use the k3 is likely to be more accurate than the k5ii
Because ....

K3 has more high accuracy sensor
K3 processor is quicker
K3 Af algorithms are more refined
K3 AF modes can be tuned
k3 has more sensors
k3 has higher density sensor

So in use most people will find more shots in focus with the K3 than the k5ii

---------- Post added 08-04-15 at 04:58 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Accuracy vs. precision vs. speed vs. tracking vs. low light vs. ability to acquire...all different, and all related.

. If not, perhaps a Nikon might be the answer (best AF on the planet)*.

Steve

* That being said, even Nikon is not able to read the photog's mind as to focus point
Not @ -3 Ev

Seriously though as you've pointed out a lot depends on processor and manufacturers intent in the design
giving IMHO

Canon = fastest but least accurate
Nikon = Best fuzzy logic tracking and accurate
Pentax = least finicky will AF almost anything to f12
04-08-2015, 09:05 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I find the K-3 way more accurate using the single centre point. However, in order to increase my burst rate I extended my focus to 9 point, and the results were terrible. So, I'd say you can set the k-3 to perform better than a K-5 series camera, but not necessarily depending on the settings. I've never experienced a single point focus being off, whichever one was selected.

Last edited by normhead; 04-08-2015 at 09:15 AM.
04-08-2015, 10:22 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I find the K-3 way more accurate using the single centre point. However, in order to increase my burst rate I extended my focus to 9 point, and the results were terrible. So, I'd say you can set the k-3 to perform better than a K-5 series camera, but not necessarily depending on the settings. I've never experienced a single point focus being off, whichever one was selected.
Depends, did you use center point AF-C ? AF-S ? AF priority? Anyway, with the dust proof 18-135, the kind of birds you are shooting must be really big.
04-08-2015, 10:43 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Depends, did you use center point AF-C ? AF-S ? AF priority? Anyway, with the dust proof 18-135, the kind of birds you are shooting must be really big.
When I go out shooting birds... A-400 or DA*60-250 + 1.4 TC on the K-3, DA 18-135 on the K-5. With the A-400, all you get is s centre point. AF priority slows you down. You just have to remember to partially depress to refocus if your animal changes position. I almost always use AFs, with the exception maybe of birds in flight, if I have time to switch, and I remember, I might go to AF-c.

Did you really want to know or were you just being sarcastic?